Best class for PCA racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 09:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
per Luigis point... Someone dig out the video of the Cupcar 1st lap incident at the hairpin a few years ago at Sebring 48..... with that guy going up the right side and taking everyone out.... food for thought.....
Ah, yes. The IMSA driver on a provisional license...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
FredC (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 01:48 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

A single car running in SCCA and PCA is a challenge, unfortunately. Cup cars are about the best option for competitiveness in both series. A lot of $$$$. Most everything else that has car counts in PCA is not classed well in SCCA. SPB, SPC, GTB and 911Cup are all terrific options for PCA less so for SCCA. That's why two is better than one! Especially when one is a SM.

And yes I'll be back in PCA as soon as someone makes a set of torsion bars.

Last edited by RobT 394; 07-02-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:11 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

What torsion bars do you need?

Originally Posted by RobT 394
A single car running in SCCA and PCA is a challenge, unfortunately. Cup cars are about the best option for competitiveness in both series. A lot of $$$$. Most everything else that has car counts in PCA is not classed well in SCCA. SPB, SPC, GTB and 911Cup are all terrific options for PCA less so for SCCA. That's why two is better than one! Especially when one is a SM.

And yes I'll be back in PCA as soon as someone makes a set of torsion bars.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:55 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,687 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by mobius911
If you want a car that can run in two race org's, then Spec Miata. Run it in SCCA and NASA. That will give you the most shots on goal for race weekends, and it fits most of your other preferences.
Only downside to spec miata is incidents are very high, but they're usually low speed low risk incidents because high speed and miata is an oxymoron.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:22 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Only downside to spec miata is incidents are very high, but they're usually low speed low risk incidents because high speed and miata is an oxymoron.
Did you see the Road America spec miata crash? Wow......big one. Just shows no matter how fast the car can go, there is always a chance of a really bad crash.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:42 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

+1 It was nasty.

@Don replied via PM
Old 07-05-2022, 04:49 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusdriver
I’m also curious if most PCA racers are supported by teams. It seems that if you want to run SRO, MX5 cup, Radical Cup, Ferrari Challenge, etc you have to pay up for team support to run at the pointy end. I don’t see this at SCCA. Lots of guys come with their own truck/trailer.
With every PCA race weekend the number of independents seem to be decreasing. When I decided to build my SPB I thought that the group would be a bunch of DIY guys like myself, however, I'm in the minority. Some show up at the track after having flown in and are truly arrive and drive racers. However, there is also a large number of racers who trailer their race cars to the track but then park with the teams for support, so at least a couple of options to consider.

I enjoy being an independent at the track, but it is more stressful if you have issues. That's what I like about my SPB, I show up, add gas, swap tires, drink and tell lies. If I do have issues I've been able to find the parts from other racers or teams. Make friends and they will help with major issues. If push comes to shove, many of the teams will work on your car if they have time and you supply the $$$. It also helps if you befriend them first.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:46 PM
KevinA
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Another vote for SPB.
Lots cheaper than a Cup car (both acquisition and running cost), and typically large fields which mean you will always have someone to race against.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:45 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
With every PCA race weekend the number of independents seem to be decreasing. When I decided to build my SPB I thought that the group would be a bunch of DIY guys like myself, however, I'm in the minority. Some show up at the track after having flown in and are truly arrive and drive racers. However, there is also a large number of racers who trailer their race cars to the track but then park with the teams for support, so at least a couple of options to consider.

I enjoy being an independent at the track, but it is more stressful if you have issues. That's what I like about my SPB, I show up, add gas, swap tires, drink and tell lies. If I do have issues I've been able to find the parts from other racers or teams. Make friends and they will help with major issues. If push comes to shove, many of the teams will work on your car if they have time and you supply the $$$. It also helps if you befriend them first.
I really like SPB class. Easy car to work on, good close racing and a great bunch of folks to hang around with. Out here in Northern California we have a lot of SPB DIYers. We wrench on each other’s cars to make sure we can all keep racing. There’s a friendly rivalry with the arrive and drive racers and their shops.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:28 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
What torsion bars do you need?
Hey Don: Rob is looking for the largest t-bars possible and those that fit on a G-50 car.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:39 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Top-of-the-line SPB ready to go racing tomorrow. Price negotiable.
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1292970
Old 07-06-2022, 11:56 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Here is the list of what I have available for a G50 car. Not a great selection.

Hollow torsion Bars 31mm used 2 ea Sway-a-way
Hollow torsion Bars 23mm used 2 ea Sway-a-way
Torsion Bar 19mm factory used 2 ea
Torsion Bar 25mm factory used 2 ea
Torsion Bar 20mm factory used

Old 07-06-2022, 02:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I know a fair number of folks who chose the class that they race in PCA and elsewhere because they like the people they’re going to be racing with. That’s a better reason than many to pick a specific class car.
tgsmith4845 (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 04:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I know a fair number of folks who chose the class that they race in PCA and elsewhere because they like the people they’re going to be racing with. That’s a better reason than many to pick a specific class car.
That plus the car count in your part of the world.

with respect to prior comments on track support, once you use it you will never go back. Not having to work between sessions to get the car ready/running makes a huge difference for me. I should note though that I’m not exactly the worlds greatest mechanic.

As far as support in the commercial/pro series out there, I can only comment directly on MX-5 Cup where having support is required by the series. You HAVE to have someone on the radio with you and with race control. It’s a requirement. You have to go through tech each day. You have to deliver clean wheels to BFG to get your stickers for the weekend. The series requires you provide your data to them…. There are one-car teams out there, but they are typically a driver, crew chief, and one more paid or volunteer assistants.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:35 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
That plus the car count in your part of the world.

with respect to prior comments on track support, once you use it you will never go back.
I would love to have a chicken sandwich delivered during my pitstops since I don't have to take fuel.
mglobe (07-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Best class for PCA racing