Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since we are all sitting around bored

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 10:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 773 Posts

Many top level stunt drivers are really skilled. Also realize that most movie/TV stunt vehicles are highly modified, including often having rally-style handbrake levers to get those really tight tidy oversteer turns. Some even have a separate lever for left rear brake and right rear brake...
Old 04-05-2020, 12:33 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Note the lane change to open up the apex at the end of the street @1:18. Even the lane change was a "proper chicane". Note how he is able to get back to the gas as the car drops of the curb in the right hander - maybe even before the curb drop if he lifts a bit as the rear gets loose while it drops.

Later, the 120MPH under the El isn't so impressive even though they really did it - asTed Lazarides used to say, "my grandmother can go fast in a straight line!".

Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I have a bunch to complete tomorrow and Monday.

Keep 'em coming, even if they're from the Highway Patrol
This is great, and please post them up here, this is a great resource (as well as well needed therapy..)..
Old 04-06-2020, 12:41 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'll let the video owners post if they want
The following users liked this post:
roadie13 (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 06:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Ok, a bunch of analyses went out today. More to do tomorrow and Wednesday morning.

Keep 'em comin' !!
Old 04-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to Dave for reviewing my non-Porsche video, although there is Porsche content. Here is link to video as well as Dave's comments.
CheersWell that was fun to watch! So nice to see those older Elvas and Jaguars and Porsches really get driven! Nice race craft!

Without any data overlay, it’s tough to judge trail braking etc, so here are three observations for you to consider. They are little nuanced things that won’t always work when we have a close competitor…but as you know, at your level of driving, these nuances can make a big difference.

T10) Removing the laps when you were right behind the 911, let’s look at 9:05 and 10:35. Look how much steering lock you still have when you are nearly at track out. I have never driven an Elva. However, in an ideal world, particularly with a lower HP car, I want to get rid of as much front tire scrub as possible when I am accelerating. As you detach from the apex of 10, if you could let the steering out a bit more, the car is still going to drift laterally right, to the track out curbing, but without any steering lock whatsoever. Considering the length of that straight, and also considering how fast you are in T1, if you could squeeze out even 2 MPH here, in theory you’d carry that all the way to the brake zone of 2…which would have a dramatic impact on times

T4-T5) your car looked particularly unstable in here. You handled it great, however I wonder if it would be a bit more stable, with the potential to carry a bit more speed in & out, if we made it a modified diamond with two sequenced apexes in 4? This might put us slightly later into the apex of 5, but without any additional steering. Perhaps you have already tried this, and it’s worse? I don’t know. However, I think the visible instability is hurting us here

T9). When you roll up onto and use all of the apex curbing here in the Bitch, you carry notably and visibly higher RPM (since I can’t see MPH) in and out of here all the way to the brake zone of 10. This ids something ideally to repeat!

Hopefully this all makes sense & helps. Hope you’re staying safe up there,

Dave
roadie13 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 01:20 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

I want to thank Dave for reviewing and providing fantastic feedback on two track videos (WGI & VIR) that I forwarded to him. Dave provided some really excellent insights and tips that I would not have thought of myself. From tips on how to approach T1 at WGI, to maximizing speed through the esses (shifting into a higher gear sooner to enable earlier and more throttle application), to techniques through the Bus Stop (use more of the first curbing), to feedback on car positioning at T9 were all super helpful. The VIR feedback was equally excellent, focusing on carrying more speed between T1 and T3, more consistent throttle through the climbing esses, and great notes on Oak Tree and Hog Pen! Thanks Dave for all the great feedback, it was excellent. A great service to the forum!
Old 04-08-2020, 02:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys!

One more to finish and send out today.

Keep them coming, folks!
Old 04-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a little busy at the hospital, but great to check in again. Dave also gave me some great racecraft tips, from car position, to when (and when not) to press the pass. Very easy to grasp, and great follow up on my questions.

Thanks, and I hope we all get back on track soon!.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:53 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
I've been a little busy at the hospital, but great to check in again. Dave also gave me some great racecraft tips, from car position, to when (and when not) to press the pass. Very easy to grasp, and great follow up on my questions.

Thanks, and I hope we all get back on track soon!.
So do I, doc! Stay safe!

Keep 'em coming, folks!
Old 04-14-2020, 09:57 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Keep 'em coming, folks!
You are like the energizer bunny of Rennlist....
Old 04-14-2020, 10:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
You are like the energizer bunny of Rennlist....

Dude. I am bored too, and jonesing for the track. Any track. This keeps me engaged, too!
roadie13 (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:16 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Dude. I am bored too, and jonesing for the track. Any track. This keeps me engaged, too!
No doubt. Stay engaged. You are also keeping us engaged as well with the coaching. Thanks for that.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:44 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Since Dave donated his time and expertise, I thought I'd share this for the benefit of others. Dave is both familiar with me somewhat and very familiar with the car. I would describe myself as a reserved safe driver - generally too safe to be really fast. Probably started this hobby too late compared to the whippersnappers. Anyway, here is the video and Dave's response is below. Enjoy and please don't laugh too hard.

I do miss that car! I’ll bet she is a lot more fun after the repave, given how stiff the car is. OK, here are some observations for your consideration, that could yield significant lap time improvement without added drama or danger.

T1). I think you’re braking way too early, considering the car is only doing 110 MPH and it’s an ever-steepening hill. I know the bump was still there then, but still it’s too early. And thus, you give away valuable straightaway acceleration and entry speed.

T2) Wind the car out a bit more in 3rd before going to 4th. It will give you a bit more entry speed, and since your line is perfect, the car will stick. Also, I’d like to see you at 100% throttle all the way to the brake zone of T3, instead of the off/on approach you’re taking. The car can and should be closer to 105 MPH there, rather than just a bit over 90. Given how much real estate is here, this has a tremendous impact on lap times.

T6) Starting at 0:35, I suggest 100% throttle until you do the slight lift to turn into T7

T7) as soon as you turn in, roll back to 100% throttle so you are wide open across the apex. Also, let the car fully track out to the curbing on the right, and just go up that—it’s a very effective and straight uphill brake zone. That’s why it’s so heavily rubbered in—all the pros do this. There is no need to weave left to set up for 8. It’s actually slower…. You’re doing a lot of coasting all through 6 into 8, and your potential is much faster here.

T9) At 0:50, you should be at 100% throttle. This ;predicates your speed all the way to T11, and your entry speed is low enough here that early full throttle is warranted.

T10) Do your upshift to 5th gear just as you turn in…and then mat the throttle

T11) You apexed about 1’ too early, as evidenced by the amount of steering angle you still had at track out. That extra front tire scrub (as opposed to wheels 100% straight) hinders exit speed. And every 2 MPH you pick up at 11 translates to probably 4-5 by 12! So a real lap time benefit.

T12) also early apex. Plus, because there is a little bit of good camber right at apex, your potential vMin here is closer to 45 MPH…so more entry speed is possible without drama. Work up gradually by braking with just a little bit less intensity there...

T13-14) Given the low RPM’s here, you should be at 100% throttle by at least 1:50 if not 1:49

Carousel) At about 2:10, shift up to 5th gear and roll swiftly and smoothly to 100% throttle. Right now we are gong to 100% throttle around 2:16, so that’s an extra 5+ seconds of full power in here. Given how long the carousel is, imagine the benefit! I’d like you to be 105-110 MPH here…

T19) Significant over-slowing. Your vMin potential is around 75 MPH here, rather than just a whisper over 60. Given the low entry speed, you can be 100% throttle at 2:21…

T20) Super nice!!!!!!

I hope this all makes sense and is helpful,

Dave
The following 3 users liked this post by TXE36:
dgrobs (04-20-2020), roadie13 (04-20-2020), thebishman (04-18-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 03:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

OK, folks, I just finished a batch of videos and emailed comments out. I have one more set of videos on some West Coast tracks to finish for someone here. I'll probably be done that tomorrow morning. So I have capacity for more again. Keep 'em coming!!!

Quick Reply: Since we are all sitting around bored