Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 780 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Double Yellow is for when there is a safety car on track. It means FULL COURSE YELLOW.

Yellow means caution, no passing, be prepared to take evasive action.

Lots to learn here because this should not have happened.
Double Yellow does not indicate a safety car on track according to the rule book.

PCA flag rules.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

It CAN mean the pace car or safety car is on track, if you are RACING.

It DOES mean FULL COURSE YELLOW, as outlined in PCA CR Rules.

Smdh... Get a license and go racing, will you?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
GUMBALL (04-08-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 09:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Yep! Even if they were trying to catch up to the field behind the pace car, there is no way in hell they should have been going as fast as they were. Especially 2 laps into the double yellow.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:58 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

^ That was TWO laps into the double yellow? I thought it could only be the first observation of a double yellow at the first turn station.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Great post Colin, you really need to look and PLAN way ahead when trying to catch the pack under double yellow. Those two were simply going far too fast for a DY situation when they couldn't see far enough ahead. The other side of the coin are the drivers that drive 20 mph while the entire field drives away, neither is good practice. Also agree with Seth that the Pace car's speed can add or detract to the danger, and apparently was going so slow it caused the lead cup car to stall out?

Last edited by Gary R.; 03-29-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:06 AM
Topher06
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the FCY had been out for a few laps for a multicar incident at Turn 1. The back half of the track was clear.
Yes, the velocities of the 2 pursing cars was too high for the situation that presented.
These cars are so capable, and we are so used to having them on the edge that being at 50-70% feels like you are walking.
My throttle tracing (2nd car) is a 10-20 for the entirety of the esses. It is a long straight and the velocity builds quickly. Ever look down 'crawling' behind the pace car and the speedo says 80?

For the sake of the argument- add 2 more cars to that train. Another 30 feet less of stopping distance on a downhill. How slow would the next car have to be to avoid a collision?

I , personally, have never been on track and had the field come to a complete stop behind the safety car. Only during Red flag situations.

Like many near misses, there were a multitude of factors compounded.

Corrective actions taken by the club:

1) The pacecar was instructed to maintain a higher speed to keep the cup cars from stalling
2) The drivers were instructed to pass disabled cars, even under FCY
3) The drivers were instructed how to safely close up the gap to the safety car under FYC

Corrective actions take by me:

1) New underwear
2) Keep an eye on my speeds when under FCY
3) Never approach a blind corner under FCY without executing #2
The following 3 users liked this post by Topher06:
JoshuaB (03-29-2022), steved0x (03-29-2022), tgsmith4845 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:07 AM
Robert Nixon
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

From the very start of the video I couldn't tell if the station on the RIGHT was waving any flags, but saw the double yellows on the station on the LEFT.
As a HPDE driver I'd be thinking "double yellow or yellow DO NOT PASS" so that could lead to STOPPING if the driver in front of me stops, because I don't want to be THAT GUY passing on yellow....HOWEVER, in this case with no other info and likely seeing the cars ahead continue, hindsight is 20-20 and maybe the rest of the pack passing the guy that stalled (or whatever) would have been safer.

I passed a car that was slowing to a stop into a corner at another track, and it felt uncomfortable since it was an HPDE no-passing zone, but the driver had an obvious issue and was parking it so my instructor reassured me to keep going. The rules might cover 99% of the situations, but maybe not always 100% (like if you stop, stay in the car....unless there is fire)
fatbillybob (04-05-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:17 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Great summary and I agree with all your comments 100%.

At the same time the question you guys as racers need to be asking the series involved is why did these cars stop on track to begin with? If the pace car is moving that slow after 2 yellow flag laps then it is an issue caused by the series and they need to figure out a way to help keep an incident with an accordion effect from happening. I have seen several organizations want to say it is up to the racers to be held responsible for the actions on track. To me this is a wrong type of approach. It is that of one where no one wants to listen to the customer base and try to figure out how to make the series/sport better. Remember this is club racing where no one is getting paid. The customer base is only there when it is a safe and fun sport, (small oxymoron there with racing). When crashes total racecars while under full course yellow because the field is going so slow they have to stop on track then the organization involved does not understand what it really takes to run a race.
Thanks Seth. I agree there are lessons learned here for the stewards and track as well.

Originally Posted by winders
Yep! Even if they were trying to catch up to the field behind the pace car, there is no way in hell they should have been going as fast as they were. Especially 2 laps into the double yellow.
While true, it seems to be more complex than that. They hadn't caught the pack after 2 laps of double yellow so were rightfully trying to catch-up. They couldn't even see the pack after coming under the bridge before the climbing esses. Their speed was totally fine up thru T9, because they could see far enough ahead. Had there been a waving yellow at T9 and they had slowed at this point, it all would have been a non-event. Ultimately, I think it took a series of mistakes to cause this near miss.
993944S2 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:34 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

I think it’s time to reflect on what the flags mean. A double yellow in a race means that the pace car is out on track because there is an incident somewhere on the track that requires the Steward to control the speed of the field. Frankly, a stopped field under FCY happens all the time. It happened in the Yellow Enduro too as we had a track blockage at Madison Ave. The problem is with blind corners like T10 at VIR or the uphill at Lime Rock. Under FCY be prepared to stop suddenly. I once had a rookie crash his car on his first race weekend at Lime Rock for just that reason.

As to passing disabled cars, that is something people should learn in DE. This video is very educational. Let’s all learn from it and slow down as you are trying to catch the field under FCY. If you are the leader, reduce speed to 45 mph and let the pace car come out ahead of you.
The following 4 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
LuigiVampa (04-05-2022), Matt Romanowski (03-29-2022), ProCoach (03-29-2022), Robert Nixon (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 11:50 AM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Someone mentioned the waving yellow so be aware. The issue on Saturday was with the high winds, the flaggers/corner workers were hard pressed to control the flags as is usually the case. So maybe when it's real windy we need to be even more on our toes.

I don't remember seeing a cup car stall. Mine stalls real easy and I was fine during that yellow. I was in second overall and all seemed ok but me and the leader were a few cars back from the pace car.

Stu
Old 03-29-2022, 12:01 PM
69911s
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Stu is quite correct about the wind making all of the flags look like they were waving and if you look across to the back straight at the top of the hill which most of us tend to do, you will see the front of the pack moving along at what looks like normal pace car speed which would give you no indication of the stopped traffic. Most of us would take that to mean the pack was moving and have no reason to expect the stoppage. Just another example of the need for all of us to be on our toes constantly.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

I think it is also time to reflect on who we use as pace car drivers. Often times, I have seen various officials from the local PCA region or club being asked to drive the pace car as an honorary position. In the vast majority of those instances, those people have never been on a race track before other than in a parade lap setting. To be blunt, they have no concept of what they're doing nor the speeds that are required in the corners in order to maintain momentum and tire temps. And they are clueless about the accordion effect happening behind them in slow corners. While the race steward determines the pace car speed overall, the pace car driver is solely responsible for maintaining those speeds in corners, and that requires some amount of skill. Those with no skill tend to come to nearly a stop in a tight corner because that's what they do on the street. I have seen this type of pace car driver bring a long field nearly to a halt in a tight corner because they were not comfortable taking the corner any faster than 10 mph. While I was not on site for this incident, I am guessing that that's what happened here, given how tight a corner Oak Tree is.
roadie13 (03-31-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 02:25 PM
Topher06
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^ this. Who is going to be our Bernd Mylander?
Veloce Raptor (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 02:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think it is also time to reflect on who we use as pace car drivers. Often times, I have seen various officials from the local PCA region or club being asked to drive the pace car as an honorary position. In the vast majority of those instances, those people have never been on a race track before other than in a parade lap setting. To be blunt, they have no concept of what they're doing nor the speeds that are required in the corners in order to maintain momentum and tire temps. And they are clueless about the accordion effect happening behind them in slow corners. While the race steward determines the pace car speed overall, the pace car driver is solely responsible for maintaining those speeds in corners, and that requires some amount of skill. Those with no skill tend to come to nearly a stop in a tight corner because that's what they do on the street. I have seen this type of pace car driver bring a long field nearly to a halt in a tight corner because they were not comfortable taking the corner any faster than 10 mph. While I was not on site for this incident, I am guessing that that's what happened here, given how tight a corner Oak Tree is.
Yessir. I was P1 overall in a race where 944's (and my buddies 924) kept blowing up and crashing out every 10 minutes. It got so bad they sent out a pace car (which I had never seen at a PCA race after the start at that point). I came flying around T4 at NJ TBolt and there he was, with a couple cars behind him. Driver had his hand out the window waving the cars by. The (lapped) cars in front of me went by him and I got behind him. He kept waving me by frantically so I, never being in that position before but thinking I should not be passing, finally passed him and joined the group. Yep, you guessed it, he didn't know who was in P1 and they had to Black Flag us and line us back up in the hot pit, what a friggin mess, and I (deservedly) got screamed at for passing the pace car. I went from having a 40 second gap on P2 for an overall win to getting flustered and flying off in T3, got passed and finished P2 overall...

Last edited by Gary R.; 04-01-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Veloce Raptor (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 03:22 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Gotta ask if a black flag for the whole race session was done as a reset?

Quick Reply: Double yellow near miss