Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climbing the HPDE ladder to TT - PCA vs NASA vs BMWCCA

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NASA great group. Different for sure than PCA.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:11 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Find the one that actually teaches racecraft. TTs are also excellent to learn how to qualify fast. PCA stopped those, at least on the east coast, as far as I know.

Not sure PCA teaches racecraft, because they use HPDE or DE as the requirement, which the last time I attended, DE is really separate from racing. (In the past, the higher run groups and the Instructor school were used to practice race transition drills at various times in the year.)

Having been to NASA, PCA, BMW, and track-based days, PCA just feels more tense, and I think having a comfortable environment is better for learning and advancing. NASA had a variety of cars and it seemed a bit like the wild wild west. Two cars were hit in the paddock by other drivers at a combined race/HPDE. The BMW club up and down the east coast has been great.

Just my own experience.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:53 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the responses! I'm trying to sort out where I fit in. Switched to tracking a BMW from a Porsche and also installed data this year. Emphasis is upon getting good people to give me some advice. Had a terrific time with Zone 1 at the Glen with a few instructors willing to coach me. That, and data helped. I want to get racing, so it's either BMW or NASA it seems for me right now. I have a 7 year old, a newish job with little time off, and a wife that works weekdays, so this year has been incredibly hard to get to the track at all. I need to maximize my time and have been targeting events with advanced only or limited number of run groups. Of course now that summer is here, my engine's head gasket went... LOL.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

What about Spec E46 if your end goal is W2W racing? Also a spec series, so it's not an arms race. Plus, we have large fields all over the country, fun to drive, applicable in NASA, SCCA, and BMWCCA.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:02 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
What about Spec E46 if your end goal is W2W racing? Also a spec series, so it's not an arms race. Plus, we have large fields all over the country, fun to drive, applicable in NASA, SCCA, and BMWCCA.
Already have a ready to go E36 that now needs an engine rebuild... . Cage + everything was not cheap at all sadly.

My next/second race car may be a Miata. LOL.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:04 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
In my region (NY metro), I just cannot get over the "bad value" that NASA seems compared to other clubs like PCA. Events are 2-3x the cost of a PCA event for a DE with less driving. Is it that much better that it warrants it? I recognize that the NASA program is a feeder to racing and from what I have observed, I believe the level of driving is WAY higher than in your typical PCA DE.
With Great Lakes Region the Fridays of their three-day events are considered t-n-t days where HPDE3, 4 and TT cars run together with no official timing, but you get a ton of track time on the day.......Sat and Sun, not so much.

So for someone like me (in HPDE4) who's simply looking for a lapping day v-a-v TT or w2w racing, the Fridays fill the bill nicely and for not a lot of $$$.

Plus, it's pretty cool being out there in my Mini with some of these ridiculously-fast prepared rocketships

Gary
Old 07-01-2019, 04:23 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

if NASA,
bookmark this page, go through the classes, paperwork and car mods.
https://airtable.com/shrtuIZcugofvmC...I0?blocks=hide

check the your region's website for results, make decisions about slicks or dot, type of car and so on.
TT3 and ST3 are generally very competitive.
but 12:1 and 14:1 are now the big classes.
only dot tires and aero is limited, can be run with small budget.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:46 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have raced/instructed with both PCA and NASA. TT is a good interim goal and the race school with NASA has more exercises that practice W2W situations prior to jumping off the cliff. As far inexpensive E46 M3. Not sure of your idea of cheap. You may want to check with guys like Eric Wong on running cost for an E46 M3 . We currently run (3) E36 M3's (2 with S54s, and one with an S52) in the AER endurance series and costs can still add up. At least in a 9 hour you can split the costs amongst 4 to 5 drivers, but overall build and maintenance are similar to sprint racing. The different Marks in NASA makes it interesting, especially on a wet track.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome guys, glad to see others have validated the cost difference between NASA and other clubs. Good dialogue on the value side. I do
Iike the diversity of cars.

As as far as cheap E46M3, yes I know it’s not cheap compared to a Miata but cheap compared to my current 991. No track insurance needed, cheap-ish brakes, ability to run in different TT classes. Plus I have to like the car as I will only be able to track it 3-4 times a year with my current lifestyle (will drive on the street much more). I’ve also considered E36s. Spec E46 would be good if dedicated track car (W2W).

Quick Reply: Climbing the HPDE ladder to TT - PCA vs NASA vs BMWCCA