Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Le Circuit Mount Tremblant down for the count?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 11:32 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

I just returned Europe, from racing the Wold Cup at Cadwell Park in the UK. There was a 107 dB sound restriction, and all cars had a microphone put to the tailpipe and had to get received a windshield sticker of passing the restriction limit.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:53 AM
jjaisli
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 43 Posts

Just figured I would mention, despite the low (money losing) attendance, the Boston BMW group has decide to push forward with their late July event.

Registration and Event Details (click)

I'm told less than 30 students total are currently registered. So it's looking like a lot of good, solid track time for those that can make it.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:11 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 208 Posts

I registered but cancelled because my mechanic said there's no way my GT3 gen 2 could pass the decibel limits. Suspect a lot of guys would like to have gone but the noise limits prevented them.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:27 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
I was really hoping to get to this track before this happened... Bummed...
Many track days at this track still. They just cancelled a few events. I recommend going fast though. May not last long and it's one of the best tracks in North America. IMO
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-25-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 10:36 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

ELange0322….another victim of the Tremblant sound police.
Hope you get it sorted and see you up here again soon!!
Old 06-28-2022, 10:46 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

I believe Tremblant has a noise limit of 92 db, pretty quiet. For comparison, Lime Rock has 88 db limit for PCA, 86 for most others. It's the quietest I know of.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:15 AM
jjaisli
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 43 Posts

I just figured I would post an update here. I was up at LCMT in early August with BMW CCA. I had a turn down pipe extension covered with mesh fitted over the rear exhaust and I was hoping it would be enough. Wrong. I got black flagged on my first flying lap while I was still effectively warming up tires and fluids. I was told 92.3 dBA. I figured I may be close so I got some steel wool, removed the mesh, shoved a big wad into each individual tail pipe and put the mesh back, adjusting the angle so it was pointing almost straight down. The next session I went out there and just took it easy: short shifting around 4500 pm, avoiding full throttle, backing off along the front straight where we know there is a microphone, etc. (There is another mic somewhere else on the track but I'm not sure where). On the 3rd lap I started to open up a bit and immediately got black flagged again. 92.8 dBA that time. I knew I was done for the day. On a side note, for taking it very easy, putting around and short shifting and backing off, not to mention avoiding wild turkeys on the back straight, a 2:04 is a pretty respectable time. LOL

A buddy of mine, and my first instructor at LCMT about 8 years ago, is now racing in a Canadian touring car series. He had his race car there (for promotional purposes) and quickly had it tech'd and told me to take his car out (that was my first time driving a 300+hp FWD car) with a competition clutch and limited slip differential. And as I was about to go out, he tells me the tries only have about 15 psi, take it easy for the first 2-3 laps until they build up pressure but you'll know when they grip. LOL Great Well, it didn't last three laps. I got black flagged again but it's because the track has a ridiculous rule that if you get black flagged twice, even if it's for noise regulation breach, the DRIVER is technically done, not the car. And they recognized me by my helmet.

When I pitted in and told him, he wasn't too happy and went to talk to the marshals. But the following session he took the car out himself and was ALSO black flagged for noise. It was a low overcast day and I think atmospheric conditions were contributing to the problem. Another driver in a stock Z06 C7 was also hit, as was a driver in a GT4 also with stock exhaust. Both had been there before and didn't have any issues.

I finally went out later that day riding shotgun in somebody else's car for a group ISG exercise and he got a check engine light and his M3 went into limp mode before we completed the first lap. (I'm almost beginning to think I'm just a bad luck magnet).

So if I head back to Mont Tremblant next year it looks like I'll be bringing the "stock" 981 Cayman S. And taking it easy.

Last edited by jjaisli; 08-30-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:32 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

I've had issues with every car I've ever taken up to Mt Tremblant. One car stripped the woodruff key on the crank pulley, another brand new car broke a motor mount, which allowed the engine wiring harness to move and threw it into limp home mode, last car smoked the brake pads.
I'm nowhere near that track anymore but at this point whatever car I'd bring would have to be trailered. Now the sound thing, even with a stock exhaust I'm not sure I'd pass that....
Old 08-30-2022, 10:37 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I've had issues with every car I've ever taken up to Mt Tremblant. One car stripped the woodruff key on the crank pulley, another brand new car broke a motor mount, which allowed the engine wiring harness to move and threw it into limp home mode, last car smoked the brake pads.
I'm nowhere near that track anymore but at this point whatever car I'd bring would have to be trailered. Now the sound thing, even with a stock exhaust I'm not sure I'd pass that....
others can chime in Doc, but pretty sure stock exhaust on your 6tt would be fine soundwise, and otherwise as well.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:32 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

We were told by our 944 series group that they tested a Dynomax 17715 muffler on numerous cars and it passed the 92db sound rule ...
Now , will it work on other cars , maybe but i can't confirm this.
What i can confirm though , is that most if not all the 944's running at the Fall Classic next month will be fitted with that specific muffler in order to pass sound
i'm even going to prepare various adaptations of turndown extensions just in case.

Cheers
Phil
Old 08-30-2022, 01:45 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
We were told by our 944 series group that they tested a Dynomax 17715 muffler on numerous cars and it passed the 92db sound rule ...
Now , will it work on other cars , maybe but i can't confirm this.
What i can confirm though , is that most if not all the 944's running at the Fall Classic next month will be fitted with that specific muffler in order to pass sound
i'm even going to prepare various adaptations of turndown extensions just in case.

Cheers
Phil
Wait, the fall classic is a muffled event?
Old 08-30-2022, 02:59 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Everything at Tremblant is a muffled event from now on ... the 92db sound rule will be stritcly applied to all vehicles !
I'm going from a Stahl header straight through to the back , to something with a muffler from now on ...
No more unmuffled events , just wondering how they will hold the Legends Summit next year ?

I got the notification by email with the registration for the Fall Classic that all vehicles must comply with the 92db sound rule.

Cheers
Phil
Old 08-30-2022, 03:02 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

This ...
ATTN: ALL COMPETITORS

An important update on the 2022 Fall Classic at Circuit Mont Tremblant

Fall Classic preparation under way!
In response to the recent news and the status of racing activities at Circuit Mont Tremblant WE CAN ONLY SAY NO CHANGES, with one exception:
effective now, all race cars will need to be fitted with a muffler to avoid exceeding the 92dBA noise restrictions at the track.

Using the numerous years of experience of Club CMT members’ GT cars as reference and the recent independent testing of previous Classic entrants we are confident the greater majority of race cars can achieve lower levels than 92dBA.

Thanks to all of you who have offered support and participated in the testing. We hope to count on your continued support.

We are preparing the Fall Classic on September 23-24-25, 2022 as originally planned for all categories.
Watch for more details and your invitation to register next week.

Keith Blatz

kblatz@lecircuit.com

www.lecircuit.com
bur: 819.425.5700
Old 08-30-2022, 03:04 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

More detailed ...

REGISTRATION OPEN FOR THE FALL CLASSIC: SEPTEMBER 23-24-25, 2022The Fall Classic will be a three (3) day event (September 23-24-25) with an optional test day for competitors on (Thursday, September 22).

NOISE RESTRICTIONS:
All race cars are required to be fitted with a muffler and pass a compulsory static test at the circuit prior to going on track.
Static testing will be conducted in the paddock (false grid) on Wednesday-Thursday and Friday (see the static testing time).

Static tests and dynamic noise levels will be measured up to a maximum of 92 dBA using a Larson-Davis 851C Sound Meter. This is the officially recognized device and its results will be final. Be sure to read the attached rules and procedures on all NOISE RESTRICTIONS. Failure not to have read these is no excuse.

To set up your own test in advance:
a) use a quality sound meter
b) set up 15m away from the car and measure perpendicular to the race car
c) be sure you take you readings at full revs

PLEASE NOTE: It is no guarantee that your personal test passes the track static test.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:13 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Everything at Tremblant is a muffled event from now on ... the 92db sound rule will be stritcly applied to all vehicles !
I'm going from a Stahl header straight through to the back , to something with a muffler from now on ...
No more unmuffled events , just wondering how they will hold the Legends Summit next year ?

I got the notification by email with the registration for the Fall Classic that all vehicles must comply with the 92db sound rule.

Cheers
Phil
This is awful.

Quick Reply: Le Circuit Mount Tremblant down for the count?