Sponsored by:

Car Number decals for DE/Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 10:56 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts
Default Car Number decals for DE/Track Days

We have a lot of people coming to the events without the numbers and then they have to use the typical blue tape to make a number....not very nice.
So here's the question....does anyone know of a place that could supply a reusable vinyl or static number kit that would allow us to pick and set the number trackside?
It will probably be a white rectangle (reusable vinyl or static cling) with the number in digital format so you can make your own or with several numbers. Once a number is assigned to a car it's permanent.
We have a sponsor thinking about this so a logo on the top could also happen.
Let me know if anyone knows of a source that could pull this off.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:59 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Great idea.

I use RaceGraphics, but there are lots of internet based companies offering decals race numbers including your local print and sign shop.

Logo idea and sponsor could be interesting.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:08 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
Great idea.

I use RaceGraphics, but there are lots of internet based companies offering decals race numbers including your local print and sign shop.

Logo idea and sponsor could be interesting.

Checked out RaceGrahics but will probably have to send them an e-mail as they don't offer (on their website) something reusable and that will allow us to pick the number at the track.
I know it may be a long shot the whole idea but it's doable...will also call a few local vinyl/graphic shops as we have to do +100 of these.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:55 AM
thewestwon
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

May be more work and/or cost than you're thinking and these are not super re-usable. To combat the number issue and avoid having to source and order decals, bought a Silhouette Cameo 4 ($300). Then you can order big rolls of Oracal permanent or temp vinyl from amazon at a relatively low cost. Takes all of about 60 seconds to cut all four numbers in a basic design for a car assuming you've got a laptop and power source to connect to. You could probably charge some nominal $5 fee or something and have costs recouped in short order.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:02 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thewestwon
May be more work and/or cost than you're thinking and these are not super re-usable. To combat the number issue and avoid having to source and order decals, bought a Silhouette Cameo 4 ($300). Then you can order big rolls of Oracal permanent or temp vinyl from amazon at a relatively low cost. Takes all of about 60 seconds to cut all four numbers in a basic design for a car assuming you've got a laptop and power source to connect to. You could probably charge some nominal $5 fee or something and have costs recouped in short order.

Thanks! You know...this could be an option. We would just need the Static cling or reusable vinyl background with the sponsor logo.
Since we will know the car number before the event we can do this during the week and juts take them to the track
Old 04-29-2021, 12:06 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I am not an expert but from my experience the numbers are not reuseable except the magnetic ones (more expensive, also require tape and don't stick to fiberglass or carbon fiber). If you have 4 events per year you could give them 4 sets of the vinyl stickers.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:08 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I am not an expert but from my experience the numbers are not reuseable except the magnetic ones (more expensive, also require tape and don't stick to fiberglass or carbon fiber). If you have 4 events per year you could give them 4 sets of the vinyl stickers.

Yes, magnetic wont work....I had very good experience with static cling material. You just add a strip of clear vinyl on the leading edge.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:12 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Check with Van Svenson who posts here and there occasionally. He does vinyl graphics.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:20 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

ezlettering.com
Old 04-29-2021, 04:48 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm a printer.
Trust me when I say don't get involved with this.
Any cheap substrate will be crap and using a home printer will be a nightmare.
Printing companies (actually sign companies) will charge a lot for next or same day service.
You want "Bob's Signs" logo on the side of your car?
I print them on paper and tape them to the inside of my back window.
The following users liked this post:
dan212 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,713 Posts

The store at clubregistration.net has a bunch if de number options. I bought the magnet ones but they did not stick on a cold day so i bought the reusable ones. They stayed on for one weekend so far. I have not tried to reapply yet.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:56 PM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Solo Performance (they have a dedicated retail website for just numbers autoxnumbers.com but given your spec you prob just want to reach out to them direct).

Their reusable vinyl numbers come off easily without any residue...you just have to be pretty patient, pulling slowly to avoid stretching / tearing.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:00 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

http://gochecker.com/changeable-numb...tic-cling-oval

Another option is buying drawer liner, making some templates out of cardboard, and tracing/cutting your own. Doing this for multiple people would be a PITA though.

Last edited by MattUF; 04-29-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:31 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MattUF
http://gochecker.com/changeable-numb...tic-cling-oval

Another option is buying drawer liner, making some templates out of cardboard, and tracing/cutting your own. Doing this for multiple people would be a PITA though.
They have a low tack (or used to) that works good.

I use Harris decals for vinyl adhesive numbers and they say they’re not re-usable but I’ve been reusing mine for months and months. Just keep the backing paper, use a plastic razor blade to get it started and peel it right back off. Wipe off the dirt and brake dust first and its easy-peasy. Not sure that helps the OP, but now you know!
Old 05-02-2021, 01:35 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

FWIW, PBOC FL, give everyone vinyl numbers at registration. 100's instructors, 500's green.

easy to see if someone is out in the wrong session.

Quick Reply: Car Number decals for DE/Track Days