Sponsored by:

Racing School Recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Roberto T
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Racing School Recomendation

I have a few weeks off this summer and I am hoping to enroll in a racing school. I am located up in Toronto Canada but it looks like the school at Mosport has closed and the rest run only in the spring. I dont have any immediate plans on racing but for some reason want to work towards getting a license. Mostly I just want to have fun and improve for the DE days.
Any updated recommendations?
I am considering Bertil Roos, Skip Barber, Allen Berg or Jim Russell.

Thanks!

Roberto
Old 06-19-2019, 05:38 PM
tlambie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Roberto,

It appears that the new Skip Barber School purchased the old Bridgestone Racing School at Mosport/CTMP. From what I can see they are still running the 3 day Open Wheel Race School on the Driver Development Track a few more times this summer, if you are interested and want to stay close to home. A good place to start. My suggestion is a get a good 3 Day behind you and then take the 1/2 day Advanced Schools at a couple of other tracks and/or schools to gain more experience in the car and learn from different coaches.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

You won't find a better racing school in your area than the Trillium BMW Club race school ... it's worth the wait !
That school is held early in the Spring at Mosport and i'm sure that anyone who has taken it will only have good words to say ...
The following users liked this post:
Paddy (12-10-2020)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:29 AM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple of considerations:
- Looks like you've highlighted the open wheel schools, which I'm a huge proponent of. Once you get in one, every sports car will feel like you're driving a bus. That being said, if you're more focused on sports car racing, there are multiple "tracks" you could take with Porsche, Mercedes, Skip Barber, or others to focus on that type of racing. For reference, here's a link to a review of the schools I've attended: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...s-vs-hpde.html
- If you are focused on open wheel, I'd think about the type of tyres you'll be on. I really like to train on street tires, as you have less traction, and are forced to slide more through corners. Not as fast, but helps develop car control. This would favor Roos, Skippy, and Lucas Oil over Russell and Berg
- You should think about the shifting mechanism for the car you're driving. Believe it or not, the H-pattern Roos cars require a lot more heel-toe technique than a sequential Roos or Russell car, and waaay more technique than a paddle shifter. Just a question if you want to work on this technique during the school or if you would prefer to focus on driving / racing.
- You should also think about data analysis. The Roos school uses absolutely no data, and the Porsche school has some, but is not a big focus. I'm a bit of a data junkie and use it heavily for self-coaching, so if I were to do it again, I would look at a school that has a large component of data review and coaching. I just think without looking at data you're kind of flying blind.

Regardless of where you go, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it. Look forward to hearing your final decision, and your feedback after!

In case you missed it, one school I would add in is Lucas Oil. Might be a good fit depending on what you're looking for.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

New Skip Barber School - New is old in that the great instructors of the past are back running the school (Terry,Bruce, RB + others)

Those guys taught me everything I know- Other route is private a coach and we have a couple here on our site (Rennlist) that are some of the best in the business
Old 06-20-2019, 06:56 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
New Skip Barber School - New is old in that the great instructors of the past are back running the school (Terry,Bruce, RB + others)

Those guys taught me everything I know- Other route is private a coach and we have a couple here on our site (Rennlist) that are some of the best in the business
+1000. 👍 to see the brain trust back
Old 06-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Roberto T
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to review everything written with available dates. Ill fill you all in once its all booked!

Thanks

Roberto
Old 06-23-2019, 02:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
+1000. 👍 to see the brain trust back
Anyone knows if they will be bringing their Racing Series back?
Old 02-20-2020, 09:42 PM
G12R
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the Fanatech CSL Elite and CS Inverted pedals. Fanatec has had some crazy Black Friday sales, and ended up making money when I sold both peripherals. Which I then gave away plus some moving to a DD2 and Heusinkveld Pro pedals. I wasn't prepared for how good the DD2 was compared to the CSL.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:28 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

If money is no object try the Porsche Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park. Take the Performance, Masters and Masters RS class and you will not be disappointed.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:50 AM
collision
AutoX

Old 12-03-2020, 02:49 PM
MoraMor
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a friend who coached riders long before the season. He said that they did cardio 3 times a week, running and / or cycled. We drank vitamins, Cardarine and monitored muscle mass. But it all depends on what reason you were training. For competition or just to keep fit for the season? There is a huge difference in training, but what they all have in common is their attention on core strengthening. The muscles of the arms and legs are very important, but the core is the main thing, because your main strength depends on it. There was also a fun practice on the board for the Batak reaction... I might have forgotten something, but this is what I remember.

Last edited by MoraMor; 12-21-2020 at 10:34 PM. Reason: want to add
Old 12-03-2020, 05:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by MoraMor
I had a friend who trained riders for a long time before the season. He said that they did cardio 3 times a week, running and/or cycled. They drank vitamins and sometimes supplements, but monitored a muscle mass. There was also a funny workout on the board for the reaction the batak... I could forget something, but this is what I remember.
I recommend drinking bourbon and rehydrating with beer. If you drink a margarita make sure to salt the rim of the glass as it helps your electrolytes. Swedish fish are also considered a glucose supplement. I closely monitor my muscle mass, or lack thereof, and buy carbon fiber body parts and other components to offset this weight.
The following 6 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
519Kris (05-01-2021), Billt134 (01-05-2021), BritinSF (12-20-2020), Chaos (05-08-2021), MoraMor (12-09-2020), TurboCup87 (12-03-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-2020, 07:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Swedish fish are also considered a glucose supplement. I closely monitor my muscle mass, or lack thereof, and buy carbon fiber body parts and other components to offset this weight.
You are not alone...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-03-2020, 07:52 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
.... Swedish fish are also considered a glucose supplement...
Performance tip:
While Swedish Fish are available in cardboard containers at many speed shops, the Porsche Design Studio offers a higher performance, professional grade Swedish Fish in a carbon fiber monocoque case, and they are running a Black Friday special for only $77.60 each, a real bargain for any driver that drives flat-out.

Quick Reply: Racing School Recomendation