Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the most out of SCCA Competition School

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 09:35 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I did the SFR SCCA School at Thunderhill back in 2011. Pay attention and have a good attitude and you'll be fine. Study up on the regulations before hand.

On track sessions aren't about being fast, they're about showing you understand the rules and are safe. Have fun!

-mike
The following users liked this post:
519Kris (12-30-2021)
Old 01-07-2022, 10:54 PM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You will learn to be a safer driver. If you can pick up some speed out of it, it’s extra bonus. At the end of the day, the license just meant you spent the time and money for it. You will have to dig deep to go faster.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:09 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks all, lots of good advice in this thread, and mirrored advice I got else.

The San Francisco Region’s school is busy. The only recommendation (near requirement?) I didn’t follow was bringing crew with me. Getting tech inspection overlapping with the first driver meeting, strapped in for the first time, bleeding brakes at 6am solo with a vacuum pump, forgetting my window net and discovering it tangled while on grid(!), etc would have all been easier with anyone with a set of hands.

Lots of friendly and helpful people, the instructors are all stoked to be there working students, and the volunteers working grid, corners, etc are all doing it for the love of it, even had some drop by to chat when they saw my car in the paddock (“I was working T1, you looked good through there!”).

Engaged with my instructor and group mates. Was placed in the “advanced” closed wheel group. Everyone had sufficient talent but lots of people in new-to-them cars, and at least a couple who had never driven Thunderhill!

Drove clean, picking up the pace as we all got comfortable with the cars, and comfortable with each other’s style. Lots of excellent passing, and occasionally getting passed. Enough to stick my nose in for the first time and make a pass over the top of the cyclone.

There were a number of incidents. Luckily none for me. And at least one student in my group failed because of repeated contact. Most, if not all, incidents were avoidable. Just back out if things look sketchy! Or slow the pace if you’re having trouble with car control!

One of my highlights

Thanks all!
Old 02-15-2022, 03:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by 519Kris

The San Francisco Region’s school is busy. The only recommendation (near requirement?) I didn’t follow was bringing crew with me.

There were a number of incidents. Luckily none for me. And at least one student in my group failed because of repeated contact. Most, if not all, incidents were avoidable. Just back out if things look sketchy! Or slow the pace if you’re having trouble with car control!

Thanks all!
Thanks for sharing and the above is really true.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

519Kris (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 03:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 780 Likes on 507 Posts

Awesome! Nice job and great car awareness on that start!
519Kris (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 08:19 PM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, I can't believe people were already going nuts in a school. Did they really want to spend the time and money and not pass? I guess it's good they eliminated themselves.

Instead of taking my car, I ended up renting theirs as I didn't want the school to be ruined by mechanical problems.

Originally Posted by 519Kris

The San Francisco Region’s school is busy. The only recommendation (near requirement?) I didn’t follow was bringing crew with me. Getting tech inspection overlapping with the first driver meeting, strapped in for the first time, bleeding brakes at 6am solo with a vacuum pump, forgetting my window net and discovering it tangled while on grid(!), etc would have all been easier with anyone with a set of hands.

Lots of friendly and helpful people, the instructors are all stoked to be there working students, and the volunteers working grid, corners, etc are all doing it for the love of it, even had some drop by to chat when they saw my car in the paddock (“I was working T1, you looked good through there!”).

Engaged with my instructor and group mates. Was placed in the “advanced” closed wheel group. Everyone had sufficient talent but lots of people in new-to-them cars, and at least a couple who had never driven Thunderhill!

Drove clean, picking up the pace as we all got comfortable with the cars, and comfortable with each other’s style. Lots of excellent passing, and occasionally getting passed. Enough to stick my nose in for the first time and make a pass over the top of the cyclone.

One of my highlights

P4 to P1 start in the final race

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: Getting the most out of SCCA Competition School