Sponsored by:

Sim Racers, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 11:45 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
That's mine, it's multi-purpose. I slide a chair in on the left for my throttle when running a flight sim.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Best available combination now: Simucube2 Ultimate wheel, HE Ultimate pedals or ProSims, a proper seat, triple screens running 144HZ, high end gaming computer and a good steering wheel.
That's my rig! But, I use a Fanatec Rennsport Cockpit and a VisionRacer VR3, don't care much for the 80/20 "erector set" look.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-27-2019, 06:47 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So here is where I’m currently landing on:
p1x base
simucube2 wheel (with the same mono steering wheel I use in my race car)
Pro sim h pattern shifter
fanatec inverted v3 pedals (cannot find high end inverted pedals)
ill mount the same sparco evo seat I use in my car
triple lg 144hz 1080p 27” monitors

just bought the pc. I7 32g ram, rtx2080ti card

first gaming machine for me in almost 20 years

still looking into pedals but that h shifter seems awesome
Old 10-27-2019, 07:01 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

You can run 3 2k panels with the 2080ti. I have the dell ones that are popular. You could easy figure a way to invert the HEs if you wanted.

good rig list for sure. The P1x will take some time to arrive from YERP.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:02 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Do order some of the trinket stuff from sim lab. Stuff like button box holder, mouse etc... might also consider a tablet or fourth monitor for telemetry.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:15 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
You can run 3 2k panels with the 2080ti. I have the dell ones that are popular. You could easy figure a way to invert the HEs if you wanted.

good rig list for sure. The P1x will take some time to arrive from YERP.
You mean a 1440 monitor? I thought even a 2080 would struggle running 3. Hence I went with the 1080p. Will have 4 monitors since this computer will also run a desk monitor /keyboard mouse for non racing gameing

was going to ask if you could invert stand alone pedals, or would the geometry be wrong. Given a 20/80 rig I could fav something
alao figure I’ll put the seat on sliders so my wife can easily be in a good seething position
Old 10-27-2019, 07:17 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Do order some of the trinket stuff from sim lab. Stuff like button box holder, mouse etc... might also consider a tablet or fourth monitor for telemetry.
Have an email out to them. Knowing exactly what to order from their site is not the clearest thing
Old 10-27-2019, 07:33 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dizzyj
You mean a 1440 monitor? I thought even a 2080 would struggle running 3. Hence I went with the 1080p. Will have 4 monitors since this computer will also run a desk monitor /keyboard mouse for non racing gameing

was going to ask if you could invert stand alone pedals, or would the geometry be wrong. Given a 20/80 rig I could fav something
alao figure I’ll put the seat on sliders so my wife can easily be in a good seething position
2080ti runs my 1440 monitors just fine. Make sure you get gsync and use display port cords. I will run the fourth using the onboard GPU.

I don’t see why you couldn't invert the HEs. They are infinitely adjustable.

sim lab is great. Darko will get back to you in a few days. And, eventually you will get this on your porch from YERP.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:04 PM
boxboxbox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the guys that run DD wheels. how big of a difference is it to a belt drive? have a cswv2, looking to revamp the rig, and the wheel will be a significant expense. just making sure it's not a "marginal" upgrade.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:47 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I've found that DD wheels allow you to run whatever rim you want.
The issue with belt is the heavier wheels (Fanatec GT/918/BMW) dampen out an incredible amount of the minute ffb changes, and causes a slower and less precise reaction to the driver.
I'm noticeably more consistent and faster when running with the lighter Fanatec formula wheel, no matter how much more force I ask out of the wheel with the heavier rims on.
That's a non issue with DD.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:55 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Yeah. I have heard mostly that the DD wheel helps with consistency. I personally want to get better with my current setup before I go and spend the $$ on the DD wheel
Old 10-28-2019, 04:59 PM
boxboxbox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SkeerRacing
I've found that DD wheels allow you to run whatever rim you want.
The issue with belt is the heavier wheels (Fanatec GT/918/BMW) dampen out an incredible amount of the minute ffb changes, and causes a slower and less precise reaction to the driver.
I'm noticeably more consistent and faster when running with the lighter Fanatec formula wheel, no matter how much more force I ask out of the wheel with the heavier rims on.
That's a non issue with DD.
didn't realize there's a difference in performance pending the wheel mounted, and certainly didn't know the 918 is on the heavier side of things. Interesting, and thanks for the insight.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:09 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really need to try a VR setup before making a decision on screen(s) vs VR. The VR is that good and is truly immersive. It can't be described adequately - you just have to try it. And if you do, try it for at least 15 minutes to make sure you aren't too susceptible to motion sickness.

On the hardware side of things, Fanatec has a good lineup of quality steering wheels & pedals without being over the top expensive.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:58 PM
boxboxbox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Drew_K
You really need to try a VR setup before making a decision on screen(s) vs VR. The VR is that good and is truly immersive. It can't be described adequately - you just have to try it. And if you do, try it for at least 15 minutes to make sure you aren't too susceptible to motion sickness.

On the hardware side of things, Fanatec has a good lineup of quality steering wheels & pedals without being over the top expensive.
agree on the VR. i'd gladly trade the inferior pic quality for the depth perception. tried a setup with triples last week and it took a while to adjust back to 2D
Old 10-28-2019, 06:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew_K

Totally agree on the VR side of it.

Quick Reply: Sim Racers, got some questions