Old 09-03-2020, 11:36 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 781 Likes on 507 Posts

It looks interesting. I think once we have some more info on the unit (not just renderings) it could be a big help to people.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Looks like Garmin is entering the track app/coaching market:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...g-track-coach/
It's fantastic. There've been a few beta testers. Ross Bentley has been one of the resources keen behind the project.

It takes the technology out of the way of using it for quicker laps, IMO.

I should have stock shortly.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-03-2020, 01:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Looks like Garmin has them in stock and offers free shipping. It will be interesting to see the reviews once people have it in hand.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/690726
Old 09-03-2020, 02:17 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm thinking of trying it out. I almost bought an Apex Pro unit this week. It looks like Apex Pro tells you how close you are to the limit at any given moment, but the Garmin takes that same info and translates it into real-time concrete suggestions (ie turn in earlier, carry more speed, etc). If this thing can do what they say it can do, then it seems like a game changer. Especially at this price point, since it includes a video component.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Though I'm skeptical a magnet can hold that thing securely in place when I'm driving on a track with windows down.

youtube.com/watch?v=1NtUkLP2VAs
Old 09-03-2020, 04:21 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 149 Posts

Came here to post about it. Could be a nice tool with a benefit worth upgrading from they typical AimSolo.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rmag911
but the Garmin takes that same info and translates it into real-time concrete suggestions (ie turn in earlier, carry more speed, etc). If this thing can do what they say it can do, then it seems like a game changer. Especially at this price point, since it includes a video component.
Bingo.

I am of the mind that no device or system does everything in one box, but this does something no other device or system does, including Apex Pro.

I think this is complementary to AiM, VBOX, Apex Pro, RaceVoice and other tools, but unique in the main feature set.

It tells you where and how to improve using objectively derived video, car placement and forces acting on the car, both in real time and post session, without a computer, clunky software or anything else.

For a lot of people, that's what they're looking for.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-03-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I m interested, especially if our CDI at NASA is on board

Jeff
Old 09-03-2020, 08:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I will say that this is not a tool for rank novices. It’s for intermediate/advanced solo or instructors.
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (09-27-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 08:27 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Reading the literature it's says "real time" coaching... Can anyone elaborate on that. Like the apex pro, telling me to brake later after I started braking isn't really helpful.
Or dies it offer meaning advice for review later? I'd like a device that can help me brake down 1 or 2 corners to work on before I go out, rather than trying to digest what it saying in the heat of the moment.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jscott82
Reading the literature it's says "real time" coaching... Can anyone elaborate on that. Like the apex pro, telling me to brake later after I started braking isn't really helpful.
Or does it offer meaning advice for review later? I'd like a device that can help me brake down 1 or 2 corners to work on before I go out, rather than trying to digest what it saying in the heat of the moment.
No. It "speaks to you," in advance of the area you need work, and tells you what the optimal is. It offers the why afterwards, in the session review.

Session review. Not only does it show the optimal lap, which all loggers generally do, but prioritizes areas to work on.

True optimal lap calculation, without generating a segment report, enabling or disabling laps, with complete optimal lap review.

Traqmate is the only one who used to do be able to do a complete optimal lap stitched together in video, and it was a POWERFUL tool. No more questions. This gear is fastest, this line is the quickest sector, etc.

VBOX will soon offer this, but neither Traqmate or VBOX makes a qualitative assessment of how each segment flows into the next. For example, whether a segment is "too good" and the improvement can not be sustained.

All of this IS done without a laptop, Mac or PC. Only your phone, this device and some BT audio in your helmet or earpieces.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-03-2020 at 08:59 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by ProCoach:
GT3_Driver (09-08-2020), HelpMeHelpU (09-27-2020), jscott82 (09-03-2020), Martin S. (09-07-2020), mrbill_fl (03-31-2021)
Old 09-03-2020, 10:00 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
Or dies it offer meaning advice for review later? I'd like a device that can help me brake down 1 or 2 corners to work on before I go out, rather than trying to digest what it saying in the heat of the moment.
I had the same thought. Read a bunch of promotional material today. Looks like you can toggle audio and the device will give you instructions before the corner. I'll wait for some real world review, but I think I'm pretty close to sold on this thing.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Does it have a send it mode particular to each track? No brakes in the Kink, flat on the Downhill, rock the bump(s) at Sebring, flat up the Esses at VIR. It could be interesting!

It's cool how it takes the audio idea from Race Voice, score from Apex Pro, and then builds on it. I can think of a few ways they are going for the optimum line and places to identify as most important. It will be interesting to hear feedback from the people who bought one and get to use it some.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It also adds video and auto segmenting of VBOX, and the entire stitched together optimal lap review of Traqview.

Best of all, it doesn’t require substantial or even more than cursory training on its operation of how to get best use out of it.

No laptops required, only a phone and some good BT earbuds under your helmet and your set.

I’ve already sold two dozen and am taking pre-orders for more, because I know they’re coming by a specific date.

Also, I do think that it’s complementary to other systems, if you want to do the deep dive into platform behavior, car health and others on systems that are designed for that.

This? It’s a pure driver optimization tool. One that turns squiggly lines, speed, forces on the car, segment times and video into a guided tour on how to do faster, now!
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (09-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching