Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets have some fun... Name your favorite corner and why.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 06:43 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Barber 13-14-14a-15
I'd like to second that one but maybe at 12 on the front of the sequence. T15 (I mean up by pit-in) is the first place I ever really experienced trail brake rotation and now I can't get enough of it

I'd also nominate Eau Rouge/Raidillon which I have been lucky enough to experience in a couple of different Porsche cars. When you stand at the bottom and look up it's like a massive wall of tarmac rising up in front of you...much more intimidating then when you see it from any in-car perspective. That said pretty much all of Spa is a hoot -- Double Gauche and Blanchimont being standout fast corners and La Source just as an iconic slow corner. If I had to pick just one track...Spa would be it.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I think that was due to VR’s non-payment issue. He didn’t think he got his money’s worth!

Haha! In the immortal words of Marion Barry: "bitch set me up!"

The angry stripper...I gave her a ride in Greg Platt's GT3. She had a lot of fun and made all sorts of fascinating sounds
The following 2 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
anthony42hat (03-25-2020), ned911 (03-25-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 07:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I'd like to second that one but maybe at 12 on the front of the sequence. T15 (I mean up by pit-in) is the first place I ever really experienced trail brake rotation and now I can't get enough of it

I'd also nominate Eau Rouge/Raidillon which I have been lucky enough to experience in a couple of different Porsche cars. When you stand at the bottom and look up it's like a massive wall of tarmac rising up in front of you...much more intimidating then when you see it from any in-car perspective. That said pretty much all of Spa is a hoot -- Double Gauche and Blanchimont being standout fast corners and La Source just as an iconic slow corner. If I had to pick just one track...Spa would be it.
Yes good point about 12.

Spa is my #1 bucket list track, not only due to the magnificence of the track itself, but also because my late father fought the ***** there
Old 03-24-2020, 08:10 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by steved0x
Road Atlanta T6 / Carolina Motorsports Park T8 - I like that you can more speed than you think due to the favorable banking and the added challenge of the uphill braking/turn in.
Took me a long time to truly believe that about T6 at Road ATL, but when I finally did, I suddenly got faster.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:29 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Yep drive in deep and fast at Turn 6 Road ATL, and with so many great turns through the Northeast that have already been mentioned, here's another from a lesser known track;

For those of you who haven't been north too much I'll put in an honourable mention for Calabogie Turn 8....its called temptation....a long declining radius (somewhat blind) turn that tries to suck you in to going too fast too soon...it should be called patience but the right line can pay huge dividends... too fast and a tire wall is your friend on exit.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:40 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

I may well hit the wall there the next time out, but there’s no better feeling to me than really sticking the legendary T12 at Road Atlanta. RA is my home track, and it’s really not legit for me to smirk at hearing far better drivers than I am confess to flinching when they top that hill the first time. After getting the GT4 and realizing that I can actually stay on the throttle quite a bit coming down that hill, I register how well I have negotiated the un-cambered T12 according to what the speedometer reads when I first tap the brakes at the end of the front straight to start it all over again with T1.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:53 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Climbing esses at Watkins...of course flat
Old 03-24-2020, 09:47 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point).. the "Carousel".
Old 03-24-2020, 10:53 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WGI. Turn 1 to Bus stop, the exhilaration you feel as the front get light transitioning right to left up the esses.. when you get it perfectly it feels Incredible... turn 10 can be so rewarding if you hit the apex perfectly, patience when turning in .. wow..

LCMT, turn 2, skipping and hopping left as you crest the blind top of the hill.. wow

VIR, up the esses, then exit left is a rush.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:52 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
Hookers aside, I actually really like T2-4 at NJMP Thunderbolt. T2 is blind and you drift from
the apex out to the curbing, T3 is fast and a real challenge to take flat in my SPB, and T4, when taken right, requires a good deal of aggression and commitment. Now, they don’t really stand up to some of the classics already mentioned here, but I still find that sequence to be quite a lot of fun. Plus, hookers

I agree turn 4 at Thunder is a lot of fun as is the last turn at Pittsburgh International. Probably any time you are going as much sideways as forward across curbs is fun.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:12 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
the last turn at Pittsburgh International. Probably any time you are going as much sideways as forward across curbs is fun.
Do you mean the “U” shaped uphill right hand turn after the kink on the back straight?

Technically it’s not the “Last” turn but it is fun! On the full circuit it’s 17. North course only it’s 10

The slight left kink you apex as you crest onto the front straight is 19: the last turn (or if only using the north course: turn 12).

Old 03-25-2020, 10:35 AM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Turn 12 at Road Atlanta is always interesting in the wet.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 AM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
T-5 at SP Main is the only corner on that track I had issues with.

Spun a Spec Miata straight off that corner twice earlier in the year with Potomac. In my defense, new to me car and new to me track. A fun corner indeed....
I was there that weekend and saw you, sorry i didn't make it over to introduce myself. You should be able to take it flat in that Miata but you have to know the dynamics of that corner. The first time I was at that track I was in my bone stock 997.1 2S and my instructor did a great job instilling confidence and building my speed up to the point that I took it so fast that I literally scared myself. I told him so and he casually said..."that's about as fast as we can take that on street tires." My butt could have squeezed the copper out of a penny.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:32 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Do you mean the “U” shaped uphill right hand turn after the kink on the back straight?

Technically it’s not the “Last” turn but it is fun! On the full circuit it’s 17. North course only it’s 10

The slight left kink you apex as you crest onto the front straight is 19: the last turn (or if only using the north course: turn 12).
That one is fun too. Pitt has a number of good turns, there's just a couple too many IMO but I was thinking of 19. Flat out at turn in and then try to get it straight to brake.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:40 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony42hat
I was there that weekend and saw you, sorry i didn't make it over to introduce myself. You should be able to take it flat in that Miata but you have to know the dynamics of that corner. The first time I was at that track I was in my bone stock 997.1 2S and my instructor did a great job instilling confidence and building my speed up to the point that I took it so fast that I literally scared myself. I told him so and he casually said..."that's about as fast as we can take that on street tires." My butt could have squeezed the copper out of a penny.
Next time. I'll be back...
Isn't T-5 the tight left hander into the carousel, (right after the right hand kink), or do I have my corners mixed up?

I spun off at that left hander going into the carousel. I thought that was 5. I don't think I could take that corner flat out. I think I may have my corners mixed up.

The first spin I came off the clutch to quick after the downshift. Second spin I have no idea why I went off except maybe a bit too fast on entry.

I have my corners mixed up don't I? T-5 is not the left hander?

Quick Reply: Lets have some fun... Name your favorite corner and why.