Corsa Club?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 12:18 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 386 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Corsa Club?

Has anyone run one of their events (West Coast)?
Looks like they have some pretty affordable dates.
Thinking about Thunderhill on Sep 19th.
Any feedback?
Thanks!
Old 09-01-2022, 05:21 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

I’ll be there. Also running West the day before to make it a two-day event. I have a gray 997 with the bbs rims in my avatar and will be running a large #60 circle. Drop by and say hi.

They run a very relaxed and chill HPDE. I love running with them. Tend to be lower car count also.

On occasion they will be a little disorganized and have cars waiting to be let on the track, also feel like there are less flag workers out there. Also brings occasional beginners that don’t know paddock etiquette like not driving above 15 mph. Because of this I probably wouldn’t advice starting with one of their HPDE’s if you’re a total beginner - go with SpeedSF, NCRC, Speed Ventures etc. who also have knowledgeable instructors.

But as someone who as done 30+ HPDE’s they’re my favorite group to run with - primarily because it’s less marketed so they bring lower car counts

Since it’s on a Monday I’m expecting very low car count,

Last edited by sf_c63; 09-01-2022 at 05:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sf_c63:
greasem0nkey86 (09-01-2022), Nowanker (09-02-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 07:39 PM
greasem0nkey86
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've attended one of their events at Sonoma earlier this year.
It's ran by local SF Bay Area people I believe.
No issues with the org
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 12:22 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input!
I've dome about a zillion HPDEs, but always looking for opportunities.
'Slightly disorganized' and 'fewer corner workers' play pretty well with 'lower car counts' and 'budget friendly'.

Ran with Speed Ventures long ago at Buttonwillow.
Total chaos mixed with too many cars and too little on-track skill. It went far beyond a disaster.
I've heard they have their act together now.

Not sure I'll be there... debating doing the GGR weeekend 24-25 instead, to see some of my old time trial friends.
Leaning more toward the Corsa event ($$!), if I do it I'll stop by.
White 944, #288.
Steve
Old 04-10-2023, 12:33 AM
ard
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I just ran Sonoma with Corsa Club in Intermediate and I had an unsatisfactory experience and will not run with them again. The reasons are:

Low organizational effectiveness
  1. 10 and 5 minute calls to grid were haphazard - sometimes they announced them and sometimes they didn't although it became more consistent in the afternoon
  2. lack of familiarity with the track facilities - the staff were uninformed about the availability of air, for example to air up again for the drive home - not a huge deal but I perceived a general indifference
  3. no prorating lost time. They stick strictly to the printed schedule so if there is a mishap in the run group before yours and your session gets cut short because of that, well that's just the way it is.
  4. late start to almost every session. Nearly every session started late. I track my running costs (others may not) and I am at close to $9/min all-in and when being held on grid due to the sweepers or tow truck needing to go out, it gets annoying to watch 3 $20 waft out the window just like that especially if it happens during almost every session

Poor safety protocol
  1. Driver's meeting was cursory, no mention of passing rules by group, or blend lines when entering the track, or any emphasis on safety
  2. Allowing smoking in the paddock - this one was most alarming to me - a number of attendees were smoking in the paddock, despite there being many fuel canisters sitting on the ground. I pointed this out to a member of the event staff and asked them to make an announcement that smoking was prohibited in the paddock, but I didn't hear any announcement being made. I did tell the owners of the cars parked near me to not smoke in the vicinity and they were generally cooperative so I do not get the lackadaisical attitude of the organizers, which I think is inexcusable in this matter. It is really just a question when, not if, something happens IMO.
  3. Hardly any black flagging. As stated above, sessions started late because of offs and other mishaps - I saw the tow truck bring a car in after almost every session but it didn't seem hardly anyone was called into the hot pits
  4. Not enforcing paddock speed limits. Due in part I guess, the haphazard calls to grid, a number of drivers missed the calls and drove through the paddock area at well above reasonable speeds. Again, no one from the organizers batted an eye

I am mindful of not coming across as holier-than-though hand wringing but I have run with other organizations that run logistically better organized events and clamp down on safety violations which in my experience leads to sessions starting on time and everyone getting their fair share of the paid-for track time.

Hope this helps someone.
Nowanker (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 02:52 AM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

I was there yesterday and I think this is fair and accurate. My friend ran in intermediate and he was frustrated with the traffic and poor track etiquette (questionable passing). I think this is good perspective for anyone new to Sonoma Raceway or without a ton of track experience. You should share this feedback directly with Marck, they would want to hear it. There was one HPDE where they decided to allow F2, F3, and other open wheel vehicles running on track with Advanced and it was total chaos - they offered credit for anyone thst gave feedback.

There were only 10(!) cars in Advance group. An absolutely dream for me so I couldn’t be happier.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:33 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input, guys!
My experience with them at Thunderhill was generally good.
We also experienced delays starting some of our sessions, but the first was caused by the track itself, the second was for a tow (IIRC).
I actually prefer a group that sticks to the printed schedule, as long as they aren't regularly delayed.
I didn't see any really appalling behavior...

It's alarming to run with a group that has cars off frequently... offs happen, sure, but when it's commonplace that indicates poor organization.
And scary to be in the middle of.
I'll probably give them another try.
I'm not afraid to leave early if it seems too risky... rather write off half a day at the track than write off the car.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:39 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker

It's alarming to run with a group that has cars off frequently... offs happen, sure, but when it's commonplace that indicates poor organization.
And scary to be in the middle of.
I'll probably give them another try.
I'm not afraid to leave early if it seems too risky... rather write off half a day at the track than write off the car.
Wise words.....
Old 04-10-2023, 07:42 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

If I can't smoke in the paddock, then I'm out. That would be nuts.

And I don't even smoke

Cheers

Matt
dgrobs (04-10-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 02:55 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
If I can't smoke in the paddock, then I'm out. That would be nuts.

And I don't even smoke

Cheers

Matt
whatcha smokin’ these days?!
facelvega (04-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Corsa Club?