Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CG Lock - Anybody holding and general questions about seatbelt tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 08:57 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 482 Posts
Default CG Lock - Anybody holding and general questions about seatbelt tensioners

Hi - I 'm in a street car for the moment with three points; a dedicated track car is in the cards in the next year or two. I was recently introduced to the concept of the CG lock and seat belt tensioners in general. First question - are they useful as a stopgap until I have proper seats and harnesses? The concept makes sense. Second question - anyone have a CG lock they'd be willing to sell (please PM;there is one old classifieds listing I have responded to). Third question - people have recommended various tensioners marketed for kids' car seats as an alternative. There is a bewildering variety of them available online - can anyone link to a specific one that has worked for them? Last question - any downside from a safety perspective to using one on the track? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:22 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

When I got back into tracking about 15 years ago I ran a CG Lock in my Cayman S with stock seats. It certainly improved the seating but it is not nearly as good as a proper seat and 5 or 6 piece harnesses.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:56 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

like most half measures this is likely to hurt as help IMO.

Last edited by tgibrit; 08-05-2022 at 10:49 AM. Reason: incorrect info
Old 08-05-2022, 10:36 AM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Idamelio,
I have a CG lock for sale on Pelican. Here's the listing.
Just to clarify, the CG Lock operates on the lap portion of the belt so it can be pre-tensioned to help hold you in place. The shoulder belt tensioning is unaffected.

Bill,
I had the same experience. The CG Lock helped when using the stock seat and 3-point, but cannot compare with a proper seat and harness.

tgibrit,
Hope your friend is recovering well.

The following users liked this post:
aryork (07-16-2023)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:37 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I have and use them on both seats in the GTS. They do work as advertised and help hold you better in the seat. For me the key is they lock the lap belt in tight and the shoulder harness works as normal. This combined with the 18ways let’s me get a fairly tight seat and minimizes movement in a street seat. Works well in the mountains and on track.

Not the same obviously as a real racing seat and harness.
Kaybat (10-16-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:47 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Dawson
Idamelio,
tgibrit,
Hope your friend is recovering well.
thanks, yes fully recovered but scary at the time. convinced me that there are no half measures when it comes to safety. I have not used a seat belt lock, and it appears I am mistaken around the seat belt tensioning for the shoulder, I think a combination of using the car's seat belt tension lock and the lap belt lock "can" create a rotational force if an accident occurs - pure speculation from me.

however when vehicles are crash tested to assess safety it is based on the standard seat belt system and no OEM locks the lap belt to improve safety.

Last edited by tgibrit; 08-05-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:09 PM
Estoril
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

I used one before I had seats/harnesses/cage. They work fine for what they are meant to do: Hold you more securely in the seat. If you want the shoulder belt to lock - you can do the old "put the seat back for ~4-5 seconds, tension lock the shoulder segment and then put the seat forward the same number of seconds (this pre-dates the CG Lock).

I have two versions: the standard and the Instructor version. The latter installs/comes out more quickly so you can move it between cars.

If you buy new from CG Lock, I may have a discount code somewhere.
steveP911 (08-07-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 05:41 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,377 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I used a CG lock when I first started driving on track. My thought is that a CG Lock is SAFER because it keeps your butt in the seat firmer and thus gives you more car control.

What I am not a fan of it full harnesses attached to a harness bar without at least a half cage. If you roll and the roof gets caved in you have no chance to roll you head and upper body out of the way.

My CG Lock is long gone - who knew they would be collector's items?
ldamelio (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 06:13 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I have one available if anyone is looking

Thanks,
Dave
ldamelio (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 06:54 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Estoril
If you buy new from CG Lock, I may have a discount code somewhere.
They haven't sold them for several years now; small volume sales that apparently didn't justify production costs. Hence my ask to you guys. Returned a couple of PMs, thanks.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:29 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Some of our customers use the torso strap. Inexpensive way to keep you held in the seat if you are bracing your legs in turns.

Here's the link:

Torso strap

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 08-06-2022, 08:38 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Had one, like others, as I invested in safety, I sold it off a few years back. better than nothing, but clearly a half measure.

Another "trick" is to lock the belt (quick tug to get the centrifugal force to lock the belt on the spool) and then adjust the seat forward to pull tight into the seat. Easier to do as a passenger/Instructor in the right seat were placement can be more variable. Note - You will lose the "play" in the seatbelt before engagement in high G-force deceleration. It can be tricky to do and has to be done with the end position in mind, may take some trial and error to get it when it works for your seat position.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:00 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 218 Posts

I have a CG Lock that I used a couple years ago for AX and initial HPDE. I found it dug into my hip front area after a while so I took it off. Like two others in this thread (Estoril and Kein), I use the electric seat adjustment to help wrap me in pretty firmly with my three point belt. It takes a few tries the first time, but I find it pretty easy to do while waiting in the grid. My other two cents would be to advise HPDE folks with 3 point belts to invest in the Simpson Hybrid S HANS (https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mpson-hybrid-s). I would not drive a street 3-point car on a track without one - maybe that's just me. But, this is my second full season in HPDE and I am pretty sure I will next head down the bar/seats/harnesses/HANS path this winter. Always looking to up the safety ante but I also want to resolve my body stability aspect for better feel of the car and steering control.

On that note, if anyone can point me to good links for this upgrade I would really appreciate it. I know there are many opinions, but I'm hoping to find a nice approach for my 997.1S. No, I can't swing the GT seats. I wish.

Steve
Kein_Ersatz (08-09-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 06:33 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Yes, OP here. Hybrid S a must with three point belts. After my first weekend when I realized I was hooked, it was the first thing I purchased. There are things worse than death, and quadriplegia is at the top of the list. I would not get on the track without one. It might be a deterrent to participation, but I would suggest that they be required for HPDE in street cars and for instructors in street cars.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:37 AM
ruth
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If looking at a CGLock, check the thickness of where it is attached. Some of the newer seatbelts are too thick, and the CGLock will not firmly connect with the part it needs to.

Quick Reply: CG Lock - Anybody holding and general questions about seatbelt tensioners