Open letter to fix cupcar Chaos

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 04:51 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,384 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Meant to post this here -

I think the better solutions are the ones based on weeding out the idiots as opposed to changing how we start, how we race, etc.

Enforcement will solve this issue.
The following users liked this post:
Horus2000 (02-08-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 09:27 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

So here's where we have a problem. I had a very similar situation. Competitor going for a lane that was disappearing. I was the blue car. I was much luckier since I did not get turned into the wall.

I got the 13 for the ensuing contact.

I won on appeal.

But this is why #14 doesn't think he's at fault.

The afore mentioned competitor had already totaled his car at the DMTD event, rented another and hit the wall with a bit of fixable damage the next morning. Then he totaled the rental bouncing off me on the first half lap of the race.

Sitting on grid I was warned of the afore mentioned driver's aggression. Afterward I was told "Oh that's just (afore mention driver), he takes risks."

A contributing factor was a car that was terribly slow in the corners and when speaking to the stewards I mentioned the slower traffic and without me saying anything more the steward guessed the car number.

The risk taker subsequently totaled another car at a later race weekend. So if we are keeping count thats 3 cars destroyed in two race weekends.

In 11 years of racing I've only totally destroyed one car.

And since the afore mentioned driver has suffered no penalties from PCA CR nothing has been learned that I am aware of.

Maybe a deterrent is to bring back the single car 13 based on frequency and severity of incidents.

Maybe another deterrent is if an appeal is won then some consideration needs to be given to assign blame to the other driver. Maybe a 6 instead of a 13 not effecting points. As it stands if you are found not at fault at the track you can literally get away with murder as PCA won't go back and give you a 13.

And once again both these drivers were "known" to be potential problems. PCA has got to come up with a fair way to deal with that. Emphasis on fair because we are all paying to be there. Maybe a "go home, here's 1/2 your entry fee back." And the volunteers are just that. And they aren't looking for fights. I dunno. I'm just thinking outside the box.

Last edited by Streak; 02-07-2020 at 10:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streak:
Agena (02-09-2020), FFaust (02-08-2020), Paul Solk (02-08-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 09:30 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand being angry and facing car repairs and no racing from others' bad actions, been there. Just want to post that when you have punitive measures from PCA racing, without transparency, without some sort of representative democracy, and without due process like the situation we have now, you are giving stewards-- having no requirements it appears to get their "jobs, " except racing somewhere and volunteering with their buddies -- power even when the wrong decisions are made. Sorry, but not all incidents are clear cut and there's still no public documentation on what makes someone at fault in PCA.
You have to think of the wrongly accused. Been there, too.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:51 PM
esscape26
Racer

Posting this separately: PCA always had more practice sessions over the race weekend, and in response to racers, traded practice for an extra race. This has led to poorer skills, more Type A sessions, people on all kinds of heat cycled tires, and less time to address one's leaking or ailing car, if need be. A positive solution may be to have some weekends that go back to the old format, leading to actual championship weekends with the more races. This allows racers to ramp up to and handle Type A rather than having to go straight to qualifying and racing right after arrival!. Another idea in this vein, would be to take the qual lap from any of the first day, or a group of sessions. I always like split starts, and that could be used as well.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:06 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
Posting this separately: PCA always had more practice sessions over the race weekend, and in response to racers, traded practice for an extra race. This has led to poorer skills, more Type A sessions, people on all kinds of heat cycled tires, and less time to address one's leaking or ailing car, if need be. A positive solution may be to have some weekends that go back to the old format, leading to actual championship weekends with the more races. This allows racers to ramp up to and handle Type A rather than having to go straight to qualifying and racing right after arrival!. Another idea in this vein, would be to take the qual lap from any of the first day, or a group of sessions. I always like split starts, and that could be used as well.

They did? Every race I've been to for the past 9 years has had 3 practices.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:30 PM
esscape26
Racer

The third practice is now qualifying. That used to be just plain practice, except at Road Atlanta.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,384 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
They did? Every race I've been to for the past 9 years has had 3 practices.
The third practice is now qualifying. That used to be just plain practice, except at Road Atlanta.
If you are racing the guy in front of you then you are not going to qualify well. That is just stupid.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:57 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Marc- I was very disappointed to see your 6Cup was involved...I was always a fan of that car.

Originally Posted by MarcD147
...these incidents potentially create reputational damage to Porsche and PCA clubracing.
Not potentially; they have. Years ago.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
...and people summarily sent home for being douche bags, we would be seeing a lot less douchebaggery today.

As others have said, when there are no consequences, misbehavior mushrooms. If you don't stand for something...you stand for nothing.
+1

Is anyone else shocked that people are shocked about the PCA crashfest v 6.0 ?
What is Past is Prologue.
I was more shocked last year when it was pretty clean (at Sebring). There are other places to race...

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The idea that vintage and historic racing, especially IGT, Mission and others held under the vintage umbrella, is any less competitive is hogwash.
Boy, isn't that the truth. The competition is fierce, and far from the perception umbrella of "Vintage Racing"....a typical IGT Grid looks like last years PWC field, with double the track time of a PCA weekend.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Wait, WTF?

Is this “conversation” a real thing?
A second, and identical, "conversation" also occurred. He's delusional.

The following users liked this post:
FFaust (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 07:13 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

practice 3 always gridded the first race though, so it was effectively a quali session, no?

i very much like the always green qualifying instead of p3 - imho safer because you can release NOT into a pack get out lap done and set a lap. this way you dont need to do the out lap then a lap in traffic then box to look for space while your tires lose heat. pitting fir an opening is much better than driving super slow creating a gap that way
Old 02-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
The afore mentioned competitor had already totaled his car at the DMTD event, rented another and hit the wall with a bit of fixable damage the next morning. Then he totaled the rental bouncing off me on the first half lap of the race.
WTF?? Please post car pic so that we can all avoid him.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:37 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by winders

Where did he think he was going to go? Did he really think that there was enough room for him next to the car with Gulf colors? I suppose he thinks the Gulf car cut him off.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:04 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
This would be a PSA, not a "throwing under the bus".

If I screwed up and got a 13, I would be ok with being on a published list. Would be part of my penance, I guess. But that's me...
Old 02-08-2020, 12:42 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 777 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
It would seem he goes through cars so fast that posting a photo of his car would be pointless.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust

If I screwed up and got a 13, I would be ok with being on a published list. But that's me...
I agree with you. Me, too.

But publishing the 13/13 list is a sticky wicket for nearly every club I know. Most won't do it, and while I would like to see it public to KNOW who I'm racing with and who to watch out for, most clubs are not convinced that publication of these lists is a good idea.

For historic racing, a confidential list is kept current and circulated among VMC member clubs, the 30-plus member clubs of the Vintage Motorsports Council, and their competition directors.Pretty much all the clubs adjudicate incidents using some variant of the 13/13 rule.

The purpose of the confidential list is not to "blackball" drivers, but to keep a record for reference and to build a historical record of who was involved with what incidents, where and when, that can be handed off to the next event organizers.

It's designed to reduce the subjective measure and improve objective tracking of driver behavior and frequency of incidents. I have lists going back thirty years and it's amazing how many times a few names repeatedly crop up.

I don't know the answer, but an internal list, kept current, with a long "lookback" and updated frequently between events for timeliness, is a good idea, for sure.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
It would seem he goes through cars so fast that posting a photo of his car would be pointless.
Lol!!

Quick Reply: Open letter to fix cupcar Chaos