Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 02:55 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Schuberth Helmets at Apex Performance

We now have Schuberth helmets available in various sizes, extra cheekpads to customize fit, electronics, and more. Stop in or call us to learn more about these awesome helmets!

Schuberth SA2020 Helmets

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 02-08-2021, 05:21 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw them at COTA back in November. Impressed with the quality.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:30 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Interesting. How does their carbon helmet compare to the Stilo carbon?
Old 02-09-2021, 06:50 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 70 Posts

I just saw that you offered a 10% discount, and promptly ordered an Arai GP-7 from you. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:14 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I plan to do a comparison in a few days when I get time - will compare weights, price, features, etc. With the Stilo price increase, the Schuberth will be less expensive and lighter weight I think. Stay tuned!

Linda
Old 02-10-2021, 05:26 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
I plan to do a comparison in a few days when I get time - will compare weights, price, features, etc. With the Stilo price increase, the Schuberth will be less expensive and lighter weight I think. Stay tuned!

Linda
Hi, Linda - If you can take some pics of the integrated electronics option, I'd very interested to see how that stacks up against Stilo. I need a new helmet ASAP, so the timing is perfect!
The following users liked this post:
Jeff951NJ (02-11-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 03:36 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Schuberth vs Stilo

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Hi, Linda - If you can take some pics of the integrated electronics option, I'd very interested to see how that stacks up against Stilo. I need a new helmet ASAP, so the timing is perfect!
This info is based on the Schuberth L+ 60/61 carbon fiber (MSRP $1949) and the Stilo L+ 60 carbon fiber (MSRP $1979 effective 3/1/21) SA2020 models.

Weight on both: 3.2 lbs.

Shell sizes - the Schuberth appears to be more aerodynamic in design and not a big bubble sitting on your head.

Fitment: The Schuberth cheekpads are made of acoustic foam to keep sound out and are higher density. They are quite aggressive so I would recommend going down a size on the cheekpads. We can swap those out for you on request before shipping your helmet or you can exchange the cheekpads for thinner ones. Since these are so new in the US, they may tweek the cheekpad fitment in the future but testing to see overall response first. The crown area is way more forgiving on the Schuberth and will fit many more head shapes (bonus!!). Don't let the snug cheekpads fool you. That's how a helmet is supposed to fit.

Electronics: The Stilo has the nice clean female plug outside of the helmet - your choice of left or right side. However, we have had issues where the nut was not tightened enough or loosened after use and falls off. Once that nut falls off, you have to purchase a whole new electronics kit. Stilo does not sell just the nut. Schuberth is the traditional coiled plug that extends outside the helmet. The cable is secured onto the chin bar mount hardware so it cannot be pulled out though. You get your choice of IMSA or NASCAR plugs on these. We plan to stock mostly IMSA kits left side install but can do special order. The muffs on the Stilo are a little more aggressive/thicker than the Schuberth. The vinyl on the Schuberth earmuffs are a little softer and the shape of the muffs is more triangular to fit around the ear. Schuberth offers various mic kit setups but we plan to stock the integrated mic installation where all cabling is neatly tucked under the liner and out of site. Earbud connection and boom mic options are available upon request.

Schuberth electronics plug - secured to the chin strap hardware inside the shell. Can use velcro to attach the plug end behind or on top of the helmet when not in use.

Shields: Both brands have the pull tab on the front of the shield. The Schuberth shields have an awesome feature - they have a dual close option. When closing the shield, the first click leaves a small space between the helmet shell and the shield allowing air to flow in but the shield is locked. Pushing the tab down the entire way seals the shield onto the shell. Schuberth has an anti-scratch coating and can be cleaned with just water and a microfiber cloth. Stilo includes a clear shield. Schuberth comes with a standard clear red visor. The slight 3% red tint brightens up everything and helps make the glare less. Similar to a polarized pair of ski goggles but doesn’t hinder reading your gages, dash etc. Shields in clear and other tinted and mirrored finishes are available. Shield heights on both at the center are 3".

Schuberth shield in the second closed/sealed position.

Schuberth shield in the first closed position with the shield slightly open.

Both models carry Snell SA2020 and FIA 8859 certifications.

Hoping once folks get Schuberths in and do lid tests, they will see how very nice these new helmets fit!

Last edited by ApexPerformance; 02-15-2021 at 01:46 PM. Reason: clarification on helmet shields
The following 5 users liked this post by ApexPerformance:
Estoril (10-19-2022), Jeff951NJ (02-12-2021), NaroEscape (02-13-2021), ProCoach (10-19-2022), wellcoached (10-19-2022)
Old 02-15-2021, 01:47 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Schuberth Standard Helmet Shield

Made a slight correction to the Schuberth helmet shield description - The standard clear red visor that ships on the helmet is still a clear. The slight 3% red tint brightens up everything and helps make the glare less. Similar to a polarized pair of ski goggles but doesn’t hinder reading your gages, dash etc.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:30 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received my new Schuberth lid from Linda yesterday and I'm pretty excited. I've been quite happy with my Stilo and figured I would just buy another ...

But I'm glad I waited!

The finish on Schuberth is very, very nice - but then again, so is the Stilo. The overall shape of the Schuberth is much less cumbersome and it features more - and larger - vents.

I was originally drawn to Stilo because of the "cleanness" of the electronics, but over the past five years I've had multiple failed wires and a lost lock-nut (for the female port) that took months to get from the distributor. The Schuberth has a similar mic/speaker setup, that route: nicely into the helmet shell - without the complexity of the extra wire. (If I was looking for something to nit pick, they could perhaps improve the exit routing for the plug, ever so slightly).

While the Schuberth is physically smaller, the fit feels very similar (both are 57cm). Trying it on, I was reminded just how much helmets break-in; I can't fathom someone keeping a helmet for 10 years! Something interesting: it's much harder to hear people when wearing the Schuberth - perhaps the foam is better insulting, or maybe it's just the tighter fit? But after reading studies about mental fatigue from noise, this feels like a benefit. The visor is very, very nice - quite robust in feel. The red mirror finish on the stock clear glass is pretty trick, and the ability to keep the visor cracked - but still secured - is very nice.

All in, it feels like an easy win for the Schuberth. Thanks a million to Linda for all her help; she's hit home runs on my last two helmets!
The following 3 users liked this post by Jas0nn:
Jeff951NJ (02-22-2021), ProCoach (10-19-2022), wellcoached (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 06:33 PM
wellcoached
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Comms comparison

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Received my new Schuberth lid from Linda yesterday and I'm pretty excited. I've been quite happy with my Stilo and figured I would just buy another ...

But I'm glad I waited!

The finish on Schuberth is very, very nice - but then again, so is the Stilo. The overall shape of the Schuberth is much less cumbersome and it features more - and larger - vents.

I was originally drawn to Stilo because of the "cleanness" of the electronics, but over the past five years I've had multiple failed wires and a lost lock-nut (for the female port) that took months to get from the distributor. The Schuberth has a similar mic/speaker setup, that route: nicely into the helmet shell - without the complexity of the extra wire. (If I was looking for something to nit pick, they could perhaps improve the exit routing for the plug, ever so slightly).

While the Schuberth is physically smaller, the fit feels very similar (both are 57cm). Trying it on, I was reminded just how much helmets break-in; I can't fathom someone keeping a helmet for 10 years! Something interesting: it's much harder to hear people when wearing the Schuberth - perhaps the foam is better insulting, or maybe it's just the tighter fit? But after reading studies about mental fatigue from noise, this feels like a benefit. The visor is very, very nice - quite robust in feel. The red mirror finish on the stock clear glass is pretty trick, and the ability to keep the visor cracked - but still secured - is very nice.

All in, it feels like an easy win for the Schuberth. Thanks a million to Linda for all her help; she's hit home runs on my last two helmets!

Jason , since you have had both , How would you compare the comms quality Stilo v Schuberth ? I know you said Schuberth was quieter . How about clarity , volume or any other noticable differences ? Ear cup fit /comfort ..Thanks
Sam

993944S2 (10-21-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 07:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 781 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcoached
Jason , since you have had both , How would you compare the comms quality Stilo v Schuberth ? I know you said Schuberth was quieter . How about clarity , volume or any other noticable differences ? Ear cup fit /comfort ..Thanks
Sam
From someone who is on the other end of the radio from a Schuberth helmet, the radio quality is way better on the Schuberth than the Stilo.
wellcoached (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 08:23 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Originally Posted by wellcoached
Sam

I'd be lying if I said I can appreciate any difference between the two. I can say, however, that the Schuberth always works - zero issues over the last two seasons. I found the Stilo to be a lot more temperamental, and there were several times where comms didn't work for one reason or another.

If I bought a new helmet tomorrow, I would look at Schuberth first. Perhaps that says something ...
wellcoached (10-19-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 04:14 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

What forced air options are available (side and or top) for the Schuberth.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Love my Schuberth!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

wellcoached (10-21-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 10:19 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by zip465
What forced air options are available (side and or top) for the Schuberth.
Calling Clark and Linda would get you the answer fastest instead of waiting on a forum reply.

Quick Reply: Schuberth Helmets at Apex Performance