Sponsored by:

Koolbox Chill vs Coolshirt

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 05:22 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Koolbox Chill vs Coolshirt

I am thinking of installing this in my new to me Clubsport instead of a coolshirt. Has anyone used the Chill for head cooling? Wondering if it will be enough vs a coolshirt. They make bigger units, but I’m specifically interested in feedback on the Chill system.

http://www.koolboxproducts.com/versions/chill.html
Old 12-22-2019, 09:25 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

these work great.

No cool suit, no ice, less weight

Just need a good helmet to circulate the air
Old 12-23-2019, 06:09 PM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Works great, but I still need to run a cool shirt. And even then, I sweat like crazy.

Just make sure you have enough headroom for the helmet attachment

Just have to get used to the fan noise. It may be quieter now as I have an older system.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:54 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed a Chillout (https://www.chilloutsystems.com) system in my Clubsport and used it for the first time two weeks ago while at Daytona. I am very impressed! It's very simple to use and it did a great job of keeping me cool. The product and shirts, etc. are very well engineered. Note that the temps were in the low 70's so it wasn't super hot or humid but the system worked flawlessly. Also, I should note that the service and customer support I received from Charles Kline, the owner of Chillout, was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and responsive to all of my inquires.

BTW, my only other comparison is a Cool Shirt which I used for many years. Candidly, they are not in the same league. Granted the Chillout costs a lot more but the performance is markedly better and better designed.

Hope this helps!

Adam
Old 12-29-2019, 07:09 PM
zbbb0730
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Just my opinion here. but I think it is ideal to cool the head and the core in some way. The head can "fool" the body into thinking you're cooler, while your torso is still very hot.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:39 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

you need shirt and helmet. Especially if you run full doors.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Im going to try the Koolbox chill helmet blower along with the Chillout system shirt. Need to keep weight down for IMSA thus removing my existing coolshirt/cool box system.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:58 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

Anyone else using this system? I have a new to me track car and am thinking to buy this instead of the traditional Coolsuit ice box system.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:01 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure why I can’t edit the above post. I forgot to add the link to the system I’m considering: https://www.chilloutsystems.com
Old 08-16-2020, 06:30 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Pretty sure a few cars caught on fire recently with the chillout systems, not sure if that has been resolved.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:36 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Pretty sure a few cars caught on fire recently with the chillout systems, not sure if that has been resolved.
Where are the reports on this? Can you point us to the info?
Old 08-16-2020, 07:28 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Anyone else using this system? I have a new to me track car and am thinking to buy this instead of the traditional Coolsuit ice box system.
I know a team that uses these. The only issue they had was at Daytona this year when it was very hot and humid they crapped out in both of the cars they had them in. So in an extreme condition of heat and humidity they stopped working. Never had that issue with ice...
Old 08-16-2020, 08:29 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

I’ve run all the ice-based system and Chillout. The Chillout is vastly superior in my view. I was at the WRL event at Road Atlanta a month ago; it was 98 degrees and the Chillout worked great. The only time I’ve seen people have issues is when the hoses get linked and stop the flow. You see lots of team in WRL running these systems, which says something IMO. I have never heard of any fire issues; that seems like internet lore to me.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:25 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input guys. Pending learning more about these fires, I will plan to get the Chillout system. The ice approach was always much better than nothing, but in Florida heat it was never quite good enough.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Anyone have experience with the Chillout shirt?

I have been wearing a TraqGear coolshirt for a while and I think it works great. That being said, I bought a Chillout shirt recently and tried it at NJMP this weekend and thought it was horrible. Maybe I got a bad shirt but it did not cool me at all.

The shirt weighs a lot and is hot as hell without water going through so I feel like I would need to take it off every time I get out of the car. That would be if it worked. I feel like hardly any water is going through and it made me more warm in the car. I tried it for several sessions before going back to my Traqgear shirt.

Did I get a bum shirt or did anyone else have this experience?

Quick Reply: Koolbox Chill vs Coolshirt