Sponsored by:

Cayman platform racing options

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 08:07 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadaver
why is there only one on the roster for Sebring? Likely one of the biggest PCA gatherings and there is one SPC
Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
It's not impossible but it would probably be the most expensive way to achieve your desired end result.

For those venues, it really depends on whether you want to race in SCCA or race against other cars in your class in PCA. For Heartland Park you would be better off with a Spec Cayman (6-speed). There haven't been any PCA races at Hallet in a while and COTA is now off the 2022 calendar as well. For Eagles Canyon, an SPB (5-speed) is the car to have.

It's in the same class but the 981 has not proven to be very competitive in GTB1 - not sure why, but I think it has to do with the hesitancy to race an aluminum bodied car, with its limited repairability.

Agreed but if you can self support a 991.1 Cup, you can do the same with the Cayman. It all depends on how you want to spend your race weekend. The front runners in GTB1 have no time to self support.
I agree with your statement on end result. As far as what I want to race, it’s more a matter of being able to have better options in the Midwest.

Nonetheless, you bring up a good point. Perhaps I should isolate my goals to the one or two sanctioning bodies in the Midwest.

Why do you say heartland park would be better off in a SPC?

Again, good points on COTA and Hallett. Perhaps I should bail on the PCA idea all together. I do have a GTC6 car if I feel the need to make the Porsche gods happy.

I don’t self support a 991 cup. I pay for support and transport. Looking to find a car that I can self support at the track and transport. I can bring the car to the shop for pre and post race work. Again, not looking for a PCA medal. Just want a car that would be respectable in performance with GTB1 in the Midwest regional tracks. But, I agree with you, this confirms that I really need to find what I want to accomplish in my region. Perhaps that’s what I’m failing to grasp. I feel like since I want to race a Porsche I should slot myself in PCA. Rather, I should find the options in my region.

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 08:17 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PGas32
I’m not on it, but the SPC guys have an email chain and I think they try to coordinate which races to attend in order to have strong turnouts at a handful of events. My guess is the group collectively decided against Sebring this year.
gotcha. Makes sense.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:40 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 626 Posts

yes, pretty close to cup car money for buy in. Operating cost, from what I have heard, is also close to cup car if you want to run up front with stickers every race and quali. I think the benefit may be from the ability to self support and transport. I have a 991.1 cup that I race in IGT and the support and transport is probably 40% of the weekend tab. In summary, GTB1 vs cup is Essentially keeping the blow, but dropping the quality of hookers for the weekend.
Lol. What's the point of hookers without blow?

I guess in the end for the same money you just have to decide if you want mid or rear engine sort of handling then.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:13 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Again, good points on COTA and Hallett. Perhaps I should bail on the PCA idea all together. I do have a GTC6 car if I feel the need to make the Porsche gods happy.

I don’t self support a 991 cup. I pay for support and transport. Looking to find a car that I can self support at the track and transport. I can bring the car to the shop for pre and post race work. Again, not looking for a PCA medal. Just want a car that would be respectable in performance with GTB1 in the Midwest regional tracks. But, I agree with you, this confirms that I really need to find what I want to accomplish in my region. Perhaps that’s what I’m failing to grasp. I feel like since I want to race a Porsche I should slot myself in PCA. Rather, I should find the options in my region.
Keep in mind that race cars in classes with small car counts are relatively cheap in comparison to the more popular classes. The big GTB1 fields with the fast drivers are all on the East Coast. Just have a look at the previous race results as that will give you a good idea about the popular classes at a particular track. Some people have no issue racing the only car in their class and have a lot of fun doing it so it's really about your goals.

My point was that from a support perspective, there should be not much difference between running a Cayman vs. running a Cup on a race weekend. If you don't self-support the Cup, you would unlikely find it beneficial to self-support a Cayman, especially in a very competitive class where everybody at the pointy end of the grid works with a coach. One aspect that should not be underestimated is the reliability of a factory race car (like a Cup) vs. the reliability of a converted road car, which is much lower. See what the options in your region as it's not about keeping the Porsche Gods happy.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:03 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Keep in mind that race cars in classes with small car counts are relatively cheap in comparison to the more popular classes. The big GTB1 fields with the fast drivers are all on the East Coast. Just have a look at the previous race results as that will give you a good idea about the popular classes at a particular track. Some people have no issue racing the only car in their class and have a lot of fun doing it so it's really about your goals.

My point was that from a support perspective, there should be not much difference between running a Cayman vs. running a Cup on a race weekend. If you don't self-support the Cup, you would unlikely find it beneficial to self-support a Cayman, especially in a very competitive class where everybody at the pointy end of the grid works with a coach. One aspect that should not be underestimated is the reliability of a factory race car (like a Cup) vs. the reliability of a converted road car, which is much lower. See what the options in your region as it's not about keeping the Porsche Gods happy.
I get it. Maybe I should stay with the NASA ST4 or SCCA T3. I have a GTC6 car if I want to go for the glory.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,698 Posts

I get it. Maybe I should stay with the NASA ST4 or SCCA T3. I have a GTC6 car if I want to go for the glory.
Sounds like the car is a deal and turn-key it can do NASA and SCCA now, right? This car will actually make you a better driver in the C6 car if you get competitive in those classes in this car.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Frank 993 C4S (02-06-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 06:12 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Sounds like the car is a deal and turn-key it can do NASA and SCCA now, right? This car will actually make you a better driver in the C6 car if you get competitive in those classes in this car.
yes, turn key in NASA and SCCA. Im betting you're right on this also.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:53 PM
wellcoached
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Looking for some input from the gallery. Ive been checking out a 981 PDK cayman race car over the last 6 months. My mechanics car. Price has dropped to a point that I might consider buying. The car has been fielded in T3 and STU in SCCA for about a year. I actually rented the car and raced it in T3 last year. Ended up on pole for class. Its been running STU by another driver and won 2 of 3 races. The car has a stock 2.7L and classes fine in STU (and T3 once they approve the newer gen), WRL GP1, and NASA ST4. GT3 control arms, MCS coil overs are the main mods already performed. Otherwise stock. Getting to my question. Im fine to run these classes this year, but really want to be able to move up a class to PCA GTB1, NASA ST3, and SCCA T2 while staying more local to the midwest. How difficult would this be? From my limited research it seems like not an impossible option to swap in a 3.4L and upgrade some suspension/brakes/aero. Is this accurate? Am I missing anything else? Is this a crazy pipe dream? Last year I ran 5 races in IGT and 1 in sprint challenge in a 991.1 cup. Plan on keeping the cup a little longer and doing 2 or 3 races, but need to scale down the racing budget some while keeping the crack rush. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Any pics of this car ? I'd be interested in seeing it. I am currently building 981 2.7 PDK for G stock PCA ( significantly lower operating costs than GTB1)
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by wellcoached:
M_Weining (02-06-2022), ProCoach (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 11:10 AM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wellcoached
Any pics of this car ? I'd be interested in seeing it. I am currently building 981 2.7 PDK for G stock PCA ( significantly lower operating costs than GTB1)
I pulled the trigger and bought it. Should be fun nonetheless. I actually bought it once before but only got to keep the door, which is mounted on my garage door.

Last edited by Cadaver; 02-06-2022 at 02:44 PM.
ProCoach (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 02:49 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcoached
Beautiful car!
Old 02-06-2022, 03:56 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 164 Posts

Friend of mine and his dad spent obnoxious amounts of money running two GTB1 cars in PCA , although he did win the National championship but it was always the
same three or four cars running for the lead.
It costs a lot to be competitive ... he was Frank's main rival at the time !!!

Usually a pretty large field so i'm guessing , regardless you'll have a lot of fun.

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-09-2022, 08:57 PM
erliuic
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
To build for GTB1, at least to do it well, is not inexpensive. Not uncommon to spend $100K-$120+ on the build for a front running car. Great class, but very competitive up front.

I’d recommend Seb Juneau’s car (or his Dad’s car) if still available. Demonstrated performance, which is the most important thing you’re buying, if for GTB1.

Second, if you build for a PCA class, you lose a variety of choices to race other places. Just be aware.

What class would it be in now? G? I? I don’t know the specifics of the letter classes, hence my question.

I have seen an old front running IMSA ST class base Cayman 6-speed do 2:02-2:03 at VIR. This is a 2.7 car…

To me the value is you can run it in SCCA, NASA and PCA (likely) now. Hate to spend a bunch and render it both less competitive AND with fewer places to race.
Downside to buying a proven, well-sorted car is then you have fewer excuses when you're running a couple seconds off the pace! Maybe Seb was wearing better performing socks that gave him better pedal feel...
Old 02-09-2022, 10:03 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by erliuic
Downside to buying a proven, well-sorted car is then you have fewer excuses when you're running a couple seconds off the pace! Maybe Seb was wearing better performing socks that gave him better pedal feel...
But how do you know you haven't bought a played out racercar well past its prime?
Old 02-09-2022, 10:16 PM
erliuic
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
But how do you know you haven't bought a played out racercar well past its prime?
I actually just sold my DE car for one, so I am going to use that. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2022, 10:35 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually bought it once before but only got to keep the door, which is mounted on my garage door.
Now that right there is funny... sort of...

Quick Reply: Cayman platform racing options