Sponsored by:

Chillin' With Lewis Hamilton

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 08:05 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Whenever I see someone shooting like this it always seems to be in the south and west. My buddy who lives in the Houston area has an awesome place to go like this. Where can us poor shlubs in the northeast go?

I started getting into plate shooting about two years ago and used to go with Spencer ***. I even bought a Sig P320 XFive. Now that he passed I don't have that person prodding me to go.

Would love to learn to shoot like that.
Good choice with the X5. Spencer used to go to a mutual friends range in Florida to train and shoot matches. Universal Shooting academy. The owner Is a good friend of mine and races a spec boxster. If you want to set up some training down there let me know and I can get you his contact info. I know Spencer did some indoor steel/plate matches quite a bit. It's much easier to do this type of shooting down south. Between races, I compete in USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge, a little bit of 3 gun and just starting into the long range/PRS stuff. (making shots out to a mile). Its a lot of fun and interesting to see the similarities between racing and competitive shooting.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:24 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
Good choice with the X5. Spencer used to go to a mutual friends range in Florida to train and shoot matches. Universal Shooting academy. The owner Is a good friend of mine and races a spec boxster. If you want to set up some training down there let me know and I can get you his contact info. I know Spencer did some indoor steel/plate matches quite a bit. It's much easier to do this type of shooting down south. Between races, I compete in USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge, a little bit of 3 gun and just starting into the long range/PRS stuff. (making shots out to a mile). Its a lot of fun and interesting to see the similarities between racing and competitive shooting.

Agreed 100% on the parallels. While I never shot competitively, we relentlessly trained in my previous careers, and also had to requalify at an extremely high level quite frequently, due to the nature of the work. And naturally, this always devolved into an informal competition...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 07-07-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:26 PM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 114 Posts

To be honest, I shouldn't post something so overly political here when it doesn't make sense.
Correct. Please stick to "owning the libs" in that cesspool of a political forum.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,361 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
Correct. Please stick to "owning the libs" in that cesspool of a political forum.
WTF is up with all the commentary from the peanut gallery lately? I already said what I said and don't need someone repeating back to me what I just said.

If you get hurty feelings you can just keep scrolling. I'll continue to post what I feel is relevant when the topic calls for it.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coryf
Spot on Cory - tons of parallels. The obsession, training, instruction, desire to get more and better gear, etc.

Sadly, the longest distance range in Connecticut is 100 yards. I am fortunate to have a range 15 minutes away but it is a mere 50 yards so I mainly shoot with steel sights on my long guns. I have a bunch of WW1 and WW2 era long guns and they are fun to shoot at that range. Anything with a scope is just ridiculous at that range.

I'll keep the place in Florida in mind as I really want to do some training at some point beyond what a few friends who have LEO and military have taught me.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:44 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Agreed 100% on the parallels. While I never shot competitively, we relentlessly trained in my previous careers, and also had to requalify at an extremely high level quite frequently, due to the nature of the work. And naturally, this always devolved into an informal competition...
Lol! For sure. A training session turns into, "how fast do you think we can clear that plate rack?" or "is that a dueling tree over there?"

Spot on Cory - tons of parallels. The obsession, training, instruction, desire to get more and better gear, etc.

Sadly, the longest distance range in Connecticut is 100 yards. I am fortunate to have a range 15 minutes away but it is a mere 50 yards so I mainly shoot with steel sights on my long guns. I have a bunch of WW1 and WW2 era long guns and they are fun to shoot at that range. Anything with a scope is just ridiculous at that range.

I'll keep the place in Florida in mind as I really want to do some training at some point beyond what a few friends who have LEO and military have taught me.
The WW1/WW2 stuff is really cool. Bummer you don't have closer access to some nicer ranges but still great you have something fairly close to get some basic practice in. Maybe next year if you go to Sebring, stay over a couple more days and do some training in Frostproof. Also if you are interested in starting some competitive stuff check out:
https://practiscore.com/search/matches
You can search and sign up for local matches.
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

=Sadly, the longest distance range in Connecticut is 100 yards..
There's a spot in Westchester you can get out to 300 yards. Pretty descent facility and cheap.

https://parks.westchestergov.com/sportsman-center

Also, there are a couple of groups that do tactical training there on pistol, carbine and shotgun

Last edited by Sean F; 07-08-2020 at 10:39 AM.
LuigiVampa (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 918 Posts

Sadly, the longest distance range in Connecticut is 100 yards.
Originally Posted by Sean F
There's a spot in Westchester you can get out to 300 yards. Pretty descent facility and cheap.

https://parks.westchestergov.com/sportsman-center

Also, there are a couple of groups that do tactical training there on pistol, carbine and shotgun
This is the best range in NE for PRS if you want to reach out to 1,000 yards: https://www.ridgelineshooting.com/the-facility.html

Sig Sauer in Epping, NH also has a 1,000 yd range but it's rarely used because they have to shut down everything else to use it.

Ridgeline is a bit of a haul but the nice thing is they share their space with Team O'Neil Rally School, so you could piggyback time there as well to hone your driving skills.

https://www.teamoneil.com/

Plan your trip right and you could even add in a couple of days at Club Motorsport.

LuigiVampa (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 02:29 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I have plans this weekend to take all my guns out (long and pistols), lay them on the table, and do a deep clean while watching war movies/racing.

Long guns and Glocks are easy to clean. Some of the other pistols require a YouTube video to clean. Nothing like having a spring zoom across the room into oblivion while cleaning a pistol.

Mosin Nagant is the best gun to clean. If you completely strip it down to its components there are ten pieces to a Mosin.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:43 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Next time you are at MSR Cresson, you are only a few miles from Triple C range, and they have 2,000 yd. Lots of other options there as well....

https://www.triplecrange.com/
Old 07-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Next time you are at MSR Cresson, you are only a few miles from Triple C range, and they have 2,000 yd. Lots of other options there as well....

https://www.triplecrange.com/
Correct
Old 07-10-2020, 09:48 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

+1

After his remarks about racism in F1 I've had enough of his sanctimonious BS. How can you simultaneously be the highest paid driver and argue that there is racism?

<don't shoot me mods!>
Disgusting commentary.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:47 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Disgusting commentary.
If you want to take out your Brother P-Touch and slap a "racist" label on every situation you see that is your business. I choose to recognize and be disgusted by real racism, instead of being upset by mega-rich famous people complaining about their perceived notion of racism.

I agreed that my comment was out of place in this sub-forum - not that my comment was out of place.

We are back to talking about guns if you want to take part.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:44 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 776 Likes on 506 Posts

I have plans this weekend to take all my guns out (long and pistols), lay them on the table, and do a deep clean while watching war movies/racing.

Long guns and Glocks are easy to clean. Some of the other pistols require a YouTube video to clean. Nothing like having a spring zoom across the room into oblivion while cleaning a pistol.

Mosin Nagant is the best gun to clean. If you completely strip it down to its components there are ten pieces to a Mosin.
Mosin Nagant are like a SKS or AK. Burying it in the mud for a decade, dig it up, hose it off, have it mostly right, and it will go boom and send lead downrange.

Glocks are tupperware and go in the dishwasher . Real pistols are 1911 without the new safety crap and chambered in .45 or 10mm.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:48 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to take out your Brother P-Touch and slap a "racist" label on every situation you see that is your business. I choose to recognize and be disgusted by real racism, instead of being upset by mega-rich famous people complaining about their perceived notion of racism.

I agreed that my comment was out of place in this sub-forum - not that my comment was out of place.

We are back to talking about guns if you want to take part.
By all means take one person out of the 100s of millions of POC around the world and hold it up as a sign that there isn't racism or that 1 of a very select few number who have made it into the mega rich stratosphere can't point to the other 100s of millions who haven't and speak of the racism. I stand by my comment. Yours is utterly disgusting and if you are doubling down on it, you are part of the problem.

Quick Reply: Chillin' With Lewis Hamilton