Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enduro Harness: Sabelt vs Schroth vs Other?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 04:48 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

I've had Schroths for years and loved them, but had the Sabelt in my last car and it was even better. In particular, the Scroth enduro belts can slip a little where Sabelt does not. Perhaps more importantly, the Sabelt distributor for NA is located here in S Florida and they offer unmatched customer service before and after the sale.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:25 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

love my sabelts and have a car with schroth as well. next set i need will be the sabelts. (enduro belts in both cases)

pull down FTW.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:49 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like I am going to need new belts for next season. Have been using Schroth for years and would consider trying Sabelt harnesses. Is the (mounting) hardware compatible? I assume the sub belts get wrapped around the sub bar.......the lap belts, do they have clip on devices, or does the mounting hardware change? Again, I assume the shoulder belts wrap around the roll bar just like Schroth....... any other consideration I should take into acount? Thankx, in advance for any help.

R\
Scott
Old 11-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info folks.
I looked at the Sabelt in person over the weekend at the VIR pro shop TMI and the quality does, in fact, appear to be better than the Schroth. Meaning softer mesh/stitching and nicer camlock.
The main selling point for me is the option for pull-up and the softness and ease of the highly visible yellow finger-loops.
Hopefully my vendor will allow the swap.

Last edited by Dr911; 11-02-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:04 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Sabelt harness mounting

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup
Looks like I am going to need new belts for next season. Have been using Schroth for years and would consider trying Sabelt harnesses. Is the (mounting) hardware compatible? I assume the sub belts get wrapped around the sub bar.......the lap belts, do they have clip on devices, or does the mounting hardware change? Again, I assume the shoulder belts wrap around the roll bar just like Schroth....... any other consideration I should take into acount? Thankx, in advance for any help.

R\
Scott

Sabelts come with snap-in ends on all 6 points. You can unwrap the hardware and wrap around a bar.

Sabelt Harnesses

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 10-18-2022, 03:10 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

This thread is not too old to revive since the FIA standard has not been updated....

I have to replace my harness for the next race season so I am diligently researching the various brands. I have used the Schroth Endurance belts for the last 5 seasons and I generally like them except they tend to slip when you are pulling them tight unless you have a hand free and can push down on the friction mechanism on the adjusters.

Along with the Schroth Enduro 2x2, I am looking primarily at the Sabelt Enduro Silver harness. I am not doing any racing where we need quick drivers changes so I don't really need an "Enduro" harness.

The Sabelt line doesn't really include a non-Enduro harness I would buy instead so that is the only Sabelt harness I am considering (I can't see any reason to consider the Gold or Platinum versions). The Schroth Flexi 2x2 looks to be quite similar to the Schroth Enduro 2x2. I might miss the cam lock with the latch guides as I put my helmet on before I put my belts on. But I can't imagine that being a big deal. The price is quite a bit cheaper than its Enduro brother.

The Sabelt and the Schroth Flexi 2x2 allow for both pull up or pull down lap belts. When I am by myself putting my belts on, I would think that the pull setup would be better. But, I have never tried pull up lap belts. What is the reality?

Then there is a relative newcomer in the Lifeline Copse harness. Anyone use that harness? What do you think of it? Unless this harness is compelling for some reason, I am more likely to stick with Sabelt or Schroth.

If I had to buy today, I would get the Sabelt. Any information that would educate me and improve my decision making process is welcome!
Old 10-18-2022, 07:31 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 278 Likes on 134 Posts

I like the Schroth's but I have a new favorite belt.

I tried a pair of the G-Force enduro's in my Boxster Champcar and to be honest they're better than the Scroth's. The large pull handles on the belts make them much easier to adjust. The lap belts pull up. 2" belt material is easier to fit over you hans device in a driver change. Also, the G-force's have make it easy to instal surgical tubing so the belts spring open and out of the way for fast driver changes.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook

Last edited by RennPart; 10-18-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:50 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

I switched from schroths to sabelts in both my cars and the sabelts are light years better. They are the only harnesses that I have had that I can actually tighten the laps easily by my self while strapped in. I run the very narrow recaro and the sabelts have the adjuster right on the buckle so it's not wedged into the seat and is really easily accessible. The adjusters have a spring loaded release, no slip but easy to tighten or loosen.

They are WAY better than schroths and cheaper as well. I thought the safecrafts I went to were a step up from the schroths, but the sabelts are much better yet.

Regarding pull up vs down, pull up seems like it should be better but I always had clearance issues since I am reasonay tall and need to run the seat pretty far back. The pull downs with the adjuster stitched right at the buckle is best for me. Depends on the car though.

Last edited by claykos; 10-18-2022 at 08:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by claykos:
Matt Romanowski (10-18-2022), winders (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 01:14 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
Hey Clark,
Does the Sabelt include a little loop for elastic bands on the shoulder belts like the Schroth?
The sabelt enduro model has these features.
  • Velcro patches on shoulder straps secure loose ends
  • Comms/hydration routing on shoulder belts keep lines secure
Old 10-18-2022, 02:21 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
I switched from schroths to sabelts in both my cars and the sabelts are light years better. They are the only harnesses that I have had that I can actually tighten the laps easily by my self while strapped in. I run the very narrow recaro and the sabelts have the adjuster right on the buckle so it's not wedged into the seat and is really easily accessible. The adjusters have a spring loaded release, no slip but easy to tighten or loosen.

They are WAY better than schroths and cheaper as well. I thought the safecrafts I went to were a step up from the schroths, but the sabelts are much better yet.

Regarding pull up vs down, pull up seems like it should be better but I always had clearance issues since I am reasonay tall and need to run the seat pretty far back. The pull downs with the adjuster stitched right at the buckle is best for me. Depends on the car though.
Thanks for the feedback! I am 6' 3" with long legs so my seat is far back as well. I guess the best idea is to get a harness set that allows both pull up and pull down. I like the way Sabelt does it so the pull down set has the adjuster right at the cam lock.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:30 PM
afilsinger
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
This thread is not too old to revive since the FIA standard has not been updated....

I have to replace my harness for the next race season so I am diligently researching the various brands. I have used the Schroth Endurance belts for the last 5 seasons and I generally like them except they tend to slip when you are pulling them tight unless you have a hand free and can push down on the friction mechanism on the adjusters.

If I had to buy today, I would get the Sabelt. Any information that would educate me and improve my decision making process is welcome!
I initially had Schroth enduro harnesses in my 944spec/lemons car, and when it came time to put harnesses in our 997 Cup we got sabelts. They were significantly better in every way, and I ended up dumping the schroths in the 944 for sabelts, as well as in my spec boxster. The Sabelts don't loosen on me throughout my stint, they are easier to adjust in both directions while in the seat, and the velcro is a game changer for keeping the shoulder belts where I want them when getting into and out of the car. No more fishing behind your back for your shoulder belts. Their camlock feels nicer to me as well. I run 2x2 in all our cars, with pull down adjusters on the laps. the pull up lap belts get caught on the side of the seat, and get caught on the center tunnel and are almost impossible to adjust while suited up in the race seat.
The following users liked this post:
winders (10-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 02:41 PM
Wheelman_99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't bother with the flexi and don't do pull up if endurance racing. It seems like a good idea, but the adjusters often end up hard to access, especially for the driver.

The Sabelts are great, their top enduro belt even has an inside grippy part that helps grab the HNR and is a different color, so you know quickly if your belts are flipped.

Racequip has the most affordable enduro option, though they don't loudly market it as such. It is very similar to the Schroth but about half the price. I get mine from Bob Zecca at Driving Impressions.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:28 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I will deal with my Schroth for a few more years, but I tried rigging the lap belts for both pull up and pull down and NEITHER allowed me to tighten
the belt while seated. It's just too difficult to get to the strap and pull with enough force. I ended up leaving them tight (don't loosen
when getting out of the car) and pulling my gut in to plug in the lap belts. Will try the Sabelt next time, thanks!
Old 12-20-2022, 02:45 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

one of the best features on the Sabelt is the velcro on the shoulder straps that allow you to stick them to the headrest of the seat, makes climbing in the next time easier
Old 12-20-2022, 07:18 AM
wellcoached
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Planning to try Lifeline Copse , looks promising.

Quick Reply: Enduro Harness: Sabelt vs Schroth vs Other?