Sponsored by:

Drive or trailer for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 10:50 AM
mdsarch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I feel like 9. is get sick of all the vehicles, storage, maintenance, etc and sell everything to go back to a street car.
Its the KISS philosophy!
Old 06-12-2021, 11:32 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I sold my trailer, and track car. downsizing, and looking for a newer car to drive to track car.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:25 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Truck and trailer here after years of driving to the track

What broke me was a 12 hour round trip in a recaro xl

my only rule is that the rig I use to convey my track car to the track can’t be worth more than my track car
Old 06-13-2021, 10:35 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SnP
Truck and trailer here after years of driving to the track

What broke me was a 12 hour round trip in a recaro xl

my only rule is that the rig I use to convey my track car to the track can’t be worth more than my track car
That's a good reason to get a gt2rs clubsport....
Old 06-14-2021, 10:29 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................

We are encouraging people ONTO the slippery slope, not OFF of it!!
What? No "hookers n' blow" comments here?? Is this really Rennlist? WTH? So, photo of my new'ish trailer rig from LeRoy Engineering (thanks also to SportTows for the hidden hitch set up -- under the spring loaded license plate). This works great and I can run the street MPSS's as my rains if it get's wet. Traveling to Barber MSP for the Alabama PCA's Father's Day HPDE weekend event later this week! Hoping to get to VIR this year, and maybe another track or two. My max is about 6 hours drive time (happily Barber and Road Atlanta are each only about 1.5 hours), so that puts quite a few tracks in my range. Way less expensive than tow vehicle/trailer combo (been there, did that). Now, hookers n' blow are so much more within my budget!

Thanks Johnathan @ LeRoy!
Old 06-14-2021, 10:35 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................

We are encouraging people ONTO the slippery slope, not OFF of it!!
Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Next step, carry your home with you.

Ok, you win. But, I'd want an enclosed trailer. Then yes, I'd do this in a second. Hmmmmm...thinking now....
Old 06-14-2021, 10:40 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Papamurphdog
What? No "hookers n' blow" comments here?? Now, hookers n' blow are so much more within my budget!

Thanks Johnathan @ LeRoy!
Nice to see you finally have your priorities straight.

Sitting here at LRP in the pouring rain. Looks like rain for both days straight. Damn this sucks. Might have to head to Foxwoods for the next 2 days……
Win some lose some I guess. 1 car on track.
Forecast not good.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:02 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
9: Arrive and drive. Let someone else tow your race car to the track for you. Winning!!!!!
^^^ This is what I do for my Cayman track car, which is not street legal. I pay my shop to do it. For me the convenience outweighs the cost. I also have a street legal GT3 that I sometimes drive to the local track (40 miles away), but honestly the GT3 is not a pleasant car to drive on long road trips.

Last edited by Jake951; 06-14-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:20 AM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 293 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by EJR2
Just getting back into DE after about 20 years away. My newb question is what percentage of people trailer their cars to DE versus driving to the track? For those that drive what do you do if you have mechanical or other issues to get the car home?

My philosophy is to drive my street cars to, from and at DEs on street tires in order to learn the limits "as is" (I've never understood the point of tracking street cars on racing tires at DEs). My trailer is for my race car that I can't drive to/from the track on the street.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:48 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

All this progression and experiential wisdom, and no one mentions "track support?" WTF? Drive your everyday street car to the track, in style, no numbers, no squealing brakes, no "wings"........arrive at track, (after or during the driver's meeting) after grabbing breakfast and a cappuccino, of course, climb out and greet your tractor trailer/stacker and support staff, car is sitting there, guys are cleaning it, all gassed up, they help you get into your color matching driving gear, they check your tire pressures, schlep your extra sets of tires, have almost any tool needed and spares to keep you on the track......and voila, you are good to go! Simple, easy, peasy, Life is good........just don't tell the wife how much it costs, if it does raise its potentially ugly head, "sell" her on the safety aspect....and you should be all set! No dually, no should I get a 24' or a 28' or a dual car trailer or a gooseneck, no need for how do I configure the trailer, A/c, larger cooler, fridge, microwave, etc.?, as the track support passenger cabin usually has A/C and a lounge, (maybe waitresses (?) no white knuckle drives home........ no motorhome needed, save time and trouble and the inevitable slide down the car/tow vehicle, trailer slippery slope, pass go, collect your $200.00 and you are on your way!

Quick Reply: Drive or trailer for DE?