Sponsored by:

NBC to cover Rolex 24 like the Kentucky Derby

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:34 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default NBC to cover Rolex 24 like the Kentucky Derby

NBC to use NASCAR and IndyCar announcers to fill out 24-hour lineup. A.J. Allmendinger will debut as IMSA analyst. Allmendinger and IndyCar reporter Townsend Bell will also drive in the race. Leigh Diffey and Calvin Fish will anchor from the booth. NASCAR's lead announcer Rick Allen, and IndyCar's Paul Tracy and Brian Till will be featured throughout the weekend. NASCAR's Dale Earnhardt Jr., analyst Steve Letarte, and host Krista Voda will work from the “Peacock Pit Box,” a traditional pit box frame set along pit road. NASCAR reporters Marty Snider, Dave Burns, Kelli Stavast and Parker Kligerman will join IndyCar reporters Kevin Lee and Jon Beekhuis on pit road. It appears NBC is throwing everything at the broadcast in typical overwrought "Kentucky Derby" coverage mode. Don't be surprised if Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir show up to report on fashion and lifestyle, and Top Chef Tom Colicchio reports on infield grilling tips. Expect celebrity interviews galore.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/n...x-24-coverage/

Thursday, Jan 24
3-5 p.m. - Rolex 24 Qualifying - NBCSN

Friday, Jan. 25
12:05-4:15 p.m. - BMW Endurance Challenge At Daytona - IMSA.TV (streaming)
(Race will be broadcast on Tape Delay - Wed., Feb 6 - 1-3 p.m. on NBCSN)

Saturday, Jan 26
2-5 p.m. - Rolex 24 - NBCSN
5-9 p.m. - Rolex 24 - NBC Sports Live (streaming - must have cable provider)
9 p.m.-3 a.m. - Rolex 24 - NBCSN
Sunday, Jan 27
3-6 a.m. - Rolex 24 - NBC Sports Live (streaming - must have cable provider)
6 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Rolex 24 - NBCSN

Full race coverage will also be streamed live on IMSA.TV (In the past, this has been an unreliable feed)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,387 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Like they couldn't find qualified people? Bring back Dorsey Schrader for f*cks sake!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 772 Posts

Is Tara Lipinski even old enough to drive?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

Veloce- you set your self up for so many come backs but for the sake of the forum all I am going to say is she now 36
Old 01-18-2019, 11:41 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Sounds like a lotta yappin' but not much racin' to be seen

Gary
Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Who is Tara Lipinksi?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:21 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 290 Posts

Personally...I see this as good. Bring in anyone and everyone to get eyeballs watching, boost ratings, and convince NBC that IMSA is a GOOD thing to show. Like it or not guys, we, the avid fan, are a minority here in the US. We don't bring enough viewership to move the needle. Make it a spectacle...its the biggest race we have in the US and one of the 'big ones' worldwide. Get people watching, boost ratings, sponsors notice, more sponsors for teams, more manufactures want in, more teams, better racing...

We'll be watching from Pit Lane, infield grandstands, etc.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-18-2019, 12:32 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
Personally...I see this as good. Bring in anyone and everyone to get eyeballs watching, boost ratings, and convince NBC that IMSA is a GOOD thing to show. Like it or not guys, we, the avid fan, are a minority here in the US. We don't bring enough viewership to move the needle. Make it a spectacle...its the biggest race we have in the US and one of the 'big ones' worldwide. Get people watching, boost ratings, sponsors notice, more sponsors for teams, more manufactures want in, more teams, better racing...

Isn't the Indy 500 the biggest race in the U.S? Road Course wise, it's probably COTA F1, followed by 12hr of Sebring and then Daytona 24. No stats on the latter, just my perspective.

Opps, almost forgot about NASCAR at the Glen.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:37 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Isn't the Indy 500 the biggest race in the U.S? Road Course wise, it's probably COTA F1, followed by 12hr of Sebring and then Daytona 24. No stats on the latter, just my perspective.

Opps, all most forgot about NASCAR at the Glen.
Sorry...should have clarified. didn't mean attendance, more 'image' and specifically Sports Car racing...Certainly not attendance...heck any general Nascar or Indycar weekend beats D24 attendance..

Yes, overall Indy 500 is probably the biggest.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:58 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kudos to NBC!

Now I get to watch all the coverage instead of the "cliff note" version offered by Fox. Last year it was the first two hours on FS1 before switching to FS2 (which isn't available where I live), followed by the last two hours back on FS1.
Already have the whole race set up to record so I don't have to stay up all night to watch Fox go on my Ipad. I'm one fan that's happy IMSA switched networks. I just wish NBC had kept F1.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:39 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape

Last year I was there, Amazed me how commercial the infield became, you used to have no problem getting infield parking...At least the fans can still walk around the pits, and meet the drivers, see past champions (Met Derek Bell) Had a chat... Still that's the draw for me... I was going to go this year but opted to save the vacation time so I could drive at "Farther away" tracks this summer..
Old 01-18-2019, 01:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Veloce- you set your self up for so many come backs but for the sake of the forum all I am going to say is she now 36
lol touché
Old 01-18-2019, 01:45 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
NBC to use NASCAR and IndyCar announcers to fill out 24-hour lineup. A.J. Allmendinger will debut as IMSA analyst. Allmendinger and IndyCar reporter Townsend Bell will also drive in the race. Leigh Diffey and Calvin Fish will anchor from the booth. NASCAR's lead announcer Rick Allen, and IndyCar's Paul Tracy and Brian Till will be featured throughout the weekend. NASCAR's Dale Earnhardt Jr., analyst Steve Letarte, and host Krista Voda will work from the “Peacock Pit Box,” a traditional pit box frame set along pit road. NASCAR reporters Marty Snider, Dave Burns, Kelli Stavast and Parker Kligerman will join IndyCar reporters Kevin Lee and Jon Beekhuis on pit road. It appears NBC is throwing everything at the broadcast in typical overwrought "Kentucky Derby" coverage mode. Don't be surprised if Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir show up to report on fashion and lifestyle, and Top Chef Tom Colicchio reports on infield grilling tips. Expect celebrity interviews galore.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/n...x-24-coverage/

Thursday, Jan 24
3-5 p.m. - Rolex 24 Qualifying - NBCSN

Friday, Jan. 25
12:05-4:15 p.m. - BMW Endurance Challenge At Daytona - IMSA.TV (streaming)
(Race will be broadcast on Tape Delay - Wed., Feb 6 - 1-3 p.m. on NBCSN)

Saturday, Jan 26
2-5 p.m. - Rolex 24 - NBCSN
5-9 p.m. - Rolex 24 - NBC Sports Live (streaming - must have cable provider)
9 p.m.-3 a.m. - Rolex 24 - NBCSN
Sunday, Jan 27
3-6 a.m. - Rolex 24 - NBC Sports Live (streaming - must have cable provider)
6 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Rolex 24 - NBCSN

Full race coverage will also be streamed live on IMSA.TV (In the past, this has been an unreliable feed)
In the past they have blacked out the IMSA.TV coverage for the North American fans (with the exception of in car cameras). They're not doing that this year? The IMSA feed for the race is great (when it's working). No commercials and the IMSA Radio personalities calling the race.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

I wish they would work the RadioLeMans crew in there more. Much more.

I'm full of anxiety about the TV package this year. It's been bad for a long time. I truly hope NBC does it better.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Is Tara Lipinski even old enough to drive?
Yes, except in certain Middle Eastern countries where she'll never be old enough.

Quick Reply: NBC to cover Rolex 24 like the Kentucky Derby