Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nankang CR-S feedback (vs AR-1, 991.2 GT3)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 01:49 PM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 824 Likes on 458 Posts
Default Nankang CR-S feedback (vs AR-1, 991.2 GT3)

Just completed the first few hundred miles and track day 1 with the Nankang CR-S, fresh on the heels of a successful 3,000+ miles and 6 track days with the Nankang AR-1. Thought I'd share some initial impressions in case anyone is considering.

Background is I've run both the OE Cup 2 and SMR2 on my 6MT 991.2 GT3, then moved to AR-1, now CR-S. Car has stock wheels, RSL 1 & RSL 29 pads front & rear, fluid, alignment, Sharkwerks muffler. No other component or setup changes alongside the exchange of AR-1 for CR-S.

Was motivated to try the CR-S over AR-1 for two reasons, primary being it's rainy season in S. Florida. No surprise, found the AR-1 a compromised wet weather performer, no matter the state of treadwear. Secondary motivation, a bit of a reprieve from AR-1 road noise/sometimes agonizing acoustics.

Straightaway found the CR-S much quieter on road. Much of the time the AR-1 was about on par with engine noise and Sharkwerks muffler. CR-S road noise is on a level with what I remember of the Cup 2 and SMR2. Engine & muffler again dominate the audio situation.

CR-S fills out the stock GT3 wheels better than the AR-1, less of a stretched look, especially on the rear outside sidewall.

Like my 2nd track day with the AR-1, morning rain meant session 1 with the CR-S was full wet. Took no time to recognize the CR-S is a much more capable wet weather performer. AR-1 aquaplanes with standing water, did not experience the same with CR-S. Just a much more consistent, connected tire in the wet. Also hit some rain on the highway trip home, once again, all good. Maybe not quite as strong as Cup 2 or SMR2 (and surely not PS4S) on wet roads, I'd have to run them back to back, but capable enough to not go careening into the Everglades and that's all I was hoping for.

Track comparison info/data:

Track day 1 for both AR-1 and CR-S at Homestead Miami (infield config), so a strong basis for comparison. However, AR-1 was November conditions, CR-S just now (August). Wasn't a cool day back in November with the AR-1, but certainly better objective performance conditions than yesterday -- 104 heat index, sauna humidity, nearly full sun for all dry sessions. Morning rain wouldn't have helped track conditions either. Properly sweltering. Torturous for driver, car, brakes, tires, but per usual with the GT3 only one of those variables complained. (Remarkable automobile.)

Went with AR-1 track protocol for the CR-S. Cold pressures about 26-27 psi for both front and rear. As with AR-1, noted increased pressure accumulation on the street with CR-S vs OEs.

- Mostly wet session 1 pressures only increased to about 30 psi. Bled a couple psi.
- Drying conditions in session 2, got up to mid 30s psi. As with AR-1, found the CR-S don't want to perform above about 35 psi, happiest low 30s on the GT3. Bled psi accordingly with low 30s hot as target.
- Achieved low 30s hot in every session thereafter, just continued to bleed a psi or two throughout the day as required. (Some left vs right, front vs rear variance due to track configuration.)
- Like AR-1, CR-S are just flat out easy to use. Out lap and warm up lap building pace, then they're basically ready to rip. Aside from reading the tire feedback, about 30 psi seems to be a good reference point for me -- warm up laps to 30 psi then go.
- Once target pressures achieved, found CR-S consistent and equipped for multiple runs at a hot lap intrasession. Final session of the day I was passenger free and with a mostly clear track, able to string together a few laps -- four laps within <3/10ths variance. Got good runs on laps 3-4-5, then some traffic, so took a cool down lap, then one more just off the session best before calling it quits for the day. CR-S and car could have kept going, driver had enough.

Here's the data trace vs. AR-1 -- AR-1 in black, CR-S in blue. Final lap time difference was +0.59 (slower) for the CR-S.

Disregard the big spread in T1 where I was experimenting with approaches (infinitesimal difference, as it turns out…). AR-1 looks to have the edge in minimum corner speed just about everywhere. Yesterday's unfavorable conditions also show in the acceleration data. Even where I was earlier to power with the CR-S -- again, blue trace -- the AR-1 trace catches by about the top of 3rd and then takes over in 4th.

Seat of the pants difference, the AR-1 gave the GT3 a positive front end and strong, upgraded initial turn in. Immediately perceptible and exploitable vs the OEs. The CR-S probably splits the difference between AR-1 and the OEs on this point, not quite the same front end "bite." AR-1 transitions from brake phase to turn in with immediacy, CR-S can't quite match that. Noticed it most in the T8 hairpin -- 133 mph into a hard brake zone for a 3X mph 180 degree corner. AR-1 was up a meaningful 2.2 mph min over the CR-S here, but also just more eager to transition braking to cornering, getting the front end turned around the hairpin. Track conditions likely also playing a role, brake zone and corner seemed ultra greasy, but even in equal ambient/track conditions believe this standout characteristic of the AR-1 would still be there vs CR-S.

Both tires very strong under threshold braking, but probably a slight edge to the AR-1. Same story for mid corner grip/roadholding, edge to AR-1.

My guess is that in equal track conditions, and assuming both laps could be equally improved, the CR-S might be just a few tenths off the AR-1's lap time here. Remarkable considering the major livability upsides of the CR-S. tbd whether the CR-S will have the same longevity as I found with the AR-1.

I've run numerous performance street and "R comps" on various platforms. NT01, Trofeo R, RE-71R, RS4, RS3, Supercar 3R, AD08, various spec Cup 2s, PS4S, Pilot Super Sports, P Zeros, Continental Extremecontacts, etc. If they can be driven to/from the track, probably tried them at some point.

Just from pure performance and experiential perspectives, favorable economics aside, these Nankang products are among the very best tires I've run. So easy to use and fast, wide operating window, just have to mind that upper psi limitation on the GT3. Between OE tire shortages and hyperinflated pricing, stoked to have these two Nankang options.

(No affiliation to manufacturer or U.S. dealer. Products are just deserving of positive feedback and exposure, giving credit where credit due.)

Last edited by ParadiseGT3; 08-23-2022 at 09:03 AM.
The following 15 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
CAinCA (08-22-2022), Captain_ (09-03-2023), daddyrabbit (01-20-2023), DHI (08-24-2022), Jake951 (08-21-2022), l30thelion (02-14-2024), Martin S. (08-23-2022), MattUF (11-15-2022), ProCoach (08-25-2022), sf_c63 (08-23-2022), Snyper886 (01-11-2023), Wes Bower (03-01-2023), WhoDat996tt (01-02-2023), ydd (08-31-2022), Z3papa (08-31-2022) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-21-2022, 09:25 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Great comparison! I run the AR-1's now with my 997 GT3 and have been pleasantly surprised how good they are on the track, especially for the money. But I have wondered about the CR-S for the very reasons you have mentioned (the AR-1's being very noisy on the street and not so good in the wet). Thanks for sharing your experience.
The following users liked this post:
ParadiseGT3 (08-22-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 06:21 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the detailed review. Please keep us posted on the wear rate vs. the other tires you mentioned.

I was thinking about the RT-660 for my next set but may give these a try if the life is good on them
ParadiseGT3 (08-23-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 03:20 PM
thewestwon
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a very similar experience to you with the AR-1 vs CR-S on my 991.1 GT3. Big fan of the CR-S and will likely to continue to run it for it's versatility compared to the AR-1 on rainy days and occasional trips around town. Both great tires, though.
ParadiseGT3 (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 06:18 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 635 Likes on 234 Posts

Amazing feedback and data to back it up.
ParadiseGT3 (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 07:04 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

What is good source to get them? https://philstireservice.com/
\
Old 08-24-2022, 07:08 PM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kisik
What is good source to get them? https://philstireservice.com/
\
Yep
Old 08-25-2022, 07:30 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Surprised there’s so little feedback on the Nankang CR-S offering. I’m currently loving the AR-1’s for the stiff sidewalls, fast to heat up, and consistency lap after lap. All this after many many many heat cycles.

If the CR-S has most of these attributes with wet traction and less tire roar then I’m all in!
Captain_ (09-03-2023)
Old 08-26-2022, 09:46 AM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sf_c63
Surprised there’s so little feedback on the Nankang CR-S offering. I’m currently loving the AR-1’s for the stiff sidewalls, fast to heat up, and consistency lap after lap. All this after many many many heat cycles.

If the CR-S has most of these attributes with wet traction and less tire roar then I’m all in!
That's my take so far! Hopefully others find the same. Clearing some garage space, thinking about a spare set of one or the other. No indication inventory will be problematic like OEs but these are keeping me rolling.

Cup 2 Connect or mismatched Cup 2 (non-N) specs are current options through tire rack. My backup 19" plan with Supercar 3R not possible right now either.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:55 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for the good write up. I have both the AR-1 and CR-s on different sets of wheels and I like both for different reasons.

CR-S

The CR-S is easy to live with and comes up in temp that on a wet track they get hot enough to stick where other tires struggle to build up heat. They are optimal after 1 warmup lap and before that they can be driven to 80% max speed on the first lap without a problem. The main problem is that after 6-7 laps they get very greasy and I find are harder to predict as they lose feel and make the car feel like it's on ice. My set has 18 heat cycles on them and there is still some thread which makes them in my book awesome for longevity. On my GT4 hot pressures around 33F-34R work best and wear is fairly equal. They are a good compromise for wet/dry and I'm considering making them my "wet" track day tire to replace the V601 on my stock wheels. In the dry I feel they are on par with Sport Cup 2s. Price is very fair.

AR-1

The AR-1 is annoying on the street until it is broken in at the track, then they quiet down a bit. They have 2-3 heat cycles of ultimate grip and then fall off for 2-3 more until they lose about 1-2 sec per lap to something close to Sport Cup 2 times. My current set, after 12 heat cycles, has barely any grooves left but somehow at this point I suspect I can get 12 more cycles before killing them. Not good in the rain, especially when worn out like mine which make them harder to drive to and from the track. The center of the tire tends to "pop" out if overinflated, and overinflated they get if you're not careful. Optimal pressures on my GT4 is 29F 30R. Anything above in the rear and the insides wear much much faster. Price/performance they cannot be beat and they will be my go-to dry track tire for the time being.

I'm glad we have manufacturers like Nankang to give us good, affordable, high performance alternatives to Michelin and Pirelli.
The following 3 users liked this post by Inrev:
Captain_ (09-03-2023), erliuic (03-21-2023), ParadiseGT3 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 08:44 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 175 Posts

Really appreciate the time and thoughtfulness put into this post. Great info and very helpful. A local track friend recently recommended the AR-1 to me as a good alternative to expensive and backordered Cup 2s. Based on your review, the CR-S may be the better option given that I drive 2 hours (Lime Rock) or 5 hours (WGI) to my local tracks. I’ll just have to wait until the CR-S is available in the 991RS sizes that fit my car. Thanks for posting.
The following 2 users liked this post by paradocs98:
lcjhnsn (09-05-2022), ParadiseGT3 (08-27-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 08:11 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
The AR-1 is annoying on the street until it is broken in at the track, then they quiet down a bit. They have 2-3 heat cycles of ultimate grip and then fall off for 2-3 more until they lose about 1-2 sec per lap to something close to Sport Cup 2 times. My current set, after 12 heat cycles, has barely any grooves left but somehow at this point I suspect I can get 12 more cycles before killing them. Not good in the rain, especially when worn out like mine which make them harder to drive to and from the track. The center of the tire tends to "pop" out if overinflated, and overinflated they get if you're not careful. Optimal pressures on my GT4 is 29F 30R. Anything above in the rear and the insides wear much much faster. Price/performance they cannot be beat and they will be my go-to dry track tire for the time being.
My experience with the AR-1 on my '07 GT3 is quite similar. Strangely, they do quiet down a bit after the first track day. I find the grip remains very consistent over many heat cycles, like the NT01, and I don't really notice much dropoff after day 1. However, I do have my tires heat cycled first at the supplier (Phil's Tire Service) and then I do the recommended initial heat cycling on the track. Perhaps that accounts for the consistency. I also like to keep the hot pressures no higher than 30 psi.

I never really had a good experience the the Cup 2's. The grip seems to fall off quite drastically after the first few heat cycles. It could be the version I was running (the N0 version) is not as good as the newer versions, but there is no other N-spec version available for my car. The Cup 2's are a much better street tire than the AR-1, and I think that's the compromise that goes along with these tires. The Cup 2's are much quieter and fairly decent in the rain.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:45 PM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Brief Nankang CR-S update after track day 2. Got in just two morning sessions before rain and lightning disrupted and cancelled most of the rest of the day. One of those where I probably should have just stayed home on the sim…

But anyways, more excellent performance out of the CR-S in dry & mixed/wet conditions. Still not good track conditions in the first couple of sessions but better than last time. Registered a 1:34.4 in both morning sessions. 0.3 quicker than day 1's best, and so just a 0.3 delta to AR-1 with all of the upsides previously described.

Looks like some other laps in the 1:34-1:35 range as well (consistent, predictable). Zero quality fall off perceived on day 2. Assuming AR-1 type experience from here on out but will update with anything "newsworthy."

sf_c63 (09-20-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 10:47 AM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Day 3 on Nankang CR-S and a long overdue visit back to beloved Sebring. First track day in months sub-90°, so driver and car eager to get after it.

Sebring is a one of a kind use case with its countless surface imperfections and variations. Despite being an objectively stickier, faster tire, was never able to improve on my best on OE Dunlops with the AR-1 here. With the dampers in stiff the car skittered and skipped too much over bumps and exit curbing. Dampers in street mode was a slightly better overall setting, but then the softer damper setting was out of sync with the super rigid AR-1 at various key points in the lap. Found AR-1 delta to Dunlop SMR2 slower by +0.3.

Which set up for a good test with the CR-S. My read of this tire on road and track so far is incrementally more sidewall compliance vs. AR-1, so went back to the stiff damper. Straightaway the tire and dampers felt in better sync, more like the SMR2 or Cup 2, although still not as compliant over exit curbing and through some bumpier sectors. (The excellent damper and OE tire specification tuning done at the ring really can be appreciated at Sebring.)

Went with the same pressures and use approach as Homestead, out lap and lap 2 building pace, then CR-S is ready to rip. They fire "on" with clarity, very confidence inspiring.

Session 3 (80° ambient) was able to best that Dunlop SMR2 time by -0.3 - 0.4 on consecutive laps, so personal bests. (This would be -0.6 - 0.7 vs. AR-1.)

In the afternoon session, full sun and up to 87°, track down about 1 second/lap but more consistency out of the CR-S.

For what it's worth, I think sticker Cup 2 or SMR2 are also be capable of delivering all these laps at Sebring, but probably not on day 3, and perhaps not over consecutive laps.

Conclusion reaffirmed, Nankang killed it with these tires. Better all-around versatility and Sebring performance vs. AR-1, CR-S will likely be my go-to from here on out. Rear tire wear looks optimum after track day 3 and ~1,200 overall miles as well.

The following 3 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
Captain_ (09-03-2023), DHI (10-08-2022), Wind911 (12-09-2023)
Old 10-14-2022, 04:40 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 633 Posts

I’m faster on CR-S than AR-1. Could be because 305 Ar-1 are stretched on 12 inch rim . Look more like 285. Whereas I can run a 325 CR-S, because they are available.

They are silent. The AR-1 was horrifically noisy. The AR-1 would also do laps around the rim, always throughing the balance out and causing vibration.

The CR-S is a far more refined and perfected AR-1. I am a huge fan, and would never run AR-1 again.

My GTS has M800 turbo’s and is GT2-RS Power levels.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
Captain_ (09-03-2023), ParadiseGT3 (10-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Nankang CR-S feedback (vs AR-1, 991.2 GT3)