Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enjoy DE's Without Worrying About Lap Times?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 09:34 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Wait a minute! Grass isn't a racing surface??!?!?
Old 10-13-2021, 09:52 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Shocking.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

Driving at the track is enjoyment unless you are getting paid to go fast! If your version of fun at the track is the social comradery, learning, improving, and enjoying your Porsche while on track, then that is what you should do. As Scott pointed out, there are certainly different cultures in different regions and DE groups. Some are all about learning, some about going fast, some about open track time. I've seen a number of people over the years who are content with being in yellow, white, or black and just driving a few events a year to have fun. I have good friend I met at Pocono almost 20 years ago and if they are at event, I'm just as interested in hanging out as driving!

I also have a really fond memory of a region member at Tremblant coming back to the paddock right before lunch. He had hit the grocery store and picked up a baguette, cheeses, lunch meats, mustard, and all the accoutrement. He carefully assembled a work of art and hung out with his friends at the track. In three days I think he drove his GT3 R in maybe 6 of the 12 sessions he could have. He was there to hang out with his friends, enjoy his Porsche, and have some fun. He never cared what run group, how fast, or who he passed or didn't pass! He was the same whether he was driving a Boxster, Carrera GT, GT3 R, or Turbo Cab - just there to have some fun and enjoy the car.

Enjoy the track how you like it!
The following 6 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
bbinder (10-16-2021), Kein_Ersatz (10-14-2021), LuigiVampa (10-13-2021), needmoregarage (10-13-2021), pjazz (10-14-2021), Robert Nixon (10-15-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:53 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Grass is fair game.

Now that we've gotten 'that' out of the way :you need to get back into the sport and tune out the nonsense.

If your awareness, vision, and attitude are correct then working the art of passing should be a non-issue for you on the circuit and you should be able to once again experience the joy of being on track!

Many upper groups have essentially become shakedown weekends or test and tunes for racers. The machinery has really progressed.

You mentioned VIR... perhaps look into joining the VIR club and running in the Touring group. Excellent mix of cars, relaxed atmosphere, hang out with your buddies, and have a great lunch to boot!
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-14-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:57 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The shock and horror of driving on the grass! Who, we must ask, who would do such a reckless thing as drive on the grass?!
A Mustang perhaps?

Robert Nixon (10-15-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 11:56 PM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 114 Posts

I'd first find a different club. There are lots of options out there and they all have different goals, drives, cars, vibes. I find I enjoy mixed marque clubs a lot more than PCA or BMWCCA where its just a bunch of waxers with shiny hardware :P. I'm really happy to have found my club that's a super good group of guys, great mix of types of people and vehicles, and are all fast, but very supportive of each other. People consistently bust their humps to help a fellow competitor out. And they run a time trial series which I think gives the events some purpose, but may not be for everyone.

That said, I often find that some of the most fun, in the relaxing sense, days I have are at Track Night in Americas. There is something so effortless and casual about heading out to the track after lunch, cruising through the country on the way (Lime Rock often), zipping around with less competition-focused drivers, not worrying about times or speed (I don't even bring my lap timer) and just enjoying a nice evening. The whole even is just effortless. No tech, barely a meeting, just arrive and drive. I'd highly recommend these as well.

But ultimately, it is what you make of it. If your the keep up with teh joneses type, you'l always be disappointed. Just focus on joy of learning and progressing and tune the rest out. It's literally not a competition. Also, maybe put more effort into the social aspect of it. Go out of your way to build relationships and that tends to make things more engaging and bring more value to the weekend.

Last edited by txbdan; 10-13-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:19 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
A Mustang perhaps?

The preferred racing surface for Mustangs are people.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:03 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree with pro coach post. As amateurs DE or racing there’s not much difference.

Unless someone is paying me to race I’m doing it for my own grins. Fact is, Second is the 1st loser. How many really have a fully optimized car? Even in spec Miata car prep is all over the map. Could the fastest guy in the best car still win with a so called equal car that qualified in the lower third of the grid? Most of the decisions as to where one is on the grid is decided by one’s wallet and commitment long before the 1st qualifying session.

How many places do you jump with full exploitation of the build rules? What about new purple crack Hoosiers for every qualifying? Worth how many grid position? What about new tires to race on? What about having some clout so at Runoffs you can get the new spec. Hoosier rain tires or can you score the 1st A7s at the Laguna Runoffs and your competition is on A6s? How far up the grid does that help. What about showing up with a support team of guys, spotters and crew chief? How many grid positions does that get you?

a lot of racers are grid filler. Do they really think they can win? I hang with consistent winners in other classes. I’m not one of those guys. Did you know the grid may have 40 cars but the winners talk about maybe racing 3 of them. If you aren’t one of those guys the only reason to be out there is to have some fun because you’re not winning the 6” plastic trophy.

The OP mentioned safety. Just like one can aspire to be fast in a light slow Miata one can be fast in a 4000lb. Mustang. Mass wins when 2500lb Miata meets 4000 mustang. There is nothing more difficult to build than a dual use car. Racing safety systems are known and proven to work. A mustang DE car is just as fast as a mustang race car. Would you rather hit the wall with a full cage in a full containment seat or stock seat and harness bar?

Robert Nixon (10-15-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 10:55 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

I just saw this and thought it was perfect for this thread.

The following 6 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
LuigiVampa (10-14-2021), MaxLTV (10-14-2021), ProCoach (10-14-2021), RAdkins (11-30-2021), Robert Nixon (10-15-2021), txbdan (10-15-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:32 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I had a post here about driving 7/10th on track days , and being happy by driving safely , keeping pace in my run group , and preserving the car.

The unexpected response I got could be summed up as "If you don't push the car and your limits , then you won't learn anything"
I still think if I'm safe and keeping up and having fun , that should be enough .
The following 5 users liked this post by ANGST:
Matt Romanowski (10-14-2021), ProCoach (10-14-2021), RAdkins (11-30-2021), Robert Nixon (10-15-2021), wmond (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by ANGST
I had a post here about driving 7/10th on track days , and being happy by driving safely , keeping pace in my run group , and preserving the car.

The unexpected response I got could be summed up as "If you don't push the car and your limits , then you won't learn anything"
I still think if I'm safe and keeping up and having fun , that should be enough .
And I agree. Everyone’s motivation is different.

For most, it’s a great escape. You can’t really concentrate on anything else while on track, a great way to purge life’s worries and avoid responding to the myriad of electronic queries of us, at least for a little while…
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 5 users liked this post by ProCoach:
9912B (10-19-2021), LuigiVampa (10-14-2021), okie981 (10-14-2021), roadie13 (10-14-2021), TXE36 (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:58 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

For most, it’s a great escape. You can’t really concentrate on anything else while on track, a great way to purge life’s worries and avoid responding to the myriad of electronic queries of us, at least for a little while…
My first question when meeting a student for the first time is always a variation of "what are goals for driving on track?"

The responses have run from "I just want to have fun" to "I want to race", and everything in between. I adjust my instruction accordingly.

Ironically, I find that people who have raced tend to be more patient when driving at a DE. The DE only drivers who are trying to win the DE are the most problematic.
The following 8 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
aggie57 (10-15-2021), ANGST (10-14-2021), CT_Peter (10-18-2021), gman3280 (10-18-2021), M13S (10-15-2021), Matt Romanowski (10-14-2021), mhm993 (10-16-2021), ProCoach (10-14-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-2021, 12:56 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

... it’s a great escape. You can’t really concentrate on anything else while on track, a great way to purge life’s worries and avoid responding to the myriad of electronic queries of us, at least for a little while…
^^^^^^^This BIG TIME!
Old 10-14-2021, 01:45 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I am fairly certain the vast majority of the paddock is ADD or ADHD and driving a race car is something that feels very normal to us.

When the visor goes down all my problems go away.
The following 4 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Matt Romanowski (10-14-2021), MaxLTV (10-14-2021), mhm993 (10-16-2021), ProCoach (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I am fairly certain the vast majority of the paddock is ADD or ADHD and driving a race car is something that feels very normal to us.

When the visor goes down all my problems go away.
Yep, high achiever, Type-A, ADD, ADHD or some combination thereof. Making sense out of the sensory overload. Certainly matches my experience.

For sure!

Quick Reply: Enjoy DE's Without Worrying About Lap Times?