Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incident at VIR: Who's at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 10:27 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Incident at VIR: Who's at fault?

Skip to 6:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0uP...ature=youtu.be

Who would you say is more to blame for the incident?

Popular Reply

09-17-2020, 12:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,894 Likes on 1,697 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy

I guess this is one major situation on the track that I've always been hypersensitive to. Not letting the faster car pass with room creates an unsafe situation for everyone.
And I will counter, as a competition instructor for Skip Barber and CI for hundreds of racing schools for the last thirty years, that this is one major situation that people STILL DON'T GET.

The primary responsibility for completing a safe pass is on the overtaking driver. Anything else is woulda/coulda/shoulda.

Sure, in retrospect, the Boxster might have been able to see/process/decide and execute a "bail" strategy, due to the erratic behavior of the Mustang and a sliver of time to react, but I have gone into Turn 1 at VIR THOUSANDS of times side-by-side in exactly the same circumstances, without the overtaking car cutting back over and compromising me.

I've been the overtaking car thousands of times and I wouldn't move over, without being DAMN SURE there was NO overlap.

It's easy in hindsight. The addition of the yellow flag condition at the Turn 1 worker station places the onus on the Mustang to do the right thing. Which they did not, they compounded that error (being surprised by the flag, if that truly was the case, which I doubt. I think they missed it).

If they DID see it, they compounded the error by "racing" to the flag, with consequences for the Boxster driver.

Overall, a competition driver's responsibility is, bottom line, to AVOID contact. For those who want to loop or share that on both, it's important to remember that there is no incident without a passing car...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-16-2020, 10:41 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

My vote is Mustang's fault. If you can't make an offline pass then you probably shouldn't be making the pass.

I hate people that need to jump back on line and then slam on the brakes to make a corner.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Not a racer, but I'm curious too. Gut feeling is low margin move on the part of the Mustang and he should have left room - he basically cut the camera car off while standing on the brakes.

Was there contact? It looks like the sharp right by the camera car was due to high braking effort and dropping two wheels off the left side - it basically skid steered right.

Looks expensive, hopefully nobody was hurt.

The following users liked this post:
Norge911 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:05 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
My vote is Mustang's fault. If you can't make an offline pass then you probably shouldn't be making the pass.

I hate people that need to jump back on line and then slam on the brakes to make a corner.
It didn't look to me that the Mustang even needed to move over nearly that much to make the upcoming turn offline.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Spot on.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:40 PM
KevinA
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

My vote is Mustang's fault.
The following users liked this post:
BG993 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That's bull****! I'd say that to the Mustang driver's face...

I was in the paddock and heard about the rollover. Sorry to see that.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:06 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm friends with the Boxster driver. I guess I am in the minority. I think my friend should've given the Mustang more room. I always give more room to faster cars passing late, especially while going into a hard braking zone.

Personally, I would've let off the gas earlier, and started braking earlier. It was a qualifying session and the car passing wasn't even in class. Just wasn't worth the risk.

Last edited by Prelude Guy; 09-17-2020 at 12:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Prelude Guy:
Viper pilot (09-17-2020), zracer196 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:09 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The mustang had no business jumping over to the left after making the inside pass heading into T1 essentially taking the track away from the Boxster. It looked like no contact but the Boxster locked up the binders and went for a spin trying to avoid the mustang that slammed the door shut.

Assuming this was a quali session where everyone is dead set on staying in the throttle... it looked to me like the mustang got spooked by the standing yellow flag at T1 and jumped on the binders trying to 'tuck in' but hopefully not intentionally cutting it that close. Really unfortunate.

If this was a practice session... I would have backed out expecting the mustang to dive bomb inside and potentially lose control. The extra space may have prevented the spin.

Hope the Boxster driver is A.O.K.

Last edited by RJFabCab; 09-17-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:10 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 777 Likes on 394 Posts

The Mustang driver all the way. You have to leave racing room. The Mustang driver did not do this. You can't just brake and move left like that unexpectedly.

Having said that, I am not going to let a guy I don't know and trust do that to me. I am going to back off just a bit to allow him to screw up without taking me out in the process.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:02 AM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Mustang 100% for sure. But........... Like Scott says, there was time as the Mustang started to drift over to the left that the box driver could have let it breath a bit, especially in a mixed class group where you may not know all of the drivers. Bad move on the mustang drivers part no doubt, but better to give it up rather than end up bent. Not worth on insisting on keeping my line, just not worth it.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:07 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Agree. Me too!

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
I'm friends with the Boxster driver. I guess I am in the minority. I think my friend should've given the Mustang more room. I always give more room to faster cars passing late, especially while going into a hard braking zone. Personally, I would've let off the gas earlier, and started braking earlier. It was a qualifying session and the car passing wasn't even in class. Just wasn't worth the risk.
Agree on this as well as there was an opportunity to let off the gas earlier and not get squeezed but nevertheless the Mustang should have held his line.

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
The mustang had no business jumping over to the left after making the inside pass heading into T1 essentially taking the track away from the Boxster. It looked like no contact but the Boxster locked up the binders and went for a spin trying to avoid the mustang that slammed the door shut.
Assuming this was a quali session where everyone is dead set on staying in the throttle... it looked to me like the mustang got spooked by the standing yellow flag at T1 and jumped on the binders trying to 'tuck in' but hopefully not intentionally cutting it that close. Really unfortunate.
If this was a practice session... I would have backed out expecting the mustang to dive bomb inside and potentially lose control. The extra space may have prevented the spin.
Hope the Boxster driver is A.O.K.
Agree on all accounts. Good point about the yellow in T1. I bet the Boxster driver didn't see it either otherwise he would have backed off.

Originally Posted by winders
The Mustang driver all the way. You have to leave racing room. The Mustang driver did not do this. You can't just brake and move left like that unexpectedly.
Having said that, I am not going to let a guy I don't know and trust do that to me. I am going to back off just a bit to allow him to screw up without taking me out in the process.
Originally Posted by cienegavista
Mustang 100% for sure. But........... Like Scott says, there was time as the Mustang started to drift over to the left that the box driver could have let it breath a bit, especially in a mixed class group where you may not know all of the drivers. Bad move on the mustang drivers part no doubt, but better to give it up rather than end up bent. Not worth on insisting on keeping my line, just not worth it.
I agree with you both on this one. I would have backed off as well but it's still the Mustang's fault.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 09-17-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:15 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

As others have said, stupid move on Mustang's part cutting back over. And if I'd been in the camera car, I'd have wanted to lift sooner as a hedge to take care of my own ***.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 922 Posts

What others have said but beyond that who pulls this kind of crap in qualifying?? Looked like the Boxster driver impacted the flag station barriers. Frightening.

Last edited by Nizer; 09-17-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders

^^THIS^^

Quick Reply: Incident at VIR: Who's at fault?