Some good news from Mid-O and OVR..

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 04:46 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
You? I've been exposed, however briefly, as the moving chicane that I am

Seriously, thanks for the video PGas--if I wasn't such a dimer I'd break down and get my own system!
I actually like waiting a corner or two to take your point as I like the line you drive in some areas.

Question, coming off the back straight and setting up for the right hander into T-7, I always stay as far left as I can in the braking zone to open up the radius for that turn in. Slow in fast out.

I noticed numerous times that you were almost mid track at turn in there. If I stayed mid track coming into that threshold brake zone and then turned in, pretty sure I'd be off left before even getting in to T-8.

You being mid track at turn in there, is that a "momentum car" thing? I was amazed how you were able to hold the track and not really slide at that point. You seem to be decreasing the radius of that corner where I am always trying to increase that radius and keep more speed coming out of that apex.

What's your trick there? You were the only one I saw doing that. Everyone else, including myself, stayed far left until turning in.

Is that a "momentum car" thing?
Old 06-08-2020, 09:33 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I actually like waiting a corner or two to take your point as I like the line you drive in some areas.

Question, coming off the back straight and setting up for the right hander into T-7, I always stay as far left as I can in the braking zone to open up the radius for that turn in. Slow in fast out.

I noticed numerous times that you were almost mid track at turn in there. If I stayed mid track coming into that threshold brake zone and then turned in, pretty sure I'd be off left before even getting in to T-8.

You being mid track at turn in there, is that a "momentum car" thing? I was amazed how you were able to hold the track and not really slide at that point. You seem to be decreasing the radius of that corner where I am always trying to increase that radius and keep more speed coming out of that apex.

What's your trick there? You were the only one I saw doing that. Everyone else, including myself, stayed far left until turning in.

Is that a "momentum car" thing?
For me it is, B, a function of simply shortening the time being in the turn. Important thing is when you exit T7 you are totally track left, not mid-track. My goal is to get my right-side tires on the inside curb of 7 and being where I am on entry helps me get there and slide (and I am sliding ) right to the bottom (left side) of the exit of 7 to enter Madness on the inside curb. Conversely, I see lotsa people enter T9 at that track (the right-hander at the bottom of the hill that's all sealer following Madness) in the middle but I'm track left there. Whatever works.....

Same for T1 and T6 at WGI and T3 at Mosport (mid-track entry, that is)--might not be "textbook" but seems to work for me.

Going back to PGas' vid, I almost bump-drafted you in T1 after he passed us--look in his mirror after he goes by The track is quite wide there and there's grip on the outside (it's where to be in the wet) so if something comes up you've got room.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:26 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Good, I'm glad--it's pretty awesome being in a group like that with so many amazing cars being driven so well

Which reminds me that I forgot KOAN, who was easily one of the fastest and most courteous drivers I saw. That #912 was just rippin'
Chuck is so fast. Met him at my first track weekend 14 years ago when he drove the white 996 GT3. Inspired me...
Old 06-09-2020, 09:22 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, and Bruce, thanks for the special oil.He was a true gentleman. New motor is breaking in, I guess. The track was a little green and the temp in the 80's all slowed things down a little. However, it was a GREAT weekend, with beautiful weather and great meeting new and old friends. Alfred in the black ZO6 was really running well. We had a lot of fun. Lots of traffic, though. Just looked at my data, and theoretical best was 1:33.53. But it isn't the same as a REAL 1:33.53. Darn...now I have to go back!
Old 06-10-2020, 12:41 AM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great seeing some folks again. Chuck, can't let another 10+ years pass again. It's always a pleasure to meet up with Alfred and Harry. Great guys. For some reason I don't agree with this track but I shall return again....and again.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:28 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Ramon,

Now that you are local, it is sure to happen. I'll be back for the Audi event July 24-26. It is always a great event, if you are free. There is also a really fun event at WG with NNJR that weekend, but I'm committed to the ACNA event.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:51 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Gang!
It sure was great to be at the track and to meet some RL'ers!!!( Scott40, Dgrobs, Gbuff, and Koan (did I miss anyone?) Great group of guys, all around. Yes, I completely agree, OVR put on a great event. The drivers were great, too with most of the point by's being in a timely fashion. The weather was pretty spectacular...got better each day. I had a blast, even though engine troubles kept me off track on Sunday, (arguably the best day). I would go back in a heart beat! Car and trailer is now sitting at Dan Jacobs' in Southbury.....while I await the verdict.............

Special thankx to Koan for introducing himself, via a mutual friend David Kane,........your help was instantly invaluable as we played lead follow. Also, thankx for joining us for a little paddock grilling, we enjoyed the company.

Hope to see all soon, "at a track near you."..............

R\
Scott
Old 06-10-2020, 09:56 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Scott,

Wonderful to meet you, and dinner was the perfect end to a great day at the track. Thanks for twisting my arm! Please PM me when you find out about the motor.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:59 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by KOAN
Ramon,

Now that you are local, it is sure to happen. I'll be back for the Audi event July 24-26. It is always a great event, if you are free. There is also a really fun event at WG with NNJR that weekend, but I'm committed to the ACNA event.
Checking this event out!

Last edited by scott40; 06-10-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:04 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, and Bruce, thanks for the special oil.He was a true gentleman. New motor is breaking in, I guess. The track was a little green and the temp in the 80's all slowed things down a little. However, it was a GREAT weekend, with beautiful weather and great meeting new and old friends. Alfred in the black ZO6 was really running well. We had a lot of fun. Lots of traffic, though. Just looked at my data, and theoretical best was 1:33.53. But it isn't the same as a REAL 1:33.53. Darn...now I have to go back!
I was watching your run group for a session from the hill above the keyhole. You got that machine around so fast it boggled my mind. So smooth.

Was a pleasure meeting you as well. Hopefully we catch up again at a track soon.

Be well.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:27 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice!!!! Hope to be back on-track later this year as karting winds down, hopefully we can catch up and chase each other a little bit.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:17 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Andy,
I hope so too! Now that I have 100 more hp, we can run together again.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:34 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

One last thing I need to add regarding this event - I lost my headlight under braking coming out of Thunder Valley on the last lap of my last session Sunday...with a big tow in front of me, I didn't hang out to try to get it after the track went cold. Jeff, the DE Chair, made sure to get the headlight after the track crew did their evening sweep, and got it in the mail to me yesterday. Given all the things a track chair is juggling over the course of a weekend, I'd call that going far above and beyond! Thanks to Jeff and everyone else with OVR!

btw, this is why I shouldn't really touch my car!

Old 06-10-2020, 02:49 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
One last thing I need to add regarding this event - I lost my headlight under braking coming out of Thunder Valley on the last lap of my last session Sunday...with a big tow in front of me, I didn't hang out to try to get it after the track went cold. Jeff, the DE Chair, made sure to get the headlight after the track crew did their evening sweep, and got it in the mail to me yesterday. Given all the things a track chair is juggling over the course of a weekend, I'd call that going far above and beyond! Thanks to Jeff and everyone else with OVR!

btw, this is why I shouldn't really touch my car!

I've known Jeff for a long time--him, Gary and Dale are just aces

Quick Reply: Some good news from Mid-O and OVR..