Sponsored by:

Cable Throttle and Pedal Travel

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 07:08 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts
Default Cable Throttle and Pedal Travel

On my air-cooled Porsche 911 race car, I am switching from the old Porsche rod linkages with a bunch of bell cranks to a cable setup. The cable setup on my ITBs has a nice progressive curve so the butterflies open a little more slowly for the first part of the travel and speeds up as the butterflies open more. I can adjust the amount of pedal travel by raising or lowering the point on the throttle pedal to which the cable attaches.

For a 400+ HP engine, with a broad and flat torque curve, in a light (2250 lbs with driver) car, what amount of throttle pedal travel should I be looking to achieve? I know this is going to vary from driver to driver and car to car. I am looking for range to start with. Is it 2.5" plus or minus? 3"? 2"?
Old 01-15-2021, 12:49 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our race car throttle travel is 2.75" - - 964 3.6/3.8L with stock 964 Intake - - I think we get to Redline in 1.5 to 2.0" - - this with the Patrick throttle cable conversion and 1978 911SC stock pedal cluster . . .
Hope this helps . . .

Regards,
Roy T
Crew Chief for Son's 911 race car

Originally Posted by winders
On my air-cooled Porsche 911 race car, I am switching from the old Porsche rod linkages with a bunch of bell cranks to a cable setup. The cable setup on my ITBs has a nice progressive curve so the butterflies open a little more slowly for the first part of the travel and speeds up as the butterflies open more. I can adjust the amount of pedal travel by raising or lowering the point on the throttle pedal to which the cable attaches.

For a 400+ HP engine, with a broad and flat torque curve, in a light (2250 lbs with driver) car, what amount of throttle pedal travel should I be looking to achieve? I know this is going to vary from driver to driver and car to car. I am looking for range to start with. Is it 2.5" plus or minus? 3"? 2"?
Old 01-15-2021, 01:03 PM
winders
Race Car

Yes, it does! Thanks!
Old 01-15-2021, 04:02 PM
winders
Race Car

How much throttle pedal travel is there on recent Cup Cars?
Old 01-17-2021, 12:14 AM
winders
Race Car

No one here has a recent model Cup Car in their garage? Are all the Cup Car guys “arrive and drive” types that don’t have their cars at home?

Quick Reply: Cable Throttle and Pedal Travel