Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Sebring PCA 48 Hour PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 10:56 AM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I sent the driver of #14 a note on Messenger. He hasn't opened it yet so no response.

I spoke to a bunch of guys who know him from IMSA Yoko Challenge. Pretty much all had similar unfavorable comments.

On to better things! Clarke stayed at my place last night so I got my own personal Clarke show.

Stu
Old 02-03-2020, 10:58 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by smf32s
I got swept up at the end of the 7 Cup car debacle. For the whole weekend, all I have to show is less than half a lap of competition. And I got the least damage of all the cars I think. Sucks to have that crap happen. My whole year ruined again. I keep thinking it can't happen again. The definition of stupidity. Never changes.

And the IMSA hero runs from the track and hides his video. Real class act. Never said a word. Hope he gets thrown out for good. Good Riddance. Trying to pass on wet grass.

I'll see how my year goes now. Not sure I want to race anymore. I love Sebring. Just not with the PCA.

I can't win!

Stu
I have kept out of RList and came back to read how Sebring had gone this year. I was hoping to read something different than what we all have read about year after year.

Stu, buddy, I can't say I'm as sorry to read about this than how pissed off I am for you and for all other drivers out there.

I have paid, being there and decided to sit races out with PCA because of this shyte. Come on guys, this is not bumper cars. What the hell was that a "hail Mary" pass or did he have a swarm of bees fly into his cockpit.
Why can't some drivers remember the first rule of winning? "To finish first you first have to finish".
I like to think of the other drivers as my friends or acquaintances that share a passion for racing. I enjoying getting together, talking cars, keeping that camaraderie. This ain't conducive to any of that.
I have sat through my fair share of diver's meetings with different sanctioning bodies and those for PCA (especially for the Cup group) are usually filled with the toughest commentary. I never liked that but,after racing with the group a couple of times, I understand the tone. We are treated like spoiled brats, well if the shoe fits.

This group is making IMSA's sillyness look like child's play. To afford one of those cars you must be successful on your job (or born to $).

What is it? are talent, values, courtesy, consideration, respect and skills hung out when the helmet comes on?
The following 5 users liked this post by Juan Lopez:
Chris P Lewis (02-04-2020), Clem (02-03-2020), Fumes (02-03-2020), LuigiVampa (02-03-2020), ProCoach (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:11 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
I don't know, IMSA GT3 Challenge has a lot of action also...
That would be the current #2 place to get taken out, and probably less driver vetting than PCA.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I have kept out of RList and came back to read how Sebring had gone this year. I was hoping to read something different than what we all have read about year after year.

Stu, buddy, I can't say I'm as sorry to read about this than how pissed off I am for you and for all other drivers out there.

I have paid, being there and decided to sit races out with PCA because of this shyte. Come on guys, this is not bumper cars. What the hell was that a "hail Mary" pass or did he have a swarm of bees fly into his cockpit.
Why can't some drivers remember the first rule of winning? "To finish first you first have to finish".
I like to think of the other drivers as my friends or acquaintances that share a passion for racing. I enjoying getting together, talking cars, keeping that camaraderie. This ain't conducive to any of that.
I have sat through my fair share of diver's meetings with different sanctioning bodies and those for PCA (especially for the Cup group) are usually filled with the toughest commentary. I never liked that but,after racing with the group a couple of times, I understand the tone. We are treated like spoiled brats, well if the shoe fits.

This group is making IMSA's sillyness look like child's play. To afford one of those cars you must be successful on your job (or born to $).

What is it? are talent, values, courtesy, consideration, respect and skills hung out when the helmet comes on?
The message that is most important, NO CAR DAMAGE and especially, NO DECISION THAT WOULD IMPERIL OTHERS, is somehow is not getting through. For years...

So disappointing. The trend line is not improving.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 4 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Chris P Lewis (02-04-2020), FLA997 (02-03-2020), Fumes (02-03-2020), Juan Lopez (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The message that is most important, NO CAR DAMAGE and especially, NO DECISION THAT WOULD IMPERIL OTHERS, is somehow is not getting through. For years... So disappointing. The trend line is not improving.
I am putting together a short, sweet, respectful open letter to send to PCA national gang, I'll circulate it here when it's ready. This is not to roast stewards or organizers, and definitely not to call out drivers, but to effect some change from national.

The more coaches, shop owners, and most importantly - PCA racers - we get to co-sign that letter, the better our chances of them doing something real to fix this recurring problem. There will be times, especially at the smaller races, where it's not going to be possible, but for the good of the series, and everyone's safety, something has got to change here.

Two requests though...

1) VIDEO - I don't want to embarrass drivers who made mistakes or used poor judgement (I spent a season w a 13 sanction myself, it happens we all make mistakes) so I won't post anything publicly - but anyone with video clips of the kind of behavior we saw at Sebring (black flags in the WARM UP?!?) incidents, lap 1 incidents, chops, dive-bombs, etc.. please PM me. The more we can use data and video evidence to back up our case, the stronger it will be. Anything from the last few years should work.

2) PM me with any suggestions for the letter. we're not going to draft this by committee, but suggestions are more than welcome. Clarke's note of a Cup-only group makes a ton of sense at big races (Sebring, Road America, Glen, VIR, etc) makes a lot of sense as a suggestion. We're not asking for a rules change here (though it could come to that), we're asking for them to come up with their own solution to make races safer and more fun.

-JD
gtb1p #42/4
The following 2 users liked this post by Fumes:
Chris P Lewis (02-04-2020), LuigiVampa (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:50 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
CUP cars should be sequestered. Because they are special. Make them feel special. Give them the best paddock parking. Have a special cup car driver meeting at their whim, on their schedule. Or not. Whatever they want. Have a special pca national liaison available for whatever they need. They are rich, dammit.
I say these rich deserving cup car drivers should even have their own run group! No matter where they go! They earned it or inherited or won lottery, they deserve it!
Only cup cars, cup cars only, only rich dudes.
You've passed your DE solo at your local track, so you sir are deservedly ready to race a cup car in pca!

First of all its not all the cup cars.....we had a rainrace under tough conditions without real issues. There are plenty of cup cars drivers who can drive and are respectful on the track... but there are some clearly not in this category

what is most frustrating is that guys whos sat out the rain race because they dont have the skills to race in the rain (budget for rain tires is not the excuse in this group) try to make it up 20 spots on cold tires in the first half lap of a dry race.
a GTA3 car can motor by me in my 996 cup on any straight however short it is, no reason to out brake me on the wet grass into T7

The following 3 users liked this post by MarcD147:
FFaust (02-03-2020), PopsRacer (02-04-2020), ProCoach (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 12:01 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,384 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez

Well said.

There is also a big difference between a mistake, which can happen to any of us, and going full send it mode like the guy did in T7.

This is my sixth season of racing and I had my first contact ever this weekend. Low speed at T5 when someone closed the door on me and I probably should have been smart enough to back out. It was ruled a racing incident.

Originally Posted by Fumes
I am putting together a short, sweet, respectful open letter to send to PCA national gang, I'll circulate it here when it's ready. This is not to roast stewards or organizers, and definitely not to call out drivers, but to effect some change from national.

The more coaches, shop owners, and most importantly - PCA racers - we get to co-sign that letter, the better our chances of them doing something real to fix this recurring problem. There will be times, especially at the smaller races, where it's not going to be possible, but for the good of the series, and everyone's safety, something has got to change here.

Two requests though...

1) VIDEO - I don't want to embarrass drivers who made mistakes or used poor judgement (I spent a season w a 13 sanction myself, it happens we all make mistakes) so I won't post anything publicly - but anyone with video clips of the kind of behavior we saw at Sebring (black flags in the WARM UP?!?) incidents, lap 1 incidents, chops, dive-bombs, etc.. please PM me. The more we can use data and video evidence to back up our case, the stronger it will be. Anything from the last few years should work.

2) PM me with any suggestions for the letter. we're not going to draft this by committee, but suggestions are more than welcome. Clarke's note of a Cup-only group makes a ton of sense at big races (Sebring, Road America, Glen, VIR, etc) makes a lot of sense as a suggestion. We're not asking for a rules change here (though it could come to that), we're asking for them to come up with their own solution to make races safer and more fun.

-JD
gtb1p #42/4
I don't need a poll to know that NO ONE told PCA they wanted a much bigger field that included the Cups! Totally understand the PCA's staff's desire to get home and save money but please not at the expense of safety.

Lastly, I find ironic, as Juan Lopez pointed out, that the front running Cup cars are usually not the problem. It is the mid-pack guys who appear to be the problem. I paddock with a few cup car drivers and they are not all the problem. That being said, a bunch (not just a few) bad apples are ruining the class.

Funny that we are talking about it and not more Cup drivers worried about it.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Clarke makes a valid point as do many others in this thread. What makes what happened even more disappointing is that we all are paying to race with PCA. We all hang out together, drink beers and go to dinner together in the evenings of a race weekend, etc. Fumes had an excellent point when we were talking at the track. Would this stuff happen less if we all spent more time talking and getting to know each other? I have made a lot of friends in PCA Racing over the years both in my work travels, and on the occasions I get to race, I race hard, but with respect for the other racers around me.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 12:13 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

I was having a great weekend up to that accident. I was very impressed with how controlled everyone was being and the racing space being allowed by everyone. Even when we went out for qualifying even though it was green immediately, which I thinks a mistake, we all went slow and spent the first lap getting everything warmed up. Very level headed racing.

I skipped the rain because I am cheap and don't have wet tires and have seen some crazy stuff in the rain. I have to say the cup drivers in the wet were beyond fantastic. Very well done.

That's what made that bone headed move in the 2nd race so disappointing. I can't fathom what went through that drivers head to go on wet grass for a pass. WET GRASS!!

I was the lucky one in the incident. I got the least damage. My heart goes out to the rest of the guys wrapped up in it. I rode back in the ambulance with two other drivers and Marc was on fire! I'm glad we are all ok and can have another race day if we choose to. We are all lucky to get to use such awesome cars and live the dream. Just a few fewer nightmares some times. ;-)

Stu
Old 02-03-2020, 12:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

I like Fumes plan. I believe the Club Racing leadership wants the best possible, safest outcomes. In every group. But something needs to change.

I agree with Marc that it’s not “all Cups,” but it’s common knowledge among professional coaches that there are a fair number of Cup drivers whose reach does not equal their grasp. This has been true for a decade, or so.

Things happen fast in fast cars. It’s clear that in many multi-car incidents (T1, L1 at The Glen Club races, for example), one driver is not thinking far enough ahead, or thinking at all, and mayhem ensues.

I do think there is not the constant thought of accountability in the minds of people who make these errors in judgment or execution. Only the thought of entitlement. Something has got to change... Fumes letter is a good start.
MarcD147 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 12:22 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 417 Posts

Stu

Damn that sucks.

Peter

Old 02-03-2020, 12:23 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Part of the problem is that the 13 rule is not applicable to idiotic driving over the course of a race weekend... PCA needs to be stricter about pulling people off track pro-actively... It happened to me at NJMP when a driver in a car that should have been running 22's was running 52's, I came up behind him in turn two and he parked it then went ballistic wondering why I didn't stop... When I went to see the Stewards they noted he had been an issue all weekend yet they never pulled him off track. Why wait for the contact to take action?

There are a lot of ego's at these events, some of them need to be reminded they have to follow the same rules as everyone else which may not be akin to how they view themselves off track.
MarcD147 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 12:24 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Stu

Damn that sucks.

Peter
Thanks Peter. Hope all is well with you.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:05 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Still think a cup car clinic, and license upgrade or certification would be good...goes against the money train that's pulling the beast however...
GT3DE (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 PM
97C2s911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Turn 7

I ended up starting next to that car and one of the other drivers in my group came over before the start and told me who he was and to be careful . He had already hit me 2 years ago in a start and denied it . As we were warming up our tires he was being really aggressive at taking up space . He passed me after 6 and I had to watch one of the most foolish and dangerous driving stupidity yet . I feel really bad to see what 1 arrogant person can do to others .

Quick Reply: 2020 Sebring PCA 48 Hour PCA Club Race