Old Techniques for New Instructor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 11:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I'm still traumatized by the kissing your grandmother comment.
Still having trouble with that comment. I'd rather hit the armco than have an instructor make an analogy about kissing my grandmother.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:52 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
I have squeezed the right arm of a driver when sitting right seat, to convey the pressure, and that they aren't getting close to 7 or 8 pedal , by squeezing the bicep more and more.
I have also said try to break the pedal with your foot.
You remind me that a key point of instructing is getting in the student's head. When commands/instruction are not working, usually changing the method can work wonders.

I had a student who just couldn't be smooth with the brake and verbal commands were not cutting it. It was a high end P-car and the aggressive pedal movements where really "enhanced" by the car. Similar to your example, sitting right seat I held up my left fist near the center of the dashboard where my student could see it. I told him the more I pull my fist back, the more pressure he should put on the brake. I would instruct "roll on the brake", stick my fist up and pull it back. It was uncanny, within a few turns it was like I was pressing on the brake pedal directly with my fist. Add in using a "roll on the gas" verbal command with a vertical hand pressing down more forward for the gas and this student was finessing the pedals in no time.

If something is not working, change the approach. Everyone learns differently.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:55 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

There's a string connected between your pedals and your steering wheel -- the more you use one, the less you use the other.

While generally you either want to be on the gas or on the brakes -- the pedals are not on/off switches.

When you turn your wheel, the tires scrub speed. Your reward for a good turn is to get back on the power, don't waste that by not unwinding and scrubbing off all that speed you earned.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:48 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

1 word commands.
Good - "BRAKE!!!"
Bad - "You better use the brakes because I'm afraid to die."
Old 04-20-2021, 09:02 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,713 Posts

From a beginer on the track one of the best thing my instructor did last weekend was to make me call out the color of the flager station workers jacket. We didnt start that until the 3rd session as i was getting used to the track.

One of the biggest issues i have is tunnel vision and this really forced me to start using my perifial vision and pick up the important points on the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
matttheboatman (04-28-2021), ProCoach (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 10:16 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Have had some success with asking the student to narrate what they are going to / drive to next (BoB, curb, apex, track left, track right, etc.), helps them get ahead of the car and keep their eyes up and not target fixate.
The following users liked this post:
Veloce Raptor (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 12:19 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Something similar I do is what I call a "vision exercise" that typically spans 2-3 sessions. I do this with a student that I trust well enough, meaning they take instruction, are reasonably smooth, and have decent pedal/steering mechanics. I'll also use this with a more accomplished student who has let their vision drop. It is best to set this up before the sessions.

Session 1 - I instruct only by telling the student where to look. For example, starting in the middle of a long straight: Check flags, look at track in, scan to apex, look at track out, check 6, look down to next track in, check flags, scan to apex, look at track out, check 6, etc... I expect the student to tell me any flags they see and to decide braking, acceleration, and turn in points. I only give non-vision instruction to keep it safe.

If a student does session 1 well, I almost never have have to give any other instruction by enabling that automatic brain function that links vision to manipulating controls. The usual initial feedback from students is they can't believe how far ahead I want them to look. I find it amazing that I can make a student faster/safer without every saying words like smoother, GAS! GAS! GAS! or BRAKE! BRAKE! BRAKE!

Session 2 - I have them narrate to me only where they are looking, I only provide corrections for not looking far enough, or if they forget to look a something. I usually have to encourage them to look farther, but they already know the expectation from my vision commands from Session 1.

Session 3 - I tell the student "do it on your own, narrate if you wish, tell me all flags you see". As the session progresses I watch for a drop in vision and either have them start narrating or I will give vision commands. Usually any verbal I use on this session is positive encouragement as every time I've tried this exercise it has resulted in marked improvement on the part of the student.

Repeat as necessary. I find the exercise very effective at improving all sorts of skills - vision really is the key to everything.

Last edited by TXE36; 04-22-2021 at 12:20 AM.
Nickshu (04-28-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 06:53 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of good info here. I prefer simple, direct instructions as described in a number of the posts above. I am not a fan of all the tortured metaphors like kissing your grandmother, imagining an egg under the pedal or visualizing your car full of water like a bathtub. I’ve found that more often than not all the weird comparisons just confuse the student.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:23 AM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Sometimes upon introduction I'll use this one I stole when I sense that 'tude: "Don't try to impress me, you can't. Don't try to scare me, I already am."

When giving a student a check ride: "There are several ways you can impress me - they are all bad".

"Bend the car into the turn"

and of course "Eyes up!"
You said every one of those to me
Old 04-27-2021, 08:35 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

The vision exercise is pretty much what they do at the commercial autox school...Extremely effective. I tell students we need to formulate a plan on where to look as much as a plan for where to brake and turn.

ProCoach (04-29-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 11:44 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Only push the wheel up don’t pull it down (obviously you keep both hands on the wheel). But the left hand does the work in a right turn and vice versa

if they have trouble understanding the apex and run out have them run down a hallway (if you can find one) and around a corner to find the fastest line. Even imagining it will paint a picture.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:11 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
Only push the wheel up don’t pull it down (obviously you keep both hands on the wheel). But the left hand does the work in a right turn and vice versa.
I disagree with this, the hand that is pushing is more extended and can less precisely push against the wheel than the pulling hand which has more leverage against the wheel to make fine adjustments.
ProCoach (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:58 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,613 Posts

One item I didn't see covered yet is that I do not try to make someone change their line just because it is different from mine. I think many instructors try to teach their students what they do, instead of helping the student to do what they are already doing, but to do it better. I try to work with what the student is comfortable with already, so long as it is appropriate.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Nickshu (04-29-2021), ProCoach (04-29-2021), Veloce Raptor (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 11:43 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I Always teach the DE Line... Safer, late apex, slightly slower. the problem is when I take students for rides, or drive their car, I default to the faster line.

I also try to do a debrief with the student after the session with the track map, point out problems, and what to do next session to fix that. -before we both forget...

focus only 1 or 2 turns a session.

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 04-28-2021 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 766 Posts

One other thought: do not be afraid to assert control if things aren't going well or if you feel truly uncomfortable. Remember, your life is at stake here too, and your life is the most important one in the car. Be very clear, but not rude, if a student is over-driving the car or not listening or putting both of you in harms way or anything else.
The following 3 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
dgrobs (04-29-2021), mrbill_fl (05-02-2021), TXE36 (04-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Old Techniques for New Instructor