Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

U.S. Grand Prix - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Awesome win for Kimi. Awesome podium for Verstappen.

Hammy played it safe and Vettel screwed up.

Next race Hamilton will probably seal the deal.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:55 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah Kimi!!!!
Italy has the best anthem. Loved it. Awesome race. A real nail biter for a change.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:06 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 928 Posts

Great race. A little disappointed Kimi didn't have a victory Haiku ready for the interviews....
Old 10-21-2018, 11:27 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sun shines in Texas
Scarlett aims to vindicate
War marches Southward

D.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:14 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So happy for Kimi!
Old 10-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,981 Likes on 2,271 Posts

So what’s the deal with there not being a single American driver in F1 at the American F1 race? Do we really have no one in the whole country who can hang with these guys and get a spot?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
So what’s the deal with there not being a single American driver in F1 at the American F1 race? Do we really have no one in the whole country who can hang with these guys and get a spot?
There have been a few junior drivers kicking around but they all seem to wind up in Indy or NASCAR. Some punt themselves.

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/...in-one-weekend

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...ing-in-indycar

Talk about throwing it all away! But at least he is a Trump supporter.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Majority of races and teams are still European based and kids get funneled into F1 development programs at a very young age over there. Hamilton was signed to McLaren’s development program when he was 13; Vettel to Red Bull’s program when he was 11. Unlikely that EU teams will be running around the US scouting young talent when they’ve got a such rich talent pool on their own continent.

Then there’s the cultural hurdle for kids from the US, which is pretty daunting unless you’ve spent your youth living and racing in Europe. It’s not just about making it into F1, but also about making it into a competitive team. That’s why even the bulk of foreign drivers coming to the table with big financial backing rarely make it very far up the rankings.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,981 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

Majority of races are still in Europe and kids get funneled into F1 development programs at a very young age over there. Then there’s the cultural hurdle for kids from the US, which is pretty daunting unless you’ve spent your youth living and racing in Europe. It’s not just about making it into F1, but also about making it into a competitive team. That’s why even the bulk of foreign drivers coming to the table with big financial backing rarely make it very far up the rankings.
Understood, but IIRC, Stroll, Hartley, Ricciardo, and Perez aren't European? I don't expect to see numerous Americans in F1, but not even one?

Old 10-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Understood, but IIRC, Stroll, Hartley, Ricciardo, and Perez aren't European? I don't expect to see numerous Americans in F1, but not even one?
Perez and Ricciardo both got their foot in the door via BMW development programs. Hartley was picked up as a Porsche factory driver after acquiting himself in British F3. The common theme is that all three relocated to Europe at an early age. Stroll is a checkbook driver.

Of the three most successful American F1 drivers, Phil Hill is the only one to win an F1 title. He got his foot in the door after moving to England as a Jaguar trainee. Andretti was born and lived in Italy until he was 15. Likewise, Eddie Cheever grew up in Europe and came up through the European karting circuit.

Think about what it takes as a young American kid to go over there and sleep on floors with people that aren’t your family and race on tracks you don’t know in countries where they don’t speak your language,yadda, yadda, yadda. It’s tough emotionally, financially, and physically. Or you can hang with family and buddies, sleep at home a good portion of the year, and eat cheeseburgers and fries while chasing NASCAR or Indy Car glory.

Not saying it can’t be done, but the odds are tough.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Of the three most successful American F1 drivers, Phil Hill is the only one to win an F1 title. He got his foot in the door after moving to England as a Jaguar trainee. Andretti was born and lived in Italy until he was 15. Likewise, Eddie Cheever grew up in Europe and came up through the European karting circuit.
Andretti won the F1 title in 1978.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:37 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,012 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Perez and Ricciardo both got their foot in the door via BMW development programs. Hartley was picked up as a Porsche factory driver after acquiting himself in British F3. The common theme is that all three relocated to Europe at an early age. Stroll is a checkbook driver.

Think about what it takes as a young American kid to go over there and sleep on floors with people that aren’t your family and race on tracks you don’t know in countries where they don’t speak your language,yadda, yadda, yadda. It’s tough emotionally, financially, and physically. Or you can hang with family and buddies, sleep at home a good portion of the year, and eat cheeseburgers and fries while chasing NASCAR or Indy Car glory.

Not saying it can’t be done, but the odds are tough.
totally agree — it doesn’t matter where in the world you’re from, if you want to race at the highest levels, you have to go to Europe at some point and the younger the better.

Ferucci, who was cited in the article earlier, was a phenom in the karting world about 10 years ago in the US. He made it as far as F2 and “maybe” would have made it to F1 with the right financial backing, but he has a screw loose and threw it all away with his wreckless actions this year.

A driver my kid used to kart against years ago just won the F4 race at COTA this weekend. I don’t know what they were spending per year on karting but another dad who was at a similar level was spending about $250k per year on his 10 year olds karting budget (this was about 10 years ago). Another driver my kid used to kart with was a candidate with the junior Porsche program but ran out of cash.... unlike the stick and ball sports, it ain’t easy even if you have all the talent in the world and dedication to go to Europe and live like a gypsy
Old 10-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes Kimi! My vote finally counted! Lol! Great drive by Max and even Ham was magnanimous.As a Vet fan, sad to see how far he has fallen…
Old 10-22-2018, 02:34 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21

totally agree — it doesn’t matter where in the world you’re from, if you want to race at the highest levels, you have to go to Europe at some point and the younger the better.

Ferucci, who was cited in the article earlier, was a phenom in the karting world about 10 years ago in the US. He made it as far as F2 and “maybe” would have made it to F1 with the right financial backing, but he has a screw loose and threw it all away with his wreckless actions this year.

A driver my kid used to kart against years ago just won the F4 race at COTA this weekend. I don’t know what they were spending per year on karting but another dad who was at a similar level was spending about $250k per year on his 10 year olds karting budget (this was about 10 years ago). Another driver my kid used to kart with was a candidate with the junior Porsche program but ran out of cash.... unlike the stick and ball sports, it ain’t easy even if you have all the talent in the world and dedication to go to Europe and live like a gypsy
Hamilton did it the hard way, very limited funding - so you don't have to come from an affluent background to make it, obviously its a huge help but raw talent is sometimes enough
Old 10-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Child

Andretti won the F1 title in 1978.
Great driver but not born in the good old USoA. He did eventually obtain US citizenship. So what I should’ve clarified in my comment is that Hill is the only truly American driver to win an F1 title.

Quick Reply: U.S. Grand Prix - Who Will Win?