Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with...gasp...Miatas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 07:54 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Any experience with...gasp...Miatas?

Sorry for the non-Porsche content, but I’m considering building a cheap track car for DEs and track days. I want a momentum car specifically as an education tool, and everything keeps coming up Miata. Wondering if anyone around here has any experience or could offer constructive advise about going this route. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:36 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 92 Posts

Another option is an E46 BMW. I went that route 3 years ago and now have mine for sale.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...topics/1277575

Fun car to drive on track.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:44 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Sorry for the non-Porsche content, but I’m considering building a cheap track car for DEs and track days. I want a momentum car specifically as an education tool, and everything keeps coming up Miata. Wondering if anyone around here has any experience or could offer constructive advise about going this route. Thanks!
There's a bunch of us around. I bought one in 2014 as a cheaper way to try and learn how to drive and I've loved it so much I never moved on the way I thought I would. What sort of questions do you have? PM me if you want. I've taken a street car to full HPDE only car over the years.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:56 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Good choice...I drive a Mini (also a "momentum" car) and the well-set-up Miatas continually aggravate me with the way they go around corners!
Old 06-03-2020, 09:58 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You won’t regret it. Big fun for short $$. Some friends & I built one for lemons and chump car racing and had a blast. Buy one that is already set up fot the track with a full cage. Learn not to use the brake pedal unless absolutely necessary.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:07 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

I rent them occasionally for learning new tracks and they seem to be cheap and bullet proof. The only thing that bothers me is that I have a hard time fitting in the car and the distance between my helmet and the cage is usually very small. I have found the 944 to be a much better solution as it gives you more room in the cabin. Both are great cheap reliable cars to learn in.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:32 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Also take a look at E36 M3's, the miata is a great learning tool I'm sure
Old 06-03-2020, 10:43 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,338 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Miatas are sort of like the "moped analogy". Fun to drive but you don't want your friends to see you doing it.

I have rented a Miata several times at LRP at the skid pad and thought they were awesome and tons of fun.

I have also rented Miata a couple of times to take part in a series of races at Monticello Motor Club and had a blast. When everyone is in the same car the racing is awesom,e and more real, as people are less concerned about their high priced car. There is a little more "argy bargy" and I liked that.

The only down side, as Frank mentioned (and Frank is in far better shape than me) is getting in and out. I am six foot and "husky" as JC Penney politely calls us stout lads. I need a bucket of bacon grease to get in and out of the caged cars. If you buy one with a lowered floor pan beneath the drivers seat, or get that mod done, you gain a couple of inches which makes a huge difference.

I already have a 944, which is my momentum car, otherwise I would probably own a Miata. (Just don't tell anyone I said that!)
Old 06-03-2020, 10:52 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 417 Posts

All cars are momentum cars.

My take on Miaters is they are only fun learning tools when running with other Miaters. Otherwise you get rotator cuff injury with your left arm out the window. My momentum car was a caged 8th Civic Si, gasp driving a WWD car, but it was set up well and put a smile on anybody’s face who drove it.

Peter
Old 06-03-2020, 11:05 AM
ruth
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

First thing is to make sure you fit. And then find one as close to what you want as you can. Building one yourself can be frustrating as well as expensive, money spent you will never come close to getting back if you decide to sell. And consider who you run with, as it can be off putting to spend the day with your left arm out the window, while you learn to drive a slow car fast.

All that said, Miatas are great cars, and loads of fun.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:21 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

My vote is E46M3. Relatively inexpensive and still enough speed to harass poorly driven GT3's. I have driven in a Miata in WRL and it takes considerable skill IMO to drive well, but even then you're going to point by high HP cars a LOT.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:50 AM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I considered the same, and ended up with a Boxster S dedicated track car. More room, more power, neutral handling and great platform to learn on. Very reliable after the coolant and power steering lines were replaced (aged out). I'm considering selling at year end to move into Spec Boxster if you are interested.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:04 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Miatas are great track cars if you can fit in one. If you can drive a Miata fast, you can drive anything fast and they are so cheap.

I ended up with an E36 M3, which is really just a bigger Miata with moar power. Still would recommend one if you could find one, but they are getting long in the tooth as they haven't been made for 20 years. Ought to be scads of E46 M3s out there for cheap, but running costs are higher. The M3 track car in my avatar has enough to harass GT-3s on the right track if driven really well and can run down any stock weight E46 M3s on the straights.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:15 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
I almost did this...but ended up going with a 996 cup. I still question that decision occasionally but the Cup has been a passion since I first saw one in 2003. Haven't had it on the track yet but looking forward to it. Just DE for now.

Okay...with all of that...if you're looking at a Spec Miata I'd go straight to these guys...

https://www.facebook.com/East-Street...4865835958765/

In my research, they know what they're doing, the cars look very sanitary and clean, they have a very good reputation for performance and reliability, and provided you don' t wad it up, the car should have good resale value when you're done. My 2c...
Old 06-03-2020, 12:28 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

They are great! Reliable cars with mostly inexpensive parts, which helps with maintenance. So many have been sold, that you have large knowledge base to access. They handle well (when setup properly) and communicate their vehicle dynamics to the driver very well. In that regard, they are a great car to learn in, but they are much more than just a "learner" car. If you were to move into racing, Spec Miata (SM) racing is the most competitive and populous racing out there. You won't find racing anywhere as tight in PCA or even most Pro racing; Australian Supercar racing would probably be the best analog. To win in SM, especially a Majors race, you need to be very good driver/racer (I'm not there yet ). Here's a front runner sample -

That said, they are low Hp cars, which is fine because you will need to drive it at the limit to get better. But in a DE, without others around, you WILL be passed a lot and sometimes feel lonely. I obviously like the car, but would recommend you rent one for a weekend, if you can. I don't know your driving level or aspirations, so I won't say it has to be Spec Miata prepped, but that's most likely what you will find available as a rental. When it comes to purchasing a car, if you need to drive to the track, then you will not want a fully caged car. If towing to the track, then a SCCA approved SM build is the way to go for safety reasons. Rent one, have some fun and then make your decision.

Quick Reply: Any experience with...gasp...Miatas?