Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Thanks Matt. Yes, lots of fun. Plus, Wyatt Gilbert from MCS was there all weekend and we spent a lot of time working on getting my triple adjustable MCS shocks setup properly. We knocked 1.3 seconds off my times
That's pretty awesome.1.3 seconds is a ton from shock settings. That had to make it all the better!
Old 07-24-2019, 02:50 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 777 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
That's pretty awesome.1.3 seconds is a ton from shock settings. That had to make it all the better!
We did make a front roll bar change too....so it wasn't all shocks. I had push on turn in and in mid corner. I still have the mid corner push in the high speed stuff but otherwise the car feels great. So I need to work on the front aero a bit to balance it out with the rear.

Yes, part of the reason the weekend was so fun was the progress on getting the car handling better.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:49 PM
inter911
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Scott, nice driving this weekend and ya that spin at the start was strange, I came out of the brake in the middle of the turn and waited as the car was rotating, hadnt got to the gas at all and then I go uh oh as it didnt stop rotating and the speed felt right, only thing I can think of is I went way left into the marbles blocking that turbo wanting to come up the inside and the pick up on cold tires turned it into ice?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:17 PM
winders
Race Car

Thanks, Bob!

I hate it when stuff like that happens. Cold tires and a bit offline into marbles is never fun. At least no one hit you as we went through the turn!

What happened in the Enduro?
Old 07-25-2019, 01:35 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Here is a link to some photos from the race: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFsHNKA
The following users liked this post:
laranja (07-26-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 02:02 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Here is a link to some photos from the race: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFsHNKA
Great photos!!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:02 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

The green car is the Gas Motorsport car driven by Kevin Rauch; P.O.C. GT3 class
One of the best prepared air cooled race cars around.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:14 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Most of those cars are from the GT classes in the Porsche Owners Club which is very similar to P.C.A.
Now you see what us GT3 air cooled guys in SoCal are up against, the PDK cars are just another level.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:24 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by 911ted
The green car is the Gas Motorsport car driven by Kevin Rauch; P.O.C. GT3 class
One of the best prepared air cooled race cars around.
Yep! It's a 993 with a 4.0L hot rod motor. Since Kevin built it, I bet it has north of 400 HP. I should have my 3.6L hot rod motor in the car for the first race of 2020 and I hope to be more of a problem for him in the GT3 class if he races with PCA next year.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:57 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

will be great to see you at pca races scott..
Old 07-27-2019, 12:01 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep! It's a 993 with a 4.0L hot rod motor. Since Kevin built it, I bet it has north of 400 HP. I should have my 3.6L hot rod motor in the car for the first race of 2020 and I hope to be more of a problem for him in the GT3 class if he races with PCA next year.
Kevin Roush runs the 993 RSR at about 325 RWHP with the POC to meet GT3 class weight/RWHP rules. I don't how it was tuned (and ballasted) for the Laguna PCA event where actual HP doesn't matter, only displacement and engine type (multiplier favors the air cooled cars). Additionally, the car is geared perfectly. More importantly, Kevin is an outstanding driver, tester, and has the ability and takes the time to properly set up the car for each event.

People in the POC are often intimating that Kevin is somehow not legal (not in the this thread, just in general). This is BS and an insult to Kevin, his ability, and integrity. I am one of his closest competitors in POC (Bob Mueller is consistently the other) and I just don't have anything for him most days. We often qualify withing a tenth or two, but he is just so much more consistent during the race. When the cars are on plane he does not pull me on the straights, if anything I have a little bit on him as the car may a bit more slippery.

Scott, come run with the POC at LS in August. We should have a good GT3 field.

Cheers,
Old 07-28-2019, 01:39 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Here are few more photos from Sunday morning

PCA Laguna 7/21/19 Orange Race #2 https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFybfSo

DEs https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFybpGn

Green Race #3 https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFy6CXp
Old 07-28-2019, 01:59 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Kevin Roush runs the 993 RSR at about 325 RWHP with the POC to meet GT3 class weight/RWHP rules. I don't how it was tuned (and ballasted) for the Laguna PCA event where actual HP doesn't matter, only displacement and engine type (multiplier favors the air cooled cars). Additionally, the car is geared perfectly. More importantly, Kevin is an outstanding driver, tester, and has the ability and takes the time to properly set up the car for each event.

People in the POC are often intimating that Kevin is somehow not legal (not in the this thread, just in general). This is BS and an insult to Kevin, his ability, and integrity. I am one of his closest competitors in POC (Bob Mueller is consistently the other) and I just don't have anything for him most days. We often qualify withing a tenth or two, but he is just so much more consistent during the race. When the cars are on plane he does not pull me on the straights, if anything I have a little bit on him as the car may a bit more slippery.

Scott, come run with the POC at LS in August. We should have a good GT3 field.

Cheers,
I am not sure why you needed to dredge up what some POC racers think in this thread or had to go on and on about how great Kevin is. No one said anything negative about Kevin or his car. I certainly didn’t. I complimented his engine building abilities and hoped that with my new engine build I could be more competitive with him. Informing us that some people in the POC think Kevin cheats probably doesn’t have the effect you intended.

I don’t know how his car was tuned for the event, but I know it has gobs more power than my car does based on how much he gapped me on the front straight. I am looking forward to next year’s event to see if I can race with him instead of watching him drive away.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don’t know how his car was tuned for the event, but I know it has gobs more power than my car does based on how much he gapped me on the front straight. I am looking forward to next year’s event to see if I can race with him instead of watching him drive away.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was putting out 400 at the crank in full race mode at probably about the same weight as you. It's a tough combination to beat in PCA's GT3. I remember Jeff Gamroth and Mark Whyman both turned low31's back in 2015 in air cooled cars. I have no doubt you'll be just as quick with the 3.6 you mentioned....

Curious, what tires did you run?....
Old 08-03-2019, 08:47 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I wouldn't be surprised if he was putting out 400 at the crank in full race mode at probably about the same weight as you. It's a tough combination to beat in PCA's GT3. I remember Jeff Gamroth and Mark Whyman both turned low31's back in 2015 in air cooled cars. I have no doubt you'll be just as quick with the 3.6 you mentioned....

Curious, what tires did you run?....
Since Kevin's car is a 993, I suspect he was not running at 2280 pounds with driver like I was. It's hard to get a 993 that light! Plus, with a 4.0L engine and slicks, the PCA GT3 minimum weight is 2474 lbs.

The PCA GT3 minimum weight for a car with slicks and 3.6L engine is 2232 lbs. I can get there no problem. I am running 16" diameter wheels with 12" (305mm) and 14" (345mm) wide Hoosier slicks, front and rear respectively. The car is over-tired to be sure. But these tires last 2 full race weekends and actually work really well for three race weekends.

I can certainly look at changing wheels and tires. What slicks are the hot ticket these days for GT cars? What's is the most used diameter? 17"? 18"? What brand? What compounds? How long do they last? Even if I don't change wheels, I plan on switching to 11" (270mm) and 12.5" (315mm) wide Hoosier slicks as the car is faster and feels better with these narrower tires.

Last edited by winders; 08-04-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: PCA Laguna: White Race Group Sunday Race