Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Fatigue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 02:29 AM
will968
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Mistakes start to add up when you're tired. I was running the club race at NJ last year when it was close to 100F and my Coolshirt wasn't working. It was towards the end of the race and I started to drift off and question if I could turn the steering wheel enough to make the next turn - no! Luckily I snapped out of it, recovered and finished the race at a slightly slower pace. It's amazing how much effort goes into running personal best type times. Back it off a little and everything is manageable.

Looking back, I didn't count the first error at T-1 as fatigue, just overcooked my entry or tires. I think this was the first real warning. I use a helmet drink tube and Koolbox AC unit, and that's generally all I use, but the heat that day was just too much in a front engine car. Didn't realize the shirt wasn't working until my friend questioned how I still had a lot of ice left. Figured it so hot that it wasn't having much effect. I since added passive outside air for my feet, forced for the body - I was pulling air from inside before.

First part of that race was entertaining
The following users liked this post:
911Königin (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 08:30 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
ISometimes an organizer will have a 40 minute on track block..... but that's definitely going to have a 10 minute debrief in the pits, or we'll swap drivers and I'll show how i'd do something (which is how its usually designed if there is that much track time in one big lump).
Chin , had ( still has ?) a 45 minute block for each run group for the first session .

For me 20 minutes is almost too short . 30 is too long . 23 minutes is optimal for me .
The following 2 users liked this post by ANGST:
911Königin (05-25-2022), ProCoach (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 09:05 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 772 Likes on 505 Posts

I think it was Tony Funicello at an instructor seminar who was the first person I heard say if you make 3 mistakes in a lap you need to stop and do a self assessment. Wise advice over the years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
911Königin (05-25-2022), mglobe (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:27 AM
PUNKT2
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ANGST
Chin , had ( still has ?) a 45 minute block for each run group for the first session .

For me 20 minutes is almost too short . 30 is too long . 23 minutes is optimal for me .
Chin sessions are 30 minutes each, other than happy hour at the end which is an hour.
911Königin (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:34 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNKT2
Chin sessions are 30 minutes each, other than happy hour at the end which is an hour.
No, actually the first session of each day is 40 or 45 minutes.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:50 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Pedialyte is excellent. If you don't have any but have Gatorade, always mix it 50-50 with water.
+1 for this. I’ve always thought Gatorade was too concentrated and mixing it 50/50 with water makes it much easier to drink in the quantities I need during a track day.

I also make it a point to bring up in the classroom sessions so all the novices who don’t know yet are made aware as early in the weekend as possible. Whether they listen or not, who knows…
911Königin (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
+1 for this. I’ve always thought Gatorade was too concentrated and mixing it 50/50 with water makes it much easier to drink in the quantities I need during a track day.

I also make it a point to bring up in the classroom sessions so all the novices who don’t know yet are made aware as early in the weekend as possible. Whether they listen or not, who knows…
Regular Gatorade has a huge amount of sugar in it, which can dehydrate the body and negate the effect of the additional electrolytes. Diluting it with water enables it to absorb better without dehydration, so the electrolytes can go to work immediately
911Königin (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:57 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Regular Gatorade has a huge amount of sugar in it, which can dehydrate the body and negate the effect of the additional electrolytes. Diluting it with water enables it to absorb better without dehydration, so the electrolytes can go to work immediately
Gatorade Zero doesn't have the sugar. I believe you know my favorite flavor, yes? lol
Old 05-24-2022, 11:43 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Gatorade Zero doesn't have the sugar. I believe you know my favorite flavor, yes? lol

Gatorade has no flavors , only colors
Old 05-24-2022, 11:54 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by ANGST
Gatorade has no flavors , only colors

ANGST (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 12:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Old 05-24-2022, 12:59 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts

Some great posts in this thread.

Back in '08 I was an executive in a start-up that was attempting to develop a technology that we felt could be commercialized into a device to easily measure human hydration. With my background it was easy to identify the world's experts on heat stress and hydration in several fields, including sports medicine, occupational medicine and geriatric medicine. I took a very comprehensive approach-- I had to be an expert since I was helping to raise necessary venture funds.

One of the world's experts is Larry Armstrong, Ph.D. He validated urine color as a marker for hydration status. Larry was an advisor to our start-up.

What I learned certainly helped me as a driver and racer. As I climbed the curve, here are some of the things I learned and the habits I adopted:

The core science and the leading researchers across many areas of medicine in this area of physiology and human performance are tightly clustered.

So those focused on say forest fighting and mining, have a relationship with those that study hockey goalies.

Gatorade is not just sugar water. I engaged with the Gatorade sports science people (GSSI) and they are very serious scientists.

There are a variety of things one can drink to help ensure euhydration and proper electrolytic balance. Of course it is important to consider both of these states, as the avoidance of hyponatremia must also be carefully considered.

Caffeine does not cause dehydration.

I learned to lower my temperature at various times throughout each day via cool showers, which are accessible at many track facilities. For any race or qualifying session where ambient was around ~75-80 degrees or above, this involved a 15 minute shower about 30-40 minutes before the time I needed to be in the car and headed to grid. I would change into my gladiator suit right after the shower.

I also did this when I was doing testing on warmer days.

And of course this also helped when I was instructing.

Compromised performance from inadequate hydration and non-optimized electrolytic balance can also affect one on the drive or tow home.

For those around "half way," it can be helpful to know that our natural urge to drink has a curve shape that is not in our favor as we get older. So take that into account.

Cardiovascular health, heat stress and hydration are all important considerations, even if we are just driving in DE events. I always advise both men and women above say about 40 that are active in the hobby to consider conversations with their HCPs. I encourage folks to at least consider the same types of periodic assessments required by sanctioning bodies for wheel-to-wheel licenses. If nothing else this process can start conversations and keep them ongoing.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 05-24-2022 at 01:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mahler9th:
911Königin (05-25-2022), Matt Romanowski (05-24-2022), Zhao (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 04:45 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Emergen-C is great for hydration and comes in packets perfect for a typical bottle of water.

Maybe I'll never be the winner some of you are and lack what it takes to be a consitent winner. I'm a mid-packer at Runoffs and hold some class division trophies and a lap record or two but only out there to have fun. If I won every SCCA clubrace I'm sure I'm still not getting a ride for Ferrari. I have a different theory about racing and fitness and fatigue. We should not have any fatigue. I understand why you must be fit in a racecar that can turn 5G 's or porpoises down a track at 200mph and slams your spine. I do not understand why we need anymore than regular Joe fitness for most of us who race a 1G door slammer. When I was young I exited my car after a race in sweet, shaking from adrenaline rush, and arms and pects fatigued from manhandling the steering wheel. I was not alone. On a hot day I see other racers almost collapse out of their cars! As I got older I got smarter. Racing 1G cars is a chess game. I do everything I can to calm myself and calculate as I race. I'm using age and treachery to beat youth and speed. I wear a cool suit but always want to exit my car with minimal sweet and slow relaxed breathing. If I'm wiped out after a race I'm trying too hard! If my arms are sore the next day I wack myself on the back of my head and tell myself to calm down for today's race. I want light fast hands to feel the car through my seat. I'm also not shy to quit when I have had enough. Those in Florida know how hot it can get. I was travel racing with a new set of guys and came into the hotpit after 2/3rds of a race. Our Crew chief is running at me yelling what is wrong with the car? I told him my cool suit stopped working and I was getting hot! He laughed and I got a reputation that follows me around to this day.
911Königin (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 01:20 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

I know that the Enduro is named for what it is, but I do think that one 5 minute break is not enough.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:36 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Some great posts in this thread.

Back in '08 I was an executive in a start-up that was attempting to develop a technology that we felt could be commercialized into a device to easily measure human hydration. With my background it was easy to identify the world's experts on heat stress and hydration in several fields, including sports medicine, occupational medicine and geriatric medicine. I took a very comprehensive approach-- I had to be an expert since I was helping to raise necessary venture funds.

One of the world's experts is Larry Armstrong, Ph.D. He validated urine color as a marker for hydration status. Larry was an advisor to our start-up.

What I learned certainly helped me as a driver and racer. As I climbed the curve, here are some of the things I learned and the habits I adopted:

The core science and the leading researchers across many areas of medicine in this area of physiology and human performance are tightly clustered.

So those focused on say forest fighting and mining, have a relationship with those that study hockey goalies.

Gatorade is not just sugar water. I engaged with the Gatorade sports science people (GSSI) and they are very serious scientists.

There are a variety of things one can drink to help ensure euhydration and proper electrolytic balance. Of course it is important to consider both of these states, as the avoidance of hyponatremia must also be carefully considered.

Caffeine does not cause dehydration.

I learned to lower my temperature at various times throughout each day via cool showers, which are accessible at many track facilities. For any race or qualifying session where ambient was around ~75-80 degrees or above, this involved a 15 minute shower about 30-40 minutes before the time I needed to be in the car and headed to grid. I would change into my gladiator suit right after the shower.

I also did this when I was doing testing on warmer days.

And of course this also helped when I was instructing.

Compromised performance from inadequate hydration and non-optimized electrolytic balance can also affect one on the drive or tow home.

For those around "half way," it can be helpful to know that our natural urge to drink has a curve shape that is not in our favor as we get older. So take that into account.

Cardiovascular health, heat stress and hydration are all important considerations, even if we are just driving in DE events. I always advise both men and women above say about 40 that are active in the hobby to consider conversations with their HCPs. I encourage folks to at least consider the same types of periodic assessments required by sanctioning bodies for wheel-to-wheel licenses. If nothing else this process can start conversations and keep them ongoing.
Great comments. In the reading I’ve done on hydration and particularly related to electrolyte replacement, my recollection is that adding sugar to the liquid speeds up the absorption of the electrolytes.

Woth respect to sugar free fluids I’d beware of artificial sweeteners. Ever notice how quickly diet drinks hit the bladder? The fake sweeteners can irritate the bladder and increase the frequency of urination. Pound down a can of Diet Coke on your next road trip and see how long it takes you to need to stop at the next gas station.

Quick Reply: Driver Fatigue