Seeking opinions on Formula Mazda

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George,

I do not have a racing license yet, and have done the Skip Barber 3-day racing school. So, if I understand correctly, I either need an SCCA school, or the 2-day Skippy adv. racing school to qualify for a novice permit. If your marathon plans allow you to attend the January SCCA school, please let me know. Maybe, I'll use it as an excuse to return to my home state for a visit (I did my B.S. in electrical engr at UT Austin and my M.D. at Baylor in Houston).
Old 11-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, if you turn up here I'll come harass you at the track Sat & Sun! Too back we don't drove in the same class
Old 11-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robert,

If I buy an FM, I'll let you drove my car if I can drove your SRF.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:20 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the Sports Racer kit for the Formula Mazda that turns it into a CSR? I imagine those aren't real competitive in SCCA but I was wondering how far behind they are.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:41 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anir
George,

I do not have a racing license yet, and have done the Skip Barber 3-day racing school. So, if I understand correctly, I either need an SCCA school, or the 2-day Skippy adv. racing school to qualify for a novice permit. If your marathon plans allow you to attend the January SCCA school, please let me know. Maybe, I'll use it as an excuse to return to my home state for a visit (I did my B.S. in electrical engr at UT Austin and my M.D. at Baylor in Houston).
Actaully, I am pretty sure that the 3 day qualifies you for a Regional license. OTOH, Skippy does not really prepare you for racing like an SCCA school does. You might consider getting the license via Skippy but taking at least one day of SCCA school to get some W-2-W experience.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:43 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pig4bill
What about the Sports Racer kit for the Formula Mazda that turns it into a CSR? I imagine those aren't real competitive in SCCA but I was wondering how far behind they are.
CSR is all over the map. The fastest CSRs are converted FA's and they are very fast. Just behind those are the Stohr CSR's. Then there are a bunch of Radicals and various other things. (Also up at the front are some of the Beasley conversions.) The FM conversions are faster than most of the Radicals. They won't wind the runoffs but they can win some National races and maybe a top 5 at the run offs.

Great choice for the price in CSR. BUT - CSR is again going on probation for missing the numbers.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Geo
Race Director

George,

I will let you know for sure as soon as I know the date of the school. I have two other people I hope to help at the school. Schools really require some help in the paddock because they keep you busy all day long. You'll be beat by the end of the day. You'll get at least 4.5 hours of track time with barely enough time for lunch and a pee in between.

I'm going to go to the SCCA member party next week and I'll try to get the date of the school. They aren't on the regional on-line calendar unfortunately.

I'm really hoping this doesn't conflict with the marathon. I really owe my business partner because he has crewed for me for every school and every race I've been do. But I've got too much time, effort, sweat, and tears tied up in the marathon to pass it up now.

Oh, and your Skippy school should count for your 2 days of SCCA school, thus allowing you to compete with your novice permit. However, as already recommended, take at least one day of SCCA school. It's different from DE or commercial racing schools, but it's quite helpful and you get a buttload of seat time.

Hope to see you in January.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, are you going to be the loser on that deal. You're on!

Robert,

If I buy an FM, I'll let you drove my car if I can drove your SRF.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:52 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
The FM conversions are faster than most of the Radicals. They won't wind the runoffs but they can win some National races and maybe a top 5 at the run offs.

Great choice for the price in CSR. BUT - CSR is again going on probation for missing the numbers.
That's much faster than I thought. Plus, they are built like tanks, relatively speaking and maintenance is cheap compared to most formula/sports racers. Even if the SCCA ranks are thin, it sounds like it would make a heck of a track day car for a lot less money than a Radical. And a Radical won the OTC a couple years ago.

Or rather, 3 Radicals won it.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice, Mark and George. I'll submit the Novice Permit app, and do at least one SCCA school.

Quick Reply: Seeking opinions on Formula Mazda