0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Russian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:31 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

If I was Toto, I'd make sure an AMG two seater was delivered this week to Valtteri and and the biggest S series for V's wife.

No better way to say Thanks for following team orders.

Good line from the announcers: ."Wolff is feeling sheepish."
Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
I disagree with most, I think MB’s strategy was both expected by every savvy F1 fan watching and absolutely the right call given how dangerous Vettel and Ferrari still are. With the driver’s championship mathetically not yet in the bag, MB HAS to favor a Hamilton win (critical for points) over a Bottas win (really just a moral victory). Bravo to Toto for making the gutsy, yet unpopular call...this is big money sports not backyard racing and team strategy comes first. Ferrari, Red Bull and Force India need to watch and learn how you win a championship! If there was one flaw, it was that apparently Bottas wasn’t informed of the expected team order ahead of the race however as a consumate professional, his post-game comments show that he totally understands the situation. Hamilton was equally very gracious and empathic to Bottas, (a total classy move)...and this explains why Hamilton/Bottas is currently the best driver pairing in F1 right now.

Understand yes
Expect maybe
Bad for the sport absolutely
last lap when 1 - 2 was secure Lewis should have given back
Bottas class act and consummate teammate absolutely
Hamilton “classy” and “gracious” those are oxymorons
Hamilton one the biggest chip on the shoulder pieces of s@@t to driver in sport, YES
Old 09-30-2018, 08:44 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis

Understand yes
Expect maybe
Hamilton one the biggest chip on the shoulder pieces of s@@t to driver in sport, YES

Ad hominem much?

Good strategy is good strategy. One shouldn't have to apologize for it. Here's hoping Seb folds up again (although the pressure is mostly off now) and Hamilton can let Bottas by in one of the remaining races this year. Kudos to Bottas for being a team player, kudos to Toto for making the tough call, Kudos for Hamilton in giving credit where it is due. And Kudos to Max for making the race worth watching.

Debo sends.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I voted for Bottas, technically I won as much as he did. It’s the right call. Later in the season if Ham has the WDC in the bag, I hope he returns the favor. Interesting post-race interview with Toto.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:33 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Debo18D
Ad hominem much?

Good strategy is good strategy. One shouldn't have to apologize for it. Here's hoping Seb folds up again (although the pressure is mostly off now) and Hamilton can let Bottas by in one of the remaining races this year. Kudos to Bottas for being a team player, kudos to Toto for making the tough call, Kudos for Hamilton in giving credit where it is due. And Kudos to Max for making the race worth watching.

Debo sends.
just curious, what makes this a tough call for Toto to earn kudos? I’m pretty sure he could careless about the court of popular opinion and would make this call 100 out of 100 times.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:38 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw

just curious, what makes this a tough call for Toto to earn kudos? I’m pretty sure he could careless about the court of popular opinion and would make this call 100 out of 100 times.

Truth. Excellent point.

D.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Understand yes
Expect maybe
Wow is all I can say to the vitriol and insane personal attack against Hamilton in this post. The fact that you suggest that Hamilton should have given the position back when the 1-2 “was secure” shows that you have absolutely no clue what the discussion is. The issue isn’t MB going 1-2 (this helps MB in the Manufacturers Championship regardless of driver order) but which driver gets the 25 1st place points, (I.e. for the Driver’s Championship). You clearly have something against Lewis Hamilton and I suggest you take your issue up with your therapist. Bad for the sport...this IS the sport and MB has been the best at it the last couple of years. Me thinks the person with a chip on their shoulder is you...what a terrible and useless post.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,886 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Let's not forget that the drivers work for the teams. Their job requires following team orders. The team isn't really there to support the drivers - the drivers are there to support the team objectives, and the teams are huge. Quite different from a sport like tennis, where it really IS about the athlete, and the athlete pays the team to support him/her.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:50 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Debo18D
Ad hominem much?

Debo sends.
^^ This
Old 10-01-2018, 12:37 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob

Wow is all I can say to the vitriol and insane personal attack against Hamilton in this post. The fact that you suggest that Hamilton should have given the position back when the 1-2 “was secure” shows that you have absolutely no clue what the discussion is. The issue isn’t MB going 1-2 (this helps MB in the Manufacturers Championship regardless of driver order) but which driver gets the 25 1st place points, (I.e. for the Driver’s Championship). You clearly have something against Lewis Hamilton and I suggest you take your issue up with your therapist. Bad for the sport...this IS the sport and MB has been the best at it the last couple of years. Me thinks the person with a chip on their shoulder is you...what a terrible and useless post.
So a few points. First, you are right I respect Lewis as a driver and I acknowledge his abilities but do not like him as a personality. Second You proved my point for me, which I appreciate, MB should be securing the constructors championship and allowing their drivers to race. As far as the drivers championship Lewis was still ahead of Vettel and still would be picking up 3 more points more than Vettel finishing second. Thus points today are Lewis at 306 vs 256 for Vettel and had Bottas been allowed to win Lewis would have 299 vs Vettel 256. It is my belief that Toto once securing that his team would get the maximum points (with a 1-2 finish) and realizing that Lewis would still end the day with a 43 point advantage should have let Bottas enjoy the victory as truth be told he rarely outpaces Lewis in qualifying and the race. I understand why they did it but don’t have to like it as a viewer or a fan.

Last point. You use the words and phrases vitriol, terrible, useless, take it up with your therapist. I did not personally attack you or your pal Debo. So do me a favor and don’t personally attack me. You have an opinion as do I.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:43 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts

Too bad this gifting of the race win to Hamilton has overshadowed the great result by LeClerc.

He beat the Haas, Force India, and factory Renault teams! If Sauber depended on Ericsson to get the job done, they wouldn't have gotten any points. Wow, I can't wait to see him in that Ferrari next year!
Old 10-01-2018, 01:37 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

So a few points. First, you are right I respect Lewis as a driver and I acknowledge his abilities but do not like him as a personality. Second You proved my point for me, which I appreciate, MB should be securing the constructors championship and allowing their drivers to race. As far as the drivers championship Lewis was still ahead of Vettel and still would be picking up 3 more points more than Vettel finishing second. Thus points today are Lewis at 306 vs 256 for Vettel and had Bottas been allowed to win Lewis would have 299 vs Vettel 256. It is my belief that Toto once securing that his team would get the maximum points (with a 1-2 finish) and realizing that Lewis would still end the day with a 43 point advantage should have let Bottas enjoy the victory as truth be told he rarely outpaces Lewis in qualifying and the race. I understand why they did it but don’t have to like it as a viewer or a fan.

Last point. You use the words and phrases vitriol, terrible, useless, take it up with your therapist. I did not personally attack you or your pal Debo. So do me a favor and don’t personally attack me. You have an opinion as do I.
Well said! These people are the same that complained when Ferrari ordered Barrechello aside and Massa for Alonso and belly ached about how bad Ferrari was and making a mockery of the sport... Now that Hamilton is the beneficiary, they’re willing to look the other way. Whatever, people are duplicitous.

I tuned in to see a race and saw a farce followed by the mood at a funeral. Luckily I got over it quickly when I saw the NASCAR boys try and race on a roval. Anyone watch that?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hat's off to MB for responding to Ferrari's development. From a technical perspective it's been an interesting year as it seems like the two teams have traded the title of fastest car at different points. Trouble is for me as a Ferrari supporter, Vettel simply hasn't performed as well as Hamilton this year and didn't take advantage of the red car's speed when he had it. As much grief as I give Lewis for being a primadonna he has certainly been excellent this year. There is no need to complain about these tactics as Ferrari and any other team would probably do the same.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Luckily I got over it quickly when I saw the NASCAR boys try and race on a roval. Anyone watch that?
LOL! Yes, I flipped over to that following F1. CRASHCAR at it's finest. I didn't watch long, but it was shaping up to be at least a couple of fist fights to tie it up in a nice bow.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

First off, apologies for the personal attack, there was no need for it. I could have responded to your post without going there.

Second, I understand your point however given that the driver’s championship isn’t mathematically locked up for Hamilton, MB rightfully feels obligated to secure the maximum available points for whichever of their drivers is in contention for the championship. Ferrari used to do it for Schumacher and countless teams have done the same in the past. This is F1. As a fan, I understood it then and I understand it now. Good and well executed strategy wins championships.

Further, for those who say the race was a snooze fest, I guess they missed part where Vettel came out ahead of Hamilton following his pit stop (with both on relatively fresh tires). What ensued was two 4-time world champions racing wheel-to-wheel for position while both are currently 1st & 2nd in the standings for the driver’s championship! If that isn’t top flight F1 racing then I give up. Hamilton’s pass on Vettel was simply brilliant, the way Hamilton drove those two corner combos was masterful in execution with Vettel trying to block! Hamilton came out on top but Vettel had more than a fighting chance. Further I guess these folks also missed Max’s incredible race and LeClerc’s solid drive. I guess for some, if Vettel doesn’t win then the entire race is a doozy.

Lastly, I don’t understand why people bring up a driver’s personality when discussing a race (especially when the driver in question didn’t exhibit any of the questionable personality traits, that he is accused of, on the day). Hamilton drove masterfully and was gracious to his teammate, who had to sacrifice a win. Why can’t it stop there? Both drivers were clearly bummed but both understand what’s at stake.

Last edited by Akunob; 10-01-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Russian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?