Sponsored by:

Run own car vs arrive and drive for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 09:14 PM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Look, I know you like to yank people's chains here on RL. Hell, I do as well! That's a big part of the fun of being here.

But if you want to suggest I should only drive my Cup in a race, and never just for the pure fun of it, you and I are just going to have to disagree.

That's like being married to a Victoria's Secret model and only having sex when you want to have a kid.

Where are your priorities?

Any opportunity to drive a cup car is a good time, regardless of DE or not. Sometimes it is fun to bring a gun to a knife fight
The following 5 users liked this post by pewpewpew3000:
9114609048 (10-01-2022), ldamelio (10-03-2022), LuigiVampa (10-01-2022), Mike Roblin (10-03-2022), ProCoach (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 09:37 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Look, I know you like to yank people's chains here on RL. Hell, I do as well! That's a big part of the fun of being here.

But if you want to suggest I should only drive my Cup in a race, and never just for the pure fun of it, you and I are just going to have to disagree.

That's like being married to a Victoria's Secret model and only having sex when you want to have a kid.

Well, I was yanking your chain....

You can drive your Cup Car anywhere you want.

But, I can't handle DE events with point-by requirements, only passing on the straights, guys that drive GT3 RS street cars terribly, etc. There is no point. Why would I waste engine and transmission hours on that?? That is what I said is ridiculous!

Now, open test days or track events with race groups with passing anywhere....that I can handle. But those are not DE events...
Old 10-01-2022, 09:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,695 Posts

I see more and more Cup cars at DE’s and track days. So what?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
LuigiVampa (10-01-2022), mike1111 (10-02-2022), Papamurphdog (10-03-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 09:55 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by winders

But, I can't handle DE events with point-by requirements, only passing on the straights, guys that drive GT3 RS street cars terribly, etc. There is no point. Why would I waste engine and transmission hours on that?? That is what I said is ridiculous!

Now, open test days or track events with race groups with passing anywhere....that I can handle. But those are not DE events...
OK, I thought you had lost your mind.

PCA's insurance requirements for DE require point-bys, but with CVR's black/white and instructor groups everyone drivers very heads up, and passes are 99% seamless. We have a bunch of Cups, as well as some very fast Clubsports and Caymans as well. Even the drivers in the old air-cooled cars know how to hustle and also know how to anticipate traffic.

It's funny how many people who race don't like DE, but for me it is more of a fun social thing, without the pressure of a race weekend.

I'm heading to WGI tomorrow to drive my 911Cup. Looking forward to getting to know the car a little better and I am counting the hours!
The following 4 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
9114609048 (10-01-2022), 9912B (10-08-2022), mike1111 (10-02-2022), R717 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:01 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

Factory Cup cage vs street car with no cage ??? I would choose cup car cage every day and with the way people are crashing at DE's well maybe more people should consider a cage

If you think people are driving bad on the street after COVID well multiply that x2 on the track

Red Mist has been renamed to COVID Fog

Last edited by Steve113; 10-03-2022 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stownsen914 (10-06-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 08:55 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Open passing with point by's here in RMR, it works well. OP, I do wonder if you'll be engaged with just doing DE's given your race experience and race pace....
Old 10-04-2022, 09:30 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by winders

ridiculous as usual
Old 10-05-2022, 09:09 AM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Open passing with point by's here in RMR, it works well. OP, I do wonder if you'll be engaged with just doing DE's given your race experience and race pace....
This actually is a great point and something I've been thinking about myself. Like others in this thread, I find point-bys stressful and greatly prefer just open passing everywhere. HPDEs I've done since getting deep into racing have been more like cheap test days. I think I'll probably end up doing a few arrive and drive HPDEs to see if I like it, and explore other things like rally and like formula vee
Old 10-05-2022, 09:57 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by pewpewpew3000
This actually is a great point and something I've been thinking about myself. Like others in this thread, I find point-bys stressful and greatly prefer just open passing everywhere. HPDEs I've done since getting deep into racing have been more like cheap test days. I think I'll probably end up doing a few arrive and drive HPDEs to see if I like it, and explore other things like rally and like formula vee
I think that depends on level. I'm a second year blue driver 22 days in, probably average talent if I'm honest with myself. At this level, I think point-bys keep everyone safe especially in turns. I can see how it would be different with more experience and (especially) running with guys you know and trust.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:00 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

In multi class racing, I routinely give (inside the car) point bys as faster class cars come up on me. Even in a race, driver to driver communication is a good thing. It lets the other driver know I see them and won’t unexpectedly turn into them, lets them know which side I’m expecting them to pass me on, and keeps both of us moving with as little disruption to our pace as possible… just like it should work in HPDEs.

Driving a miata in a multi class endurance race gives you lots of practice getting faster cars by you quickly.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:06 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
COVID Fog
Steve, I’m using this!!!!
😜
Old 10-06-2022, 08:41 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by pewpewpew3000
Originally Posted by CT_Peter
In multi class racing, I routinely give (inside the car) point bys as faster class cars come up on me. Even in a race, driver to driver communication is a good thing. It lets the other driver know I see them and won’t unexpectedly turn into them, lets them know which side I’m expecting them to pass me on, and keeps both of us moving with as little disruption to our pace as possible… just like it should work in HPDEs.

Driving a miata in a multi class endurance race gives you lots of practice getting faster cars by you quickly.
This.

Open passing passing involves trust and it takes a while to establish trust with other drivers. Communication relieves doubt and the absence of doubt makes for a faster execution of a move.

I have provided and received communications with other drivers during races and it benefits both drivers greatly. It is no different in a DE.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
9114609048 (10-06-2022), CT_Peter (10-07-2022), stownsen914 (10-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Run own car vs arrive and drive for HPDE