PCA and Lead and Follow

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 02:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts
Default PCA and Lead and Follow

PCA National has just sent out an email asking chief instructors to go to Colorado to learn how to implement Lead and follow! As the CI of a 40 year old region for 15 years, their arrogance is beyond reason. Thee is no mystery to good lead and follow. we do it for solo drivers unfamiliar with our track. One lead car two students and a follow car. All cars have radios and while the lead car shows the line braking points etc. the follow car keeps running commentary to the student cars in front - offering corrections advice and praise. Student cars pass each other so the follow car can provide individual instruction. What can a trip to Colorado (Covid risk on the plane) add I wonder? PCA denied us Green drivers since lead and follow is banned and in car instruction is not an option due to local Covid restrictions. Meantime our green drivers have been going to BMW and other events since we cannot accept them. We need better people at PCA National. Being in Montreal, our seaon is over next week. Thanks a bunch PCA!
Old 09-15-2020, 02:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

Too bad there isn't technology to allow a meeting where everyone can talk and see each other while being hundred and thousands of miles apart. Maybe someday in the future this "virtual" meeting could occur.
The following 3 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Jeff951NJ (09-18-2020), KevinGross (09-16-2020), skru_fase (09-17-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 02:46 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I instructed with "lead follow" at a Ferrari Club event at LRP about a month ago. There is no magic to it and no one should have to fly anywhere to get instruction on how to instruct lead follow.

I set up some hand-signals with my student and away we went. It worked out fine and my student had a good time and learned a thing or two.

I spent a good 15 minutes after each sessions talking about apexes, braking points, and other items which you would normally do while driving right seat. You just hope the student remembers it all when they get in the car for the next session.

To keep people interested lead follow is useful. As a learning tool I would say it has a 10% benefit of in car instruction.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:12 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Lawyers......

You're welcome.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:43 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

I have no feelings for or against this argument, just my 2 cents -
last time I saw "lead/follow" at a DE (don't remember if it was open track day or PCA or what) it was a train of cars doing 30-40mph around the track.
so maybe "lead/follow" depends on the leadership of the group as to how effective it is
Old 09-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Lawyers......

You're welcome.
Thought you were grounded. Oh that's right you are driving the expensive car
Old 09-15-2020, 10:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Lead and follow worked fine for us using the technique in my note above. The radios cost 15 bucks on Amazon, have voice activation so no button. press needed to coach the guys in front. Some were faster than others, we re-org'd each group after each session. We also arranged for groups to pass each other so slower groups didn't impede the faster ones. The cost of the radios hugely offset the otherwise loss in revenue to the club. As I said above maybe some regions need help but to assume we are all dummies is grossly insulting. I am thinking it's time to run non-pca events. Insurance costs more but we gain more than we lose.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Lead and follow worked fine for us using the technique in my note above. The radios cost 15 bucks on Amazon, have voice activation so no button. press needed to coach the guys in front. Some were faster than others, we re-org'd each group after each session. We also arranged for groups to pass each other so slower groups didn't impede the faster ones. The cost of the radios hugely offset the otherwise loss in revenue to the club. As I said above maybe some regions need help but to assume we are all dummies is grossly insulting. I am thinking it's time to run non-pca events. Insurance costs more but we gain more than we lose.
It sounds like you guys had a great program, but that isn't a surprise based on how you have done things in the past. I think David's comments on FB were about right and speak towards what is going on.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Lawyers......

You're welcome.
Everybody hates them.....until they need one.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I sometimes feel that way, but then I realize that it is the other person/group that has to change and I am going to make them change. Don't back out of PCA - push for change.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:33 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Everybody hates them.....until they need one.
I never said that, you did, and I surely would never say that about you.

As far as “everyone hates lawyers” is concerned, I’ve been lucky enough to have stayed neutral on the topic through my first 55 years. Never been sued, never been divorced, never been arrested, and never sued anyone (not counting using collection agencies).

I have retained lawyers for estate planning, trust guidance, real estate P&S’s, Our Prenup, family foundations, and the like. My experiences with attorneys have always been positive ones, so don’t put words in mouth.

Oh, and yeah....Up Yours Cupcake!!
Old 09-15-2020, 10:36 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Too bad there isn't technology to allow a meeting where everyone can talk and see each other while being hundred and thousands of miles apart. Maybe someday in the future this "virtual" meeting could occur.
I claim copyright on the name "Zoom". With that I can retire and drive all I want!!! It will be worth millions!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:02 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
I claim copyright on the name "Zoom". With that I can retire and drive all I want!!! It will be worth millions!
Nah. Zoom? No way. It’ll never catch on....
Old 09-16-2020, 09:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Well played. Bob, spot on. It's not rocket surgery. It's cars following each other.

Since we are poking lawyers:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 09-16-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:13 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Well played. Bob, spot in. It's not rocket surgery. It's cars following each other.

Since we are poking lawyers:
Say what you want about Clinton but I watched that testimony live and screamed "genius" when he said that. The evil lying rapist that he is.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:16 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 328 Posts

Well if you do come out here we can meet up for a beer. So at least that's something.

Quick Reply: PCA and Lead and Follow