Sponsored by:

Trailer Hitches & Security

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:26 PM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Hitches & Security

Ok since you guys gave me such great feedback regarding trailers I'm going to test you again:

1. I'm concerned about the security of the trailer. What types of locks are good to secure it to the tow vehicle? Also what are some good ways to lock the trailer to something when it's parked alone?

2. What kind of hitche do you recommend? Weight distributing and sway control seems mandatory on a 24' trailer? Brands and places to buy would be appreciated.

TIA
Old 02-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had a problem, but just a small padlock on the hitch itself, will keep honest people honest, and you ain't going to stop a pro if he wants it.

About the hitch. A Class III receiver on the truck, with a load leveling hitch, with the anit-sway bars is manditory, unless you like doing tank slappers after a semi passes you. They cost in the $300 range. Keep the hitch locked in the trailer when you aren't using it, like if you go to a motel. It comes off with just a pin. I had a friend get one stolen at a motel, and it's hard finding one on Sunday aft, when you are ready to go home.

I now use a Surburban now, and I have to tighten the anti-sway bars like a banjo string, or the 22' Pace pushes me all over the road. I am currently dickering for a 2001 Chev dually. I had a 89 Dodge dually before the Surburban, and it towed great, even though it was a piece of crap, except for the Cummins engine. The new Dodges are worlds better. A really good 3/4 ton is almost as good, but the dually is really stable.

Bill Seifert
Old 02-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

I went with the Reese trunion bar setup (8000/800). I have the Fulton coupler lock (hoop and ball insert http://imagescommerce.bcentral.com/m.../universal.jpg not the slip on condom type http://www.psndealer.com/powersports...86/15-5861.jpg). I looked at the Master Lock coupler lock http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../178543_lg.jpg but was told they are not good (break). I will probably purchase a Trailer Keeper (trailerlock.com) down the road but for now, coupler lock + gated storage will hopefully suffice. I do suggest that if you get a W.D. hitch, get a hitch coupler lock so no one runs off w/ 300 bucks worth of hitch.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a trailer with an Equalizer weight distributing hitch. It's very nicely built and the PO swears by it. Here's the website: http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

As for locking the trailer when it's alone, I'm looking to buy some chain to run through the tires on either side that are padlocked together. That way it's impossible to roll the trailer anywhere.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

My theory, although I did not follow it, is to leave the trailer itself blank of racing/Porsche decals and stickers. A opportunity to steal a trailer containing a race car, means tools, wheels, beer.... But if the trailer is "blank" there will be less enthusiasm for the ultimate risk of theft (maybe).
Old 02-28-2004, 06:25 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen one racer with "AIDS TESTING CENTER" on the side of his trailer... takes Bill's idea to a whole new extreme...
Old 02-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Ironically, I wouldn't take that to too much of an extreme. From what I was told when researching this was that racecars are not what they want to open the doors to find. Lawn (mowers/trimmers/etc) equipment, tools and other items that can be sold easily and raise fewer questions are more desirable. So, I wouldn't paint "Bill's Lawn Service" on the side as it might be more attractive to the bad guys than a Porsche emblem.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitches & Security