Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miami Formula One Race not dead yet

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 01:11 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

In my view, experience, and observation, making racism an issue with regards to every matter, especially when racism is not a legitimate issue, only serves to increase racism.

I don't understand this.....

Originally Posted by PLNewman
According to the Miami Herald, opponents are seeking a “permanent injunction that bars the race, financial restitution, a judicial order declaring that racial discrimination and constitutional rights violations occurred, and a declaration that county and city noise ordinances would be violated if the race were to happen”.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-...21-miami-race/

The newspaper quotes claimant Betty Ferguson, former Miami-Dade County commissioner and activist, as stating a race would be “not only outrageous, but disrespectful to a predominantly African-American community”. She is reported to have written in her complaint: “I will not be able to enjoy sitting on my patio without wearing ear plugs and worrying about my blood pressure rising because of the noise.”
How can you allege rights violations and demand restitution for an event that has not occurred? Further, Lewis Hamilton, a black man (or apparently more importantly, identifies as such) is arguably the most successful and highest paid driver of all time and globally recognized as such. It would be a travesty to expose the (black) community to a figure like this. Disrespectful indeed. I would love to hear his thoughts on this controversy.

Finally, anyone who has been in Miami especially in the South Beach area knows what it's like there on Memorial Day Weekend aka Urban Beach Week. It's a total **** show and the noise and traffic is beyond compare. It takes 3 hours to travel the same distance that would normally take 10-15 mins. I can personally attest to the extreme inconvenience and displeasure that event causes.

I'm sure any and every argument and allegation made regarding the F1 race could be levied against this event on behalf of all the non-black population of the area and it would be far more apropros.

This is total hypocrisy. Don't make a race about race!
Old 01-16-2021, 01:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,384 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
In my view, experience, and observation, making racism an issue with regards to every matter, especially when racism is not a legitimate issue, only serves to increase racism.
You just summed up why this issue just isn't going away. It is sad that we can't concentrate on real racism but instead use it as an excuse and reason for every problem going on in the world.

Wanting to hold an F1 race has NOTHING to do with racism.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:20 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
You just summed up why this issue just isn't going away. It is sad that we can't concentrate on real racism but instead use it as an excuse and reason for every problem going on in the world.

Wanting to hold an F1 race has NOTHING to do with racism.
Maybe change a rule to make sure no cars are allowed to be black in color?

Total joke. Total hypocrisy.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:41 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

The Hard Rock Stadium property borders Miami Gardens, an incorporated city with a population of 110,000, making it the largest city in Florida with a majority African American population.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:08 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
The Hard Rock Stadium property borders Miami Gardens, an incorporated city with a population of 110,000, making it the largest city in Florida with a majority African American population.

They should just pick another venue. Hell they should move it to Sebring or Road Atlanta.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:13 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
They should just pick another venue. Hell they should move it to Sebring or Road Atlanta.
I'd be all over that. It'll never happen though. As it turns out, actual race tracks are often not suitable for F1 races.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stownsen914
I'd be all over that. It'll never happen though. As it turns out, actual race tracks are often not suitable for F1 races.
F1 at Sebring. Bumpity bump bump bump.....
Old 01-21-2021, 06:57 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I just retrieved the lawsuit complaint - will try to figure out how to upload a pdf. Defendants have received permission form the court to file a motion to dismiss in excess of 30 pages.

Can I post a pdf? Tell me how!
Old 01-21-2021, 07:00 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Copy of F1 Lawsuit Complaint - PDF

Here is a Copy of F1 Lawsuit Complaint
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1.pdf (1.23 MB, 76 views)
Old 01-21-2021, 07:48 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good grief... 96 pages!!!
Old 01-21-2021, 07:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I don’t think I spend enough time in the bathroom to read all of that......
The following users liked this post:
multi21 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 11:08 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,384 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Sorry, but this lawsuit is an even lower level of BS than I thought it would be. Complaining about traffic and noise, when you live in Miami, next to the Hard Rock and Dolphin's stadium, is ridiculous. In regards to access to ambulances the city can easily station ambulances around the city and make provisions for this.

The lawsuit is even more clearly a shakedown as it has almost no merit and no real causes of action. Screaming "racism" is not a cause of action because you don't like something. They should have lead with age discrimination instead of race.

At the trial level they will have a problem because all the judges are elected and want to get re-elected so they will rule for the plaintiffs. But once it is appealed that is where politics matter less and the law matters more.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:11 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Sorry, but this lawsuit is an even lower level of BS than I thought it would be. Complaining about traffic and noise, when you live in Miami, next to the Hard Rock and Dolphin's stadium, is ridiculous. In regards to access to ambulances the city can easily station ambulances around the city and make provisions for this.

The lawsuit is even more clearly a shakedown as it has almost no merit and no real causes of action. Screaming "racism" is not a cause of action because you don't like something. They should have lead with age discrimination instead of race.

At the trial level they will have a problem because all the judges are elected and want to get re-elected so they will rule for the plaintiffs. But once it is appealed that is where politics matter less and the law matters more.
Topic (and) Spencer related....

Nothin' shakin' on shakedown street, used to be the heart of town
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart, you just gotta poke around....
Old 01-22-2021, 11:35 AM
Robert Nixon
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

It seems like every time a Miami race has come up for the past few years that the locals don't want it. As much as I'd love to see another race in the USA, I don't see this one happening.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:38 PM
amurph182
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Not sure how you guys can so casually dismiss the idea that there's a racial angle here. Race was originally going to be downtown, the downtown community didn't want it and voiced opposition so it was dropped. Then they decided to have it at the stadium, the affected community voiced some pretty strong dissent along with the local council, but now for some reason everyone is pushing like hell to make it happen including the Mayor who recused himself from the debate when it was going to be downtown because of family connections to the event, but now for some reason decides to get right back into things and push it forward. Downtown is almost 90% not-black, Miami Gardens is 73% black (from the lawsuit). Is it more likely that this is about the different economic and political influence that the two communities have? Probably. But if those lines also tend to align with racial demographics then I don't see how you can just outright dismiss the argument.

As far as the "positive economic impact" that the event will have, the Baltimore GP was a compete boondoggle in that regard. Yeah, Indy Car and F1 aren't the same thing but there's a pretty lengthy history of organizers and promoters waaaaay over promising on the impact of their events in order to secure support from the city.

Quick Reply: Miami Formula One Race not dead yet