Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins just canceled DE May 15-17! Club Race?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 01:17 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Watkins just canceled DE May 15-17! Club Race?!

Not looking good. Fingers crossed.

Stu
Old 04-24-2020, 01:34 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Not looking good for the CR but I’m ready to go if it happens.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,361 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Anyone have a connection to Gov. Cuomo? If Georgia can make tattoo parlors an "essential service" we can do the same for race tracks.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
atafro888 (04-27-2020), NYoutftr (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 05:14 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Anyone have a connection to Gov. Cuomo? If Georgia can make tattoo parlors an "essential service" we can do the same for race tracks.
NYS is just a mess and I'm upstate--they're finally ramping up the testing so the numbers are going through the roof. I just found out my tech at the dealer tested positive y-day.

This sucks.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:54 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

We'll all get back to this thing in no time at all. Honestly, i miss being in the car, prepped that SPB really well, was excited. But, hopefully all our empathy and consideration is towards maybe the shops, the shop owners, they dont make gazillions and work crazy hard to give us a great day in the car. and the crew, same thing. sometimes im in awe with how hard they work . you show up before the drivers meeting and they've been cranking for hours, and when you're back showering at a hotel after, they are still getting your machine ready. they love their work. but im sure many are hurting a bit right now. the tracks. the corner workers, etc yeah, i want to be in the car, but no pity for us drivers. lets hope to get back so we can enjoy it, they can get back to having nice livlihoods and the world will be right again.
just dont see it though for another month or more. NY and NJ are as restrictive as they come and at the top fo the leaderboard in all areas of infection, mortality and whacky governors.
The following 2 users liked this post by spg993tt:
amso3 (04-28-2020), KevinGross (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 07:20 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
NYS is just a mess and I'm upstate--they're finally ramping up the testing so the numbers are going through the roof. I just found out my tech at the dealer tested positive y-day.

This sucks.
Holding tight in Indiana; new engine is not completed in NY; cash flow is becoming an issue; contemplating installing a rebuilt Kelly-Moss cylinder head on engine (existing head had a valve guide faulure) in the car to save cash outflow and maybe change engine for SVRA WGI race in September.
The new engine was to have the car have the capability of running stronger in CP of Group 8, but maybe have to wait until 2021, the year of 80.
Glen, when is it reasonable to return to NY?
Old 04-25-2020, 08:43 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Holding tight in Indiana; new engine is not completed in NY; cash flow is becoming an issue; contemplating installing a rebuilt Kelly-Moss cylinder head on engine (existing head had a valve guide faulure) in the car to save cash outflow and maybe change engine for SVRA WGI race in September.
The new engine was to have the car have the capability of running stronger in CP of Group 8, but maybe have to wait until 2021, the year of 80.
Gary, when is it reasonable to return to NY?
State is "on pause" (i.e. closed except for essentials) until May 15, then ???
This is really small but I'm afraid to put my helmet on with all this hair ah'm sportin'
Old 04-26-2020, 09:29 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody have any real perspective on how much notice we'll get if they do cancel the CR ?
I understand it's government dependent (which means squirrelly as hell).
Old 04-26-2020, 10:21 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by rhargy
Does anybody have any real perspective on how much notice we'll get if they do cancel the CR ?
I understand it's government dependent (which means squirrelly as hell).
Everybody’s crystal ball is broken and It will be entirely up to N.Y. State. There is so much pressure on everybody to open up again that there might be special rules to be considered. I could easily see major sporting events in certain States cancelled until the end of the year. Hoping for the best.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:04 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

As of the most recent, news, Gov. Cuomo is actively considering a regional approach "refreshing" the on pause button.........obviously, NYC and the immediate suburbs to say Westchester, are hot spots that won't be the first to re-open. However, Central NY might one of the first areas to be allowed to return to doing business, as the population density and commensurate rate of known infection continues to stay low. Testing is being increased and now the 5000 local pharmacies are allowed to be collection centers for testing...the private labs have been called into action to evaluate the tests.......... While I am not a betting man, end of May, June 1 would be an "educated" guesstimate as when things might return.....

As has been mentioned, each of us will have to make out own choice as to whether we will "risk" it with hotels, etc. I, for one, would pay a little extra to "hang" my trailer. I could get an air mattress, sleeping bag, sun shower (or sponge bath), stock the cooler, grill some food and make it happen, while staying 6 feet away and wearing a mask I could do this for a 2 or 3 day event......after that, it might be a bit much. ......The Glen permits camping, if the clubs want to pay the increased fee for guards, etc........
Old 04-26-2020, 02:24 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup

As has been mentioned, each of us will have to make out own choice as to whether we will "risk" it with hotels, etc. I, for one, would pay a little extra to "hang" my trailer. I could get an air mattress, sleeping bag, sun shower (or sponge bath), stock the cooler, grill some food and make it happen, while staying 6 feet away and wearing a mask I could do this for a 2 or 3 day event......after that, it might be a bit much. ......The Glen permits camping, if the clubs want to pay the increased fee for guards, etc........
Might be doing exactly this if the Mid-O 5/13-5/15 CR and DE are a go. Still very hard to risk it though. Arrgghh....
Old 04-26-2020, 02:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,361 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Just thinking through the logistics of this.

Driver's meeting has to be outside with every standing far apart.

No helping anyone buckle into their car.

Everyone needs a mask once they are out of the car.

No going over data with a coach, or at the very least, it makes it really tough.

No podium ceremonies.

How will PCA national work with timing and scoring and scrutes?

I really really want to go racing, especially at WGI, but I don't think it is going to take very long for the social distancing to brake down. As much as everyone says "a driver is by himself and social distancing" it is the other 9/10s of the day which are anything but social distancing.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:00 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Just thinking through the logistics of this.

Driver's meeting has to be outside with every standing far apart.

No helping anyone buckle into their car.

Everyone needs a mask once they are out of the car.

No going over data with a coach, or at the very least, it makes it really tough.

No podium ceremonies.

How will PCA national work with timing and scoring and scrutes?

I really really want to go racing, especially at WGI, but I don't think it is going to take very long for the social distancing to brake down. As much as everyone says "a driver is by himself and social distancing" it is the other 9/10s of the day which are anything but social distancing.
And therein lies the problem.

Take the risk? Don't take the risk? Can it actually be done with full social distancing in effect?

What about fuel, bathrooms, and something bad happening on track where you have to be towed off?

Of course, we don't want anything happening that requires a tow off the track, but if it does, are you gonna sit in your car or in the tow vehicle when the car is being towed? Someone else is driving the tow vehicle, yes?
Walk back to the paddock from the spot where you were towed from?
What if you go off in the toe of the boot?
That's a long walk, and a VERY long delay for the race or DE, whatever it happens to be.

Very hard to see how it can call work and all the while keeping a social distance. Race, DE, TnT, etc.

Can it be done? We're all saying "yeah, I can social distance at the track", but what about unforeseen circumstances requiring you to get back to the paddock after an incident?

So many variables concerning social distancing at the track, some of which can be followed, and some of which obviously can't be followed.

What about the health and well being of the EMT folks at the race? Are they social distancing? I guess if everyone drives their own ambulance it can. What if they have to get to you for help, G-d forbid medical help. Can they do that and stay 6 feet away from you? That puts both you AND the EMT at risk, yes?

I am not racing at The Glen this race, but I am dying to get back on the track, any track at this point. Can I justify possible picking up the bug and bringing it home to my wife and 3 kids? Is that worth it? To me, it's not, but that's me.

Hope you guys can all make informed decisions concerning this if the race actually happens.

What to do......
Old 04-26-2020, 03:40 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Much of what you bring up is already being dealt with in the medical community. And dealt with successfully. Using just masks and gloves.

It can be done but certainly mistakes and slip ups will occur. I'd love to go and will if it's allowed.

We will see.

Stu
Old 04-26-2020, 03:59 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Hope it happens for you guys. Just hope it happens safely.

Didn't mean to jinx anything, just being realistic.

Hope you guys can pull it off, and the State lets it happen.

Quick Reply: Watkins just canceled DE May 15-17! Club Race?!