Sponsored by:

How to decide on a HANS device

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 02:54 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default How to decide on a HANS device

I have an 08 GT3 that I got last fall and I plan to do about 2 or 3 HPDE weekends a year in. It has the CGT buckets (fixed backs) and I added 6 point belts over the winter. I'm not sure how to select a HANS device. I am in the blue level at PCA (I have probably been solo 3-4 weekends coming from an 08 c2s) I don't want the hybrid version but there are a lot of other options.

TIA,
Dave
Old 06-16-2021, 03:14 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

If you can, try them on. There are a number of price points but I really think it comes down to driver comfort. The more expensive you go, the more premium materials you get (carbon fiber, less weight). I don't know if I would be able to justify the premium offerings for a few DEs a year, personally. Functionally they all get the job done in the same fashion. Good thing about the hybrid models is that if you eventually instruct or drive a car without harnesses you can have the same protection....something to think about. I have a Hans III which is on the lower end of the price spectrum and I have never had to test it's effectiveness, knock on wood.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:36 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

I would just stick with something simple, proven, uncomplicated. Cant go wrong with Hans III (non carbon version).
Old 06-16-2021, 04:07 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I would talk to an expert. Personally, I went to HMS Motorsports to have them recommend and help fit a frontal head and neck restraint. You can call them, or find someone local to you.

I went with a Schroth SHR Flex.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:52 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

I've had the Schroth SHR Flex for a few years and liked it's range of movement side to side when I compared with a Hans but I think I made a sizing mistake. Im thin with bony collarbones and while I fall under their Medium size parameters for neck size, the pressure it puts on my collarbones can get pretty uncomfortable by the end of the day when I cinch down my shoulder harnesses tight. One bit of sizing advice that I missed when buying was that even if your neck is smaller you can opt for the larger one in order to give you more room over the collar bones.

"The Schroth SHR Flex offer simple sizing – there are just two sizes – a Medium for necks up to 16 ½” and a Large for necks over 16 ½”. And a size Large can even be used if your neck is smaller to give you more room over the collar bones."

Last edited by BFT3.2; 06-16-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:55 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll need to check which size I have, but I've found it very comfortable. I believe they sell pads for it now as well.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:56 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 626 Posts

I really like my Necksgen Rev2 Lite.

I tried the SHR flex and it was horribly uncomfortable, but I have heard they have since redesigned it to address this issue.

Different styles of HANS brand may interfere w/ your seat depending on your seating angle, if you go that route you should test them in your seat.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:35 PM
Tom '74 911
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll add one more data point. I started with a Hans and moved to a Schroth Flex. I have not been able to get comfortable with either. I have a race car w/6-point harness and like to have the belts pretty tight. Both devices leave my collarbones bruised and uncomfortable by the end of a day, let alone a full weekend. I've also found that they don't stay completely put during a session - they both like to slide forward on my shoulders, no matter how tight the shoulder belts are. I recently bought a Simpson Hybrid S. I haven't been able to get to the track yet to try it out, but I think it's going to be great... It definitely won't slide down and should be much easier on my collar bones. I'm excited to give it a try... from just some test fitting time, it does seem a little more restrictive side-to-side, but the comfort factor seems way higher (for me).

It would be best to be able to try them on, but the only way to really know for sure, is to drive some sessions w/one.

Best,
Tom D.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:40 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You might get hooked and race. If so there are rules. Some sanctioning bodies even have rules for HPDE and time trial. IMO the HANS is the 800lb gorilla. It has all the real data of real crashes of pros in procars at 100G+ survivable crashes. I see no reason buy anything other than an authentic HANS. The next most important thing to consider is the Rules. HNR's have SFI 38.1 rating and or FIA rating. The SFI devices are cheaper but they have to be recertified every 5 years with a new sticker and that costs you time energy and money. The FIA stickered HNR's are lifetime. So IMO pay a bit more for an FIA labeled device. But all devices should have tethers replaced very 5 years. An FIA device meets SFI 38.1 but not the other way around.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:50 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Several options. I like the Hans brand. They have composite abs carbon fiber. Both worth equally well composite is fine.
Stand offers a surprisingly well priced model too.
Some like the Schroth H&N device. I don't but to each their own.

If you have a six point belt wearing a H&N device is critical as the only part of your body that will move on impact is your head and neck.

But - big but. Do you have a roll bar installed? Can't use a six point without a roll bar

Originally Posted by my first 911
I have an 08 GT3 that I got last fall and I plan to do about 2 or 3 HPDE weekends a year in. It has the CGT buckets (fixed backs) and I added 6 point belts over the winter. I'm not sure how to select a HANS device. I am in the blue level at PCA (I have probably been solo 3-4 weekends coming from an 08 c2s) I don't want the hybrid version but there are a lot of other options.

TIA,
Dave
Old 06-16-2021, 11:58 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

Stand21 also makes a nice one, for a decent price. Similar to the HANS III

Few here, me included, are answering your question though. I think most of us take a guess and order something, and if it doesn’t work well we try something else. If you can get to a shop that sells them, that’s best. If not call a place and talk to a human, like Stable Energies, HMS, or the many sponsors on this site

Old 06-17-2021, 08:19 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default hans

got to also consider your size. if you are barrel chested or over 200 lb, the hans III is designed with a 20 degree layback. it can be uncomfortable if this is the case.

feel free to call Linda for guidance.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:20 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

The Hans brand is definitely a proven choice ...
I had a frontal impact at 80mph when a car in front of me put a rear wheel in the grass and came back
across the track.I had a slight stiff neck two days later but that was it , not even Advil worthy !

I have the older " heavier" model and once you're strapped in you don't feel it anyways.
Guess it's all a matter of personal comfort with all the different options available now.

Cheers
Phil
Old 06-17-2021, 02:20 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Several options. I like the Hans brand. They have composite abs carbon fiber. Both worth equally well composite is fine.
Stand offers a surprisingly well priced model too.
Some like the Schroth H&N device. I don't but to each their own.

If you have a six point belt wearing a H&N device is critical as the only part of your body that will move on impact is your head and neck.

But - big but. Do you have a roll bar installed? Can't use a six point without a roll bar
The car did come with a roll bar. I had to add the belts and the sub bars under the seats. Thanks for all the feed back
Old 04-23-2024, 10:22 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi All, I was just at LBGP and Stand21 had a booth there. I tried on their Featherlite. Well, not surprising, its super light. 11 oz. ! I have an original HANS Sport from like 15 years ago at least - predates the 2010 standard and at that time you had to have your helmet drilled for the posts as they weren't standard until SA 2010 helmets. Anyway, I digress. According to HANS' website, their current sport weighs 2.25 lbs. I am betting mine is heavier but probably not by a lot. Now here's my question - has anyone switched from the normal devices (resin/composite/whatever) to a carbon head and neck restraint? Obviously the cost is quite substantial so I'm trying to, er, weigh (ha ha) the differences.

I bought a carbon Stilo helmet a few years ago - that of course makes a big difference because you literally feel it on your head. I'm just trying to understand the difference on my shoulder blades because to me most of the force is actually the harness pulling down on the restraint. Of course, if the restraint weight 10 lbs, I'd absolutely feel it but I am not sure I would feel the difference that is lighter by 1.5 lbs. It certainly sounds better though and maybe my shoulders wouldn't complain as much - or maybe they wouldn't know the difference - I just don't know.

Also one review said Stand21 is just more ergonomic to the anatomy - I can believe that although obviously very hard to tell by just trying it on and not driving with it.

So, any thoughts?

Quick Reply: How to decide on a HANS device