Sponsored by:

Help a Rookie Manage Traffic - In Car Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 03:31 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Showroom Stock in the late Seventies through early Nineties was a WAR! Lots of manufacturer support... Hence lots of "run over their mother to get to the checkered flag first" racing.

He was seriously impressed with that Porsche, too.

The following 2 users liked this post by chrisc:
Frank 993 C4S (04-16-2022), ProCoach (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 06:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

…The only car that can see BOTH cars is the overtaking car…
This is an important point that I was hoping would be brought up. While we might hope the 914 could see the op’s car, the truth is likely that the driver only saw the car immediately behind him. Or at least the 914 saw only the car immediately behind as one that might attempt a pass. Assuming that the 914 saw the op is being optimistic.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (04-16-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 11:13 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Lots of great advice here, and i have been bit by the vortex of danger myself at RDATL in T7 (onto the back straight)! in fact Randy was at the event and made it clear to me in the briefing with the stewards hah... Lesson learned!

Only other thing i want to add here that you get used too in mixed class racing is to stay visible behind the cars you are looking to pass!!! what you said in the OP " i was flashing my lights coming onto the straight and pulled out EARLY so both cars knew i was there"

That is the exact opposite you want to do if you want them to know you are there. as soon as you pull out to the right those cars lost you and cannot see you. you were passed the first car early enough that it was not a problem, but i can tell you even if you pulled up and didn't attempt the pass on the 914, he had no idea you were there!. so if you want to make sure somebody sees you there next time, stay right behind their car in their mirrors as long as you can!

Race on and have fun out there! you will learn from this and be better next time.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 02:23 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
This is an important point that I was hoping would be brought up. While we might hope the 914 could see the op’s car, the truth is likely that the driver only saw the car immediately behind him. Or at least the 914 saw only the car immediately behind as one that might attempt a pass. Assuming that the 914 saw the op is being optimistic.
I'd have to agree with this. From the video I'd say the 914 had about a 1 second window to see the camera car coming up on him. Prior to that, the car between them would have largely if not completely obscured that view. Hoping that the black 914 would see the camera car in that 1 second window is highly optimistic, and not one I'd count on if I were the passing car. This was a good opportunity for the passing car/driver to "present himself" (nose in, with an out in case the door is closed) and await an acknowledging move on the part of the 914 before proceeding to pass. And otherwise hang back.

Last edited by stownsen914; 04-18-2022 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Help a Rookie Manage Traffic - In Car Video