Sponsored by:

Race Support ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:41 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Race Support ?

Just curious, what percent of racers use race shop for support vs going it alone?

I've been doing DE for going on 15 years now and figured a race would not be much different (IE:Needing support). But just to be safe I hired a friend (Cody @ https://www.blackforestracing.com/) to be there "just in case". I was surprised how much "could" be done, not just there to fix shi... stuff.... But all around moral support making sure the car was always in tip top shape, and coaching/encouraging/spotting on the radio.

Now I'm left with the dilemma.. Do I do this all the time or just on special occasions (this was my first race in 10 years, and the first race for this car)?.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,877 Likes on 1,688 Posts

You make a budget with and without. Call around to establish the expected price range. Interview the people who might be of interest to you. I've never heard of anyone who looked after themselves who, after they decided to use support, wanted to go back to going alone.

There are other intangibles, like enjoying the other competitors under the tent. That's how shops with a big presence get bigger. It's really nice, and a lot of fun.

But every scenario and personality is different. And the range in cost (and service, not always commensurate) is tremendous.

The cultures between shop "tents" can be VERY different, depending on the personalities and motivations of the shop owner/crew chief and the competitors. Find one that is compatible with you and your motivations.

When I had my historic racing prep shop, we would take four to ten cars a dozen times a year all over North America. A great benefit was the camaraderie "under the tent."

Perhaps that was the most important, at least for me. I had customers with me for more a decade and a half, before I sold out. We all looked out for each other. No drama, no thrashing, just good work and people going faster...

Now, I spend my time under the tents of a wide variety of shops and with a wide variety of people. Such an incredible range of talent and execution, not to mention costs.

I do like the shops with pro racing experience. It's more relaxed and they "get 'er done." The "never say die" mentality can save a weekend, which is precious if you don't (or can't) do many of them over the course of a year.

I do think more people are using track support than ever before. Time is the most precious commodity for most, and this is a great way to get more from less. That may be your most valuable yield from making this decision...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-26-2019, 09:03 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO, if budget allows, always have track support
Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

To rephrase my original post....

I feel like like I took my first hit of meth.... now, how do I get back off of this stuff.... :-)
The following users liked this post:
phefner (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,877 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
To rephrase my original post....

I feel like like I took my first hit of meth.... now, how do I get back off of this stuff.... :-)
Stick a fork in it. You're done...
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
jscott82 (06-26-2019), mglobe (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Peter nailed it, it's about the people. It truly makes a race weekend a totally different experience.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 769 Likes on 390 Posts

Just curious, what percent of racers use race shop for support vs going it alone?

I've been doing DE for going on 15 years now and figured a race would not be much different (IE:Needing support). But just to be safe I hired a friend (Cody @ https://www.blackforestracing.com/) to be there "just in case". I was surprised how much "could" be done, not just there to fix shi... stuff.... But all around moral support making sure the car was always in tip top shape, and coaching/encouraging/spotting on the radio.

Now I'm left with the dilemma.. Do I do this all the time or just on special occasions (this was my first race in 10 years, and the first race for this car)?.
There is no way I would spend the money shops charge for race support. I wouldn't be able to race if it were required as my budget is just not that big. I get great support at the track from my wife though. She handles the radio, keeps the car clean, makes sure that we get the tire pressures checked, fuel filled, Cool Shirt installed, etc. I wouldn't want to do it without her. If she did not come to the track, I would probably hire a friend to do the same things but I would not hire a shop. No way.

As far as camaraderie goes, I have big group of friends that I race with and I meet new people all the time. You don't need to be under some big tent to get that!
Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Time is the most precious commodity for most, and this is a great way to get more from less. That may be your most valuable yield from making this decision...

This. If you are doing it yourself, that's pretty much all you are doing even if everything goes well.

In answer to the question, from what I see, at least 60 - 75% are using some level of support but the numbers are skewed toward Cup cars.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:20 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

I can't even imagine being focused enough to race if I had to deal with the car. When I show up I want to win, and I cant win if I'm worn out from changing tires, checking over the car, etc. Do one less event a year and hire a crew if cost is an issue.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

It really depends what you want to get out of your race weekend and how you want to spend it. I see guys totally exhausted by the effort it sometimes takes to get the car going when things go wrong, the weather is challenging or when under pressure otherwise. From my experience, there are very few people that maintain their own car privately and consistently drive at the pointy end of the grid of a competitive class.

There is a massive difference between shops and you should carefully identify your needs. I work with shops that are into pro racing and treat Club Racing just like a pro event. Most pro shops will require for them to pre-tech your car at their shop so they don’t end up just doing overdue maintenance at the track. Some shops carry spares and others require you to bring your own.

Time is precious for all of us and I’d like to focus on driving the car, strategizing and running a race rather than wrenching and repairing. Shop support is like an insurance policy. It really pays off when things go wrong.
The following users liked this post:
jscott82 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

That last two years I fully supported myself. Open trailer, towing to the track, all work at the track, no radios. I had a blast, made some great friends (Thanks SP2 Guys), and we all helped each other. It can be done, but if you have issues you are scrambling. I also had zero comms while on the track. My results were average.

This year I have a crew. (New car, new class.) They take care of the car on race day. We all meet about once a week to work on the car. We have great radios and two guys that are talking to me while on the track. That was a real eye opener. My results this year are above expectations.

My 0.02$
Old 06-26-2019, 10:54 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I usually hire Evan Close for shoulder rubs. Sometimes I have to remind him that shoulders are above the waist Evan! But it's nice to have emotional support for the weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdistefa:
breljohn (06-27-2019), jscott82 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:55 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Oh, and Jeff - sent you a PM
Old 06-26-2019, 10:59 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 769 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
I can't even imagine being focused enough to race if I had to deal with the car. When I show up I want to win, and I cant win if I'm worn out from changing tires, checking over the car, etc. Do one less event a year and hire a crew if cost is an issue.
How much does your crew cost for a race weekend? What do you get with that payment?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:01 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

First Hoosiers now this.... At least SPC has a detox program for hoosiers now....

I really should take up a heroin habit, its much cheaper...
The following 3 users liked this post by jscott82:
NaroEscape (06-27-2019), PDL996 (06-27-2019), ProCoach (06-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Race Support ?