Old 07-14-2021, 12:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I only raced for one day
No, you didn't...
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary R.:
CT_Peter (07-15-2021), mhm993 (07-15-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 01:33 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
No, you didn't...

Sorry went around the track for 4 sessions with no timing devices for only 1 day.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:45 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,691 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Ill add my $.02.

I was in a gold group at Mid-Ohio with zone 4 pca earlier this year (combined blue and yellow). It was my first pca and 4-5th days on a track. I was instructed the first day and soloed the second. Basically i learned the track, recognised the flagers, faster drivers and my mistakes. i was talking my own way around the track with very little input from the instructor. I felt i was in the correct group for the event.

My next event was Witkins Glen with potomic pca. They had me in the green group which was fine due to my limited track knowledge. I only raced for one day due to a snapped rod but i felt that at this event i was also in the correct group. I dont think potomic will let me solo for a while but i expect to move up to a yellow group quickly.

Point being that its ok for different groups to class cars/drivers differently based on the event. Hopefully ill be at VIR at the end of aug with potomic. I should have my mk1, gt3ish upgrade done in a couple weeks

I should point out that i have over 25yrs of offroad rock crawling and a fair amount of go fast dessert seat time. I also build custom off road suspensions in the side. I have a very good understanding and feel for what the car is doing and my surroundings. I just need practice on the track.

And thanks to the instructors that hang in there with us newbies
That’s a good mentality. Group coloring shouldn’t be viewed as a badge of honor but where you fit best that day for the best experience for all. If someone stuck me in green group I’d be fine with it as long as I was moved out when/if it became a problem.
Originally Posted by Gary R.
No, you didn't...
If what 2/3rd of the field in road racing is doing is called racing, I’d call lapping day racing too. Seems about the same lol.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:30 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

To the civilians out there all we do is racing. I've given up trying to explain it...

Car Control School - Racing.
Autocross - Racing.
HPDE - Racing.
Open Track Day - Racing.
Club Race - Racing.
Commute to Work - Well ok, not racing, but I don't even commute any more.
The following users liked this post:
txhokie4life (07-15-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 05:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
To the civilians out there all we do is racing. I've given up trying to explain it...

Autocross - Racing.
HPDE - Racing.
Open Track Day - Racing.
Club Race - Racing.
I gotta throw the flag here. Not one mention of hookers and blow. 5 yards, delay of thread.....
Old 07-14-2021, 05:46 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36

Autocross - Racing.
HPDE - Racing.
Open Track Day - Racing.
Club Race - Racing.
Is that your race car?

Sigh.. pause.. Yes.
The following 3 users liked this post by DTMiller:
mhm993 (07-15-2021), skru_fase (07-14-2021), Zhao (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 09:50 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have been debating whether to post here or in the other thread...this isn't about "still", but why I am "about to". After 11 years of DE, I spent my first day in the "right" seat with CVR on Monday. It was a humbling experience "coaching" my "students" (instructors) around LRP....I have always appreciated the time and guidance the instructors have provided me from green through black ride-a-longs, but after Monday, I have a whole new level of respect for what they do....and hope that I can provide that same level of instruction to students some day (soon).....the ability to concisely and effectively provide instructions, at speed, in advance of the students driving, while staying aware of traffic, passing, flaggers. weather, etc, etc, etc, is truly something that deserves respect.

It is one thing to be a capable driver, it is a whole different level to instruct. I look forward to the opportunity to give back to the club, and help develop a new set of enthusiasts.
The following 4 users liked this post by cuttinsod:
needmoregarage (07-14-2021), ProCoach (07-14-2021), TXE36 (07-15-2021), Zhao (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:46 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,691 Likes on 937 Posts

^ Congrats on starting instructing. I'm just some random faceless instructor too, but a decade into doing it I still often find it more enjoyable than driving. The odd day I may question why I am doing it, but the following helps me.

- If you ever get discouraged because it's not working with a student remember people learn in all kinds of ways and you can't connect with everyone (you can always ask to swap students).
- Don't feel like you're giving terrible instruction because you're new or having an off day; you're a volunteer; if they wanted A+++ instruction they would have gotten a coach. You bring your own knowledge and experience to the table, and if they learn only a few things from you, it's still a great service to them vs not having anyone (and your OFF day is likely still way better than some self proclaimed "instructor" guy's best ON day).
- Oh and don't get into any car you don't feel comfortable being in. You're a volunteer, they want you to continue to volunteer. After 11 years of experience driving if you're scared.... its for good reason lol. Odds are there is a fearless 20ish year old or a 75 year old who's lived a good life that enjoys getting into the scary fast cars, or a very grouchy guy who missed the free coffee and donuts that loves yelling at people acting like idiots for the scary drivers, and if they won't then you definitely know you made the right call.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:33 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Great advice! Thanks!
Old 07-16-2021, 12:30 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Is that your race car?

Sigh.. pause.. Yes.
Did you win?
Yes.
Where's the trophy?
I drove it home.

.......lotsa good, hard "racin'" on WGI's NASCAR layout today w/ SCCA--no rubbin', tho

Last edited by gbuff; 07-16-2021 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: This is why I *still* instruct at DE