Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why you should ALWAYS wear all your safety gear...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 10:08 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 550 Likes on 289 Posts
Default This is why you should ALWAYS wear all your safety gear...

This is primarily aimed at the HPDE and/or trackday driver, those that think shorts, t-shirts and just a helmet are OK to go blasting around on a track.
This is also the video of why I was not competing in the Summit Point PCA Club Race - a bunch of you that were there on not on the test day have asked what happened.

First....I'm fine (physically). But Papa Smurf is not. Those that followed our build know we put A LOT of time, effort and money into getting this car exactly as we wanted. I'm actually in tears every time I look at it (so its under a cover at the moment). We're still not sure if its fixable...we'll see at some point.

But the reason for this post is to point out the potential dangers we all face while on track. This was a test day - not a race, not wheel to wheel, I was not even overdriving the car.
The throttle stuck. T5-6 at Summit - Out of T5, quick full throttle, quick brake...except the throttle stayed and overpowered the brakes. Result? About 1 sec later I hit the wall. Not much time to react or do anything like hit the kill switch or anything. 1 sec.
It can happen to anyone at anytime at the blink of an eye. And if you notice, I only hit the wall at 50 mph. What if it was 100? or 150? (ok, Papa doesn't do 150 but you get the point). How much worse would it have been? Much.

I wear full gear whether in a DE or in a race. Doesn't matter. And we equipped Papa Smurf with all the best gear that we carry.
Schroth harness
Cobra Seat
Lifeline Fire System (happy it wasn't needed)
Carbotech Brakes (that locked up fine and scrubbed 20 mph in that 1 second)
HANS
ROUX Helmet
And my AiM system that allowed us to see what happened, when and how...with the video to confirm (though we don't know exactly WHY the throttle stuck)

And we had a great cage built by our local guys here Skin & Bones Performance.

Wear your gear and spend the money to make your car safe. Stay safe out there..

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following users liked this post:
KevinGross (09-30-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 10:13 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And for those watching the throttle and brake bars...we just recently got the ECU to talk to the AiM, and installed a brake sensor. One thing we wanted to work on this weekend was a bit more linear representation on the graphics. Just a SLIGHT breathe off the throttle drops it to 50%, and the brake doesn't always go to full. All just need to be calibrated a bit... But again, you get the picture...
Old 09-28-2020, 10:53 AM
poison123
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Ya I don't think anyone's reaction time or instinct is good enough to have avoided that one.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:57 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow, glad you're ok, and really sorry to see the car in that condition.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Sadly, I saw your car at Summit Point and was surprised by the amount of damage for where you went off. It just proves the point that you need to be wearing your safety gear at all times. Your 914 was a beautiful car and sorry to see what happened.

I always wear my firesuit and all my safety gear at DEs. If someone says something I always say "fire doesn't know its only a DE".

The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
NaroEscape (09-30-2020), paradocs98 (09-29-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 11:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Sadly, I saw your car at Summit Point and was surprised by the amount of damage for where you went off.
One row of tires fronting dirt embankment. Not much thought for safety by track owners IMO. Thankfully he didn't make it into the trees.

OP: glad to hear you walked away unhurt.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:24 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 417 Posts

I also always wear my gear. I figure it is stupid to have it and not use it. Besides I have seen street cars catch on fire and getting out of my Crock with roll bar, race seat, harness, Hans, and removable steering wheel isn’t fast.

Sorry to see Papa hurt I have always admired your car as it looks awesome.

Peter
Old 09-28-2020, 11:27 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
One row of tires fronting dirt embankment. Not much thought for safety by track owners IMO. Thankfully he didn't make it into the trees.

I love Summit Point and fully acknowledge that there's inherent risk in this sport, but this was one of three incidents that happened last weekend that made me think a bit...and that's not even including what I've seen in the past.

Glad you're OK, Bob
Old 09-28-2020, 11:29 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
I love Summit Point and fully acknowledge that there's inherent risk in this sport, but this was one of three incidents that happened last weekend that made me think a bit...and that's not even including what I've seen in the past.

Glad you're OK, Bob
I agree with all the above. While the track has made improvements over the years I do think Summit Point is the Nurburgring of WV. I've seen a lot of really bad wrecks at SP.
The following users liked this post:
zedcat (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 11:36 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

It pained me to see Papa Smurf in that condition but the tire wall did it's job pretty well. There isn't all that much in the nose of a 914 to resist a hit like that. I shudder to think what it would look like if that was guard rail there. Now the incident before 10 was scary as hell. I've never seen a car go through the spectator fence before (the exhaust bounced off my truck) but the driver is very lucky to be alive after two 1 x 6s went over and under the windshield and narrowly missed him.

Last edited by sbelles; 09-28-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:38 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah, the dirt mound just behind the tires is what probably caused most of the real damage. Kinda wish they had more tires. I was ALMOST in the woods...front wheels were hanging off the back side of the mound, and I brought back a lot of Summit Point vegetation with me...

Last edited by NaroEscape; 09-28-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:58 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Ouch! Sorry Bob.

Hope you get her back together again.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:03 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Bob,

Sorry that happened to PS. Much more importantly, glad to know you're ok.

Matt
Old 09-28-2020, 12:57 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Crap Bob, sorry to see. I was flagging Sat & Sun and was expecting to see Papa Smurf...
Old 09-28-2020, 01:15 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Joe Satriani's Cryin' is a nice touch for the outro music.

Glad you're OK.

Quick Reply: This is why you should ALWAYS wear all your safety gear...