Sponsored by:

Mid O video GT4 OOC

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 05:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
C'mon, Peter, they did actually install towel dispensers in the bathroom that actually function
And let's not forget about all those friendly wood bees. Love those little fellas......
Old 06-20-2020, 05:18 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
And let's not forget about all those friendly wood bees. Love those little fellas......
Yeah, the ones near my garage last weekend were as big as old Buicks
Old 06-20-2020, 06:41 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts

C'mon, Peter, they did actually install towel dispensers in the bathroom that actually function
They actually put some towels in the dispensers a couple of years ago.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
They actually put some towels in the dispensers a couple of years ago.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-20-2020, 07:04 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Serious question - I've only been into this hobby for 3 years, so I don't know the answer... Why isn't it standard operating procedure with all clubs / organizers / tracks that cars are not allowed to have coolant in them? PCA mandates this for all Mezger-engine cars, but I've seen first hand that just about any car is liable to dump its coolant on track. There's at least a couple coolant spills each season at Mosport, and I don't know that any I've seen first hand were Mezger-engine cars.

For the $140 it costs to flush coolant & refill with distilled water + water wetter in the spring, and then go back to coolant at end of season for storage, it seems like a no brainer. Genuinely curious why the no-coolant rule hasn't been adopted at a rate much higher than just Mezger cars.
IIRC, an email with such instructions goes out to all the participants.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:29 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
I SEEM to remember an amazing video... must be super 8 or something .. from a 70s race a mid-o, in the rain .. i think it was a transam race.. where cars just kept flying off the road, at same spot one after the other..... literally for 5-10 minutes. they just kept on slamming into one another.... anyone recall?
I think that was a late '70s runoffs at Road Atlanta, during the large bore race with GT1 cars. You can find it on youtube, one of the worst wrecks. Also there was a more recent one at the Glen, I think Grand-Am, so scary.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:02 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

thanks mike. exactly what i remember ... just cars plowing in, past the tree line so you could not see the pileup... never been to MIDO but sounds gnarly. SVRA is there next week and i was thinking about it..
Old 06-20-2020, 08:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
never been to MIDO but sounds gnarly. SVRA is there next week and i was thinking about it..
Go pop your Mid-O cherry.
Your car will love that track. So will you.
Do it. You’ll be glad you did.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:55 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

A certain very famous driver had some "history" there--1971:

Lexington, Ohio. August 22.

Virtually identical half-shaft breakages eliminated Team Gulf McLaren from the fifth Can-Am round at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, 70 miles south of Cleveland and paved the way for Jackie Stewart to cruise to his second victory of the year in the Johnson Wax-sponsored Group 7 Series in America. Half of the World Champion’s opposition was dramatically ousted on the opening lap when Denis Hulme had his right drive shaft snap a U-joint under braking for the very first turn, generating instant chaos throughout the 27-car field. Hulme’s ensuring gyrations gathered up several first division contenders, including the McLarens of Motschenbacher, Brown, Adamowicz, and Dutton. Dave Causey dealt the works M8F a death blow amidships with his T222 Lola, and the later retirements of both Motschenbacher and Brown may well have been caused by their having taken to the grass verge in a frantic series of phenomenal avoidances.

But the race was almost overshadowed by events which took place during practice. Appalled at the atrocious condition of the tight and narrow 2.4 miles that make up the mid-western US circuit, Stewart threatened to withdraw rather than risk what he termed a “heartrending incident”. And Tony Dean added considerable weight to cries of “unsafe” and “dangerous”, when he spun off in the same spot that Hulme was to make famous. Dean was unhurt but the McLaren’s tub was badly bent and must undergo an extensive re-build before its return to the Can-Am wars. In addition, various suspension breakages on both Stewart’s and Revson’s cars prompted Carl Haas and Teddy Mayer to petition the Stewards of the Meeting to have the race distance shortened from its intended 80 laps (192 miles) to a reported 50 to guarantee some finishers, but after consideration they announced that 80 laps it would be. Stewart reversed his decision not to run, but revealed later that he had agreed with Haas to drive for a finish only.

After the first-lap incident, Revson took the lead for Team McLaren and had little trouble staying in front. He pulled steadily ahead to where there was a secure 20-second interval before the Lola passed by, when his right half-shaft let go at the back of the course near the Valvoline bridge. Only 8 laps remained at the time, and, with his 2-lap edge over Siffert in the STP Porsche-Audi, Stewart simply stroked his way to the chequered flag. Adamowicz was third in the Jerobee Industries McLaren, Herbert Muller followed in his 512M Ferrari, Chuck Parsons was fifth in the Overhauser T160 Lola, and Milt Minter sixth in Vasek Polak’s 917 Porsche Spyder.

Statistics show the race completed in a time of 2 hours 16.763 sec. at an average speed of 95.777 m.p.h., and Revson was awarded f.t.d. honours for his performance on lap 49–a time of 1 min. 28.0 sec. (98.18 m.p.h.).

The Mid-Ohio race marked the end of the first half of the 10-race schedule, and, with drivers permitted to count only their four best finishes out of five, the top ten were as follows:

1st: Peter Revson, 67 pts.; 2nd: Denis Hulme, 65 pts.; 3rd: Jackie Stewart, 40 pts.; 4th: Lothar Motschenbacher, 32 pts.; 5th: Tony Adamowicz, 30 pts.; 6th: Jo Siffert, 27 pts.; 7th: Chuck Parsons, 18 pts.; 8th: Milt Minter, 17 pts.; 9th: Bob Bondurant, 10 pts.; 10th: Mario Andretti, 10 pts.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:32 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

1st: Peter Revson, 67 pts.; 2nd: Denis Hulme, 65 pts.; 3rd: Jackie Stewart, 40 pts.; 4th: Lothar Motschenbacher, 32 pts.; 5th: Tony Adamowicz, 30 pts.; 6th: Jo Siffert, 27 pts.; 7th: Chuck Parsons, 18 pts.; 8th: Milt Minter, 17 pts.; 9th: Bob Bondurant, 10 pts.; 10th: Mario Andretti, 10 pts.
Wow, just reading those names... History...
Old 06-22-2020, 03:49 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Mid-O is a great teacher about anticipating and adapting to a low grip surface. I will be bummed when it eventually gets repaved.

To the OP, been there, done that. Same spot on oil. You were very lucky - glad that you walked away!
Old 06-22-2020, 04:15 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

That's hilarious

then cut a nice arc around T10 to avoid much of the off-camber I'm usually good. If you try to hit the inside T10 curbing chances are good that you WILL lose the car.
This!!

I had a young kid in the car who was
trying to get into performance driving. His parents asked/OKed it and it started raining on the back straight, so I slowed up to head in. I slid off right there going straight!! No harm other than filling the car with wet grass that my splitter mowed and scaring my passenger a bit.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:36 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgoetz
This!!

I had a young kid in the car who was
trying to get into performance driving. His parents asked/OKed it and it started raining on the back straight, so I slowed up to head in. I slid off right there going straight!! No harm other than filling the car with wet grass that my splitter mowed and scaring my passenger a bit.
Yeah, welcome to the club--I went sideways there one time but managed to save it--a Code Brown learning experience to be sure
Old 06-22-2020, 05:42 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, been there, done that. Glad no injuries were sustained.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:13 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Is this why they always say it's more fun to drive a slow car sideways than a fast car backwards?

Quick Reply: Mid O video GT4 OOC