Sponsored by:

James Garner in Grand Prix (1966)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 04:39 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Loved "Racing Scene" but it does make me feel old as I remember a lot of those races and especially F5000 etc having started going to Road America in the summer of 1967... thanks for posting as I'd never seen that before.
Ski

That's the year I started making my way up Hwy 57 to Elkhart. My dad had just bought a new Alfa GTV.
I was hooked.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:25 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Actors, Comedians, Musicians, Olympic Gold Medalists who raced

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Surprised Patrick Dempsey is the only other actor in recent memory who has gotten involved in racing in a serious way.
Uh, Tom Cruise (SCCA), Michael Fassbender (Ferrari Challenge and European Le Mans Series),Tim Allen (Saleen Mustang), Gene Hackman (SCCA Formula Ford), Craig T. Nelson (IMSA), AC/DC's Brian Johnson (HSR/SVRA), Paul Walker (Pirelli World Challenge Series), Jason Priestly (IMSA and Firestone Indy Lights), actor Eric Bana (Porsche Cup), Matt LeBlanc, Frankie 'Malcolm In The Middle' Muniz, and, of course, Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner (IMSA class winner at 12 Hours of Sebring).

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...ace-car-driver

Old 04-05-2021, 06:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Uh, Tom Cruise (SCCA), Michael Fassbender (Ferrari Challenge and European Le Mans Series),Tim Allen (Saleen Mustang), Gene Hackman (SCCA Formula Ford), Craig T. Nelson (IMSA), AC/DC's Brian Johnson (HSR/SVRA), Paul Walker (Pirelli World Challenge Series), Jason Priestly (IMSA and Firestone Indy Lights), actor Eric Bana (Porsche Cup), Matt LeBlanc, Frankie 'Malcolm In The Middle' Muniz, and, of course, Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner (IMSA class winner at 12 Hours of Sebring).

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...ace-car-driver
You didn't have to punish me with the Jenner picture. (Insert PDK/no-stick shift joke here)

I was unaware of Gene Hackman, Craig T. Nelson and Eric Bana.

I guess the point I was trying to make is none of the above has really made the same "splash" and commitment to the sport like the others I mentioned. That being said, I have been aware that Brian Johnson has been involved for many many years.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:09 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Eric Bana has an autobiographical style racing movie called "Love the Beast" that I watched a while back on Amazon Prime streaming. It was enjoyable, I think it starts out with some HPDE scenes in an air cooled 911. It has been awhile. I enjoyed the James Garner one probably a little more because I am a big Garner fan

Last edited by steved0x; 04-11-2021 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-11-2021, 05:53 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman

Grand Prix employed a number of professional drivers, including Graham Hill, Jack Brabham, Jackie Stewart, and Jöchen Rindt. Garner so effectively diced it up with these greats in the free-for-all that they reportedly remarked that he could have competed in Formula 1 – and at one point, Rindt had to abashedly admit that he couldn’t keep up to Garner during a filmed chase scene.
Don't forget Phil Hill.

Best part about Grand Prix (and Le Mans): no CGI!
Old 04-11-2021, 06:31 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't have to punish me with the Jenner picture. (Insert PDK/no-stick shift joke here)

I guess the point I was trying to make is none of the above has really made the same "splash" and commitment to the sport like the others I mentioned. That being said, I have been aware that Brian Johnson has been involved for many many years.
And, for us really "Oldies" how about Dicky Smothers . . . 906, 911, etc . . .
Dick Smothers (USA)'s cars - Photo Gallery - Racing Sports Cars

Regards,
Old 04-15-2021, 06:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Love this movie.. Fun fact. The used a cannon. to launch the cars off the track at Monza..
correct.
air cannon
also used at the Monaco crash site when Jim went swimming and Scott ate the cliff.

Quick Reply: James Garner in Grand Prix (1966)