Sponsored by:

Value of Skippy school for experienced driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 06:15 PM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
To be clear... I signed up to do 1 day private coaching.

I would love to go back to basics and do 5 full days... that would be great.... but unfortunatly 12k for a week vacation that does not include the wife isnt going to fly in my house. By day three she would be sending pics of my sh*t on fire on the lawn.
completely agree. I got so much crap taking 4 days off. Forget the money part, I think the dogs alone drove her nuts.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:58 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

By day 5, would be pics of her new boyfriend fiddling with my welder and petting my dog.

Last edited by jscott82; 09-29-2021 at 07:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jscott82:
coss1600 (09-29-2021), Matt Romanowski (09-29-2021), NaroEscape (10-02-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 07:18 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 787 Likes on 395 Posts

By day 5, would be pics of her new boyfriend fiddling with my welder and petting my dog.
My wife is for just about anything that makes me a better and faster driver. If I were to go to the school, she would want a recap of what we did during the day and a description of what I learned. When I got home she would make sure I got nice reward too! No boyfriends for her! Of course, she is the team owner and crew chief and is in my ear for all my races. We are a team!
Old 09-30-2021, 08:31 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

yup.. that was my issue... I called about the 2 day advanced, but was informed that scca or nasa race license were prereq, not PCA. So I would have to 5 days. Single day 1-1 coaching was my only option.... and cost the same as the 2 day...

Am I missing something? NASA gave me a competition license because I had my PCA license. Application, Physical(they accepted the PCA form), $100, done. Has that changed?

Old 09-30-2021, 08:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Am I missing something? NASA gave me a competition license because I had my PCA license. Application, Physical(they accepted the PCA form), $100, done. Has that changed?
No,
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-30-2021, 08:39 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No,
Then get the NASA license and skip the 3 day school. (or am I being captain obvious here?)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:33 AM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Jeff:
Race craft and confidence development take seat time and race experience to develop. Your worst enemy right now is overthinking. I am lucky if I get to do 1 race a year at this point. When I started racing in 2000 I was a competent driver in DE, but my first race weekend was eye opening. I realized in the first practice that I had no idea how to race. Going off of memory I think it was around my 5th race weekend where I finally grasped the mental side of racing. You need seat time in race conditions. I think you have the basic tools already in your toolbox but you don't have them arranged properly. Put a passenger seat in your car for a DE. Hire Cody or Evan Close and ride in the car with them and you will be able to see what your car feels like at faster lap times.
The following users liked this post:
jscott82 (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Then get the NASA license and skip the 3 day school. (or am I being captain obvious here?)
He's not talking about licensing. He's talking about the pre-requisite to get access to the ADVANCED two-day (smaller groups, all one-on-one intensive feedback, data coaching, all day/both days) program at Skip Barber.

And no, the NASA license (or any other license) won't get them to waive that requirement.

Part of any serious educational curricula is the building blocks, the glossary and the approach they want you to be familiar with before moving on to the advanced program. Yes, in the three-day, they do have to drag the slow folks along, which may not help the experienced folks (like old cossie), but you have to hear it so that ALL of the time in the Advanced program is dedicated to the one-on-one feedback and track time and to have it make sense.

It's disappointing to me that so many people are "beyond" the basics. It's tedious, I get it. But it IS important.

Mastery of the basics and a distilled, targeted methodology to deconstruct what you're doing and go back to the best execution of fundamental skills is the ONLY way to break through plateaus and function at the highest level.

It's like when I send a private coaching questionnaire out to someone and one of the questions is "are you a graduate of a recognized professional school program?" Most say no.

Then, I ask how they would rank themselves in skills execution, Novice, Intermediate or Advanced. WITHOUT fail, many select "advanced," some with a few dozen racing days, others with as little as twenty, forty or sixty days of DE.

When working with drivers, too many times we need to go back to basics when we review and assess data and video after the first run or two. Braking exercises, when to shift, how to read a track, fundamentals of weight distribution and effective use of the tire contact patch, the basics of the friction circle, exercises to begin REALLY trail-braking instead of only THINKING that you're executing that. That's fine, that's what I'm there for...

The number of folks that truly "rotate" their cars, as opposed to just waiting on the understeer to stop or waiting to get to the point where they can "mash the gas" to get off the corner are really a very small percentage of active drivers out there.

When I look at the best pros, and the best club racers, they are MUCH closer to the ideal. The quality of each of their executions is very high. Their understanding of the relationship between all the basics, control input timing and amplitude, are very practiced and very good.

There is an ideal to strive for. THAT is what a proven, time honored curriculum provides, especially in the advanced phases.

I do think the OP will get some of what he needs from the private coaching next week. I think he'd get even more coupling that with additional skidpad training in low-traction environments with a professional at the BMW Training Center, Team O'Neil and Dirtfish.

It's all about building confidence. Without a firm understanding and comprehension of the basics, confidence is not repeatable, because it's just throwing it against the wall and hoping it sticks...

Just my experience...

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-30-2021 at 10:35 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ProCoach:
GT3_Driver (10-01-2021), raspritz (10-01-2021), T&T Racing (10-02-2021), winders (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 11:11 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 553 Likes on 291 Posts

Jeff knows my opinion on this....

Road Atlanta is not an easy track to get good at in one day, and he's never been there before.
He'll be driving a car he's never driven before that is nothing like his Cayman (Mustang GT). I keep being told it will take many weekends and lots of seat time to get comfortable with the Cayman even after driving another mid engine car for 30 years...
And as stated, its not the "how do I drive" that's an issue, it's "how do I race/pass/coexist with 30 other cars inches away from me and TRUST the car". I can't see how any of this can be learned in a one-on-one day at a track you don't know in a car you don't know.

Obviously I do believe in coaching and see huge value in it. But I firmly believe that seat time in your own car with the proper coaching of what the problem is (mental, psychological, confidence boosting, etc) would do so much more than the Skip Barber school in this instance.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Last edited by NaroEscape; 09-30-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:22 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe a left field opinion here.. Have you considered karting? You sound like you're wishing for more car control exercises. If you want to find the limit and go over it, know what it's like to over-drive a 4 wheeled vehicle, karting is a great place to start. Over-driving the car and sliding it around isn't the quickest way around the track but it sounds like you're trying to find the confidence to push the car a little. I especially recommend indoor karts on polished concrete surfaces. You can lose it and spin the kart out in a corner over and over again. The kart rental place wont care if you put it in the tires. Gain a controlled drift around a corner (again, not the fastest way around a corner). Intentionally lose the kart a little, then try to get it back. Then, finally, dial it back until you find the level when you're "bending" the kart around the corner and turning the fastest laps. Something to consider perhaps over winter. You can show up to an indoor kart track in winter on a weeknight and sometimes you'll be one of 3 people on the track.

Other than that, rally/dirt is great, ice driving is great, if you find yourself up north in the winter do 2 hours of sliding around in a frozen empty parking lot.

Finally, get the cheapest, ugliest rear wheel drive car with the smallest tires and hustle it around. I vintage VW bug will slide around a little though a corner at 35MPH.

Have fun- it hope this is going to be a really fun learning process for you! I think the self deprecation etc. isn't going to help at all. You're already in a great place and this is supposed to fun. If it's not fun, you should be getting paid for it and we'd call it "a job". It doesn't mean it doesn't take effort it just doesn't have to be like taking medicine.

Last edited by 997_rich; 09-30-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:41 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

I may try Karting, I have a group of friends that go regularly. I avoid karts as I'm a big guy both height and weight, so I don't fit, and when I do shoehorn myself I'm slow just from power/wt. Have not considered just making it a slide fest.

I also have access to a wet /dry skidpad so may just go slide around there a bit too.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:43 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s
I know exactly what you're referring to.. things that have helped me..
Go carts… esp in the dirt drifting.. living in the northeast with snow and ice.. parking lots with few light poles are a blast after a fresh snow.. and most of all.. i ran a bit with the saturday night roundy round nascar crowd in a cutlass street stock.. guys in that class consider it a “ full contact” sport.. and going into the turn at 80 -90 mph and as soon as you hit the brakes get blasted from behind just makes you a really good drifter.. full lock, foot to the floor in a disposable car with a cage that was totally overbuilt.. was great experience.. so when my car stepped out on me coming out of T10 at 90mph at summit point it got my attention but just kept my foot in it and drove out of it.. it becomes 2nd nature and you dont even think about it.. afterwards you say “ holy sh@$ .. but slow easy inputs.. im not saying i dont get intimidated by corners with little or no run off but kinda instinctually correcting an issue is where you want to be… that takes doing it. If thats a corner with a ton of run off or practice on a skidpad you really need to have the experience in a big slide..
recently i was at the Glen going into T8, nobody around , the Garmin lady told me to “ brake less”, so i did, and i could have caught the car but never spun it, in the back of my mind i wanted to feel what it would be like, so i let it spin with both feet in. Ended up in the runoff area, no biggie. But after 3 years driving the car now i know what it feels like, and have an idea of the “ point of no return is”.
That said, I don't always drive 10/10 in an enduro.. as they say “ this is for fun” If i win or come in last.. either way, i know roger Penske is not going to call… its just all good fun.
was great meeting you at summit, great putting. A face to a name.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:47 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
My wife is for just about anything that makes me a better and faster driver. If I were to go to the school, she would want a recap of what we did during the day and a description of what I learned. When I got home she would make sure I got nice reward too! No boyfriends for her! Of course, she is the team owner and crew chief and is in my ear for all my races. We are a team!
I can only wish... My wife used to come to every event, but she really wasn't interested ... I tried to get her engaged but she just wasn't interested... Finally this year I pissed her off and now she doesn't want to come anymore.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:12 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Jeff:
Race craft and confidence development take seat time and race experience to develop. Your worst enemy right now is overthinking. I am lucky if I get to do 1 race a year at this point. When I started racing in 2000 I was a competent driver in DE, but my first race weekend was eye opening. I realized in the first practice that I had no idea how to race. Going off of memory I think it was around my 5th race weekend where I finally grasped the mental side of racing. You need seat time in race conditions. I think you have the basic tools already in your toolbox but you don't have them arranged properly. Put a passenger seat in your car for a DE. Hire Cody or Evan Close and ride in the car with them and you will be able to see what your car feels like at faster lap times.
Thanks Mark!

I thought I could hang on your coat tails as you passed, but as you effortlessly carved through slower traffic, i got balked and stuck behind.... Thus my problem here :-)

Old 09-30-2021, 11:15 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 787 Likes on 395 Posts

I can only wish... My wife used to come to every event, but she really wasn't interested ... I tried to get her engaged but she just wasn't interested... Finally this year I pissed her off and now she doesn't want to come anymore.
Yes, I am very fortunate in this regard. I don't see many wives at the track involved in their husband's racing. Some show up but it is the rare wife that is actually an active and valuable participant in what is going on. I would not be as successful as I am without her being there. I certainly would have less fun too!

Quick Reply: Value of Skippy school for experienced driver