Run own car vs arrive and drive for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 09:52 PM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Run own car vs arrive and drive for HPDE

Hi all --

Wanted to see what you all think on this topic since I go back and forth on it for my plans for next season. I spent this season doing pretty much every WRL race and one HPDE weekend. WRL is great but it's a ton of money, time and heartbreak. I don't want to spend as much time or money next season so thinking of doing fewer races but doing more HPDE.

It'd probably be 6ish weekends across NJMP, WGI, LRP, Palmer and maybe VIR. For HPDE, is it more economical to do arrive and drive or get a car and drive it myself? I love raw cars, favorite car I've driven so far is a 991 cup car but that's overkill for HPDE. Space and current car market considerations mean the car would probably be something like a 981 GT4 or if the prices fall enough a 991 3RS. For arrive and drive I'd love to proper fully caged cars for safety.

Any of you go back and forth for HPDE? Which car did you end up settling on? For arrive and drive, anyone you like in the northeast?
Old 10-01-2022, 08:45 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by pewpewpew3000
Hi all --

Wanted to see what you all think on this topic since I go back and forth on it for my plans for next season. I spent this season doing pretty much every WRL race and one HPDE weekend. WRL is great but it's a ton of money, time and heartbreak. I don't want to spend as much time or money next season so thinking of doing fewer races but doing more HPDE.

It'd probably be 6ish weekends across NJMP, WGI, LRP, Palmer and maybe VIR. For HPDE, is it more economical to do arrive and drive or get a car and drive it myself? I love raw cars, favorite car I've driven so far is a 991 cup car but that's overkill for HPDE. Space and current car market considerations mean the car would probably be something like a 981 GT4 or if the prices fall enough a 991 3RS. For arrive and drive I'd love to proper fully caged cars for safety.

Any of you go back and forth for HPDE? Which car did you end up settling on? For arrive and drive, anyone you like in the northeast?
I would suggest SCDA
They provide Miata's, a great car to learn car control. Then migrate to next level. This is how Paul Newman became a world class race driver.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:55 AM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
I would suggest SCDA
They provide Miata's, a great car to learn car control. Then migrate to next level. This is how Paul Newman became a world class race driver.
I'm already in red groups and run within 1-2 sec of pros in the same car so would really like something faster for HPDE. Already did plenty of time in Miatas and agree 100% with you
Old 10-01-2022, 10:47 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I own my own car but use Speedsport Tuning in Danbury, CT for transport, support and storage. Not having to worry about dropping off or picking up a car from the shop, or getting to the track early to drop off a trailer, frees up a lot of time. It is a great hybrid. Sppedsport does an awesome job with everything, including the track support.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:28 PM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I own my own car but use Speedsport Tuning in Danbury, CT for transport, support and storage. Not having to worry about dropping off or picking up a car from the shop, or getting to the track early to drop off a trailer, frees up a lot of time. It is a great hybrid. Sppedsport does an awesome job with everything, including the track support.

Will check them out.. what car are you running and what's the extra cost of arrive and drive?

For full arrive and drive where I fly in and drive, I've got options from Miatas at about $2k/weekend, to TCR cars at $5k, clubsports for $8k and Cups for ~$12k, so trying to decide. Racing is at least twice that obviously

Last edited by pewpewpew3000; 10-01-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:47 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

For full arrive and drive where I fly in and drive, I've got options from Miatas at about $2k/weekend, to TCR cars at $5k, clubsports for $8k and Cups for ~$12k, so trying to decide. Racing is at least twice that obviously
Depending on your goals for Racing, it doesn't have to be more expensive than Driver Education Events. The big difference is the cost to insure the car. Usually, people renting you a more expensive car will require for you to insure it.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:58 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

+1 on Speedsport, I really like working with them and have used them for all of my street car service for 10+ years.

I did some research on arrive and drive for Palmer, LRP and WGI the last couple of years. I rented a Miata from Rosmar Racing (the actual renter through SCDA) at LRP and a Miata at Palmer through the track club itself. Both worked out well and were relatively low cost but the cars were pretty long in the tooth. I could not find anything for WGI and did not research NJMP.

I am personally over tracking a street car beyond a few fun sessions here and there. I am only interested in dedicated race cars right now. I think the best option in the NE is to buy your own racecar and then either have a shop like Speedsport handle storage and transport and support or get a truck and trailer. If you don't mind throwing a little more money at it, the absolute most convenient option is to join MMC and store your car there. Then you can have SST transport it to other tracks as you desire. That is what I settled on...

I have a Global MX-5 Cup and a 981 Clubsport. They are both fantastic but lately I have been really enjoying the challenge of finding the last few seconds in the GMX5. It is not as fast or sonorous as the CS but is it very challenging and rewarding. I'd say spend less on the car and more on the support if you have to make a choice.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:18 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

transport is a bigger factor in cost, especially with higher gas prices. Going to Sebring from the northeast is much more costly than Lime Rock.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:25 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 783 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
transport is a bigger factor in cost, especially with higher gas prices. Going to Sebring from the northeast is much more costly than Lime Rock.
It's a little lower now, but lots of folks were figuring almost $3 a mile for a large transporter. It's probably down to $2.50, but still significant.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:27 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Arrive and drive for DE? This is hilarious.....
The following 3 users liked this post by winders:
9114609048 (10-01-2022), Matt Lane (10-01-2022), quickboxster (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 06:00 PM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, will definitely look into Speedsport.

I did track my GT3 a bunch of times, but didn't feel the safest at tracks like WGI and VIR. For the piece of mind probably want a fully caged car, which would mean having someone like Speedsport manage it since I live in NYC and no room for trailer, tow vehicle etc. I also really prefer the rawness of race cars, especially challenging cars to drive like the GT3 cup. Road cars on track feel weird, especially if they've got full leather and deviated stitching and fancy PTS paint.

Other viable option probably is a slower car like a 981 S or just keep doing the full arrive and drive thing.

I did look into Monticello, and like the track and facility but I can't get myself to pay that much for what is a hobby plus I want to do many other tracks.

Last edited by pewpewpew3000; 10-01-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:51 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Arrive and drive for DE? This is hilarious.....
It comes down to the best use of my time.

If my car is already in my trailer and I need to drop it off at Speedsport, which is only 20 minutes from my house, it will still take me at least an hour. Add another hour to pick it up.

Getting to the track and dropping off the trailer, also loading it when I am going home, is more time. A typical HPDE weekend would cost me 3 - 4 hours of my own time.

Add to that the fact that it makes it far more enjoyable to have people who know what they are doing working on my car. I can do basic stuff, but I do not have enough knowledge to keep a Cup car on track. I barely have enough to work on my 944.

If I can earn more in those hours than it costs to pay someone else, it is actually a waste of time for me to do it myself. That is how I justify it and the Speedsport guys are worth their weight in gold.

BTW - Speedsport does not charge support at HPDE - just transport. If you are a current customer they are at all CVR events. Just another plus of working with them!
Old 10-01-2022, 07:35 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

A Cup Car for DE? This is hilarious.....
Old 10-01-2022, 08:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Look, I know you like to yank people's chains here on RL. Hell, I do as well! That's a big part of the fun of being here.

But if you want to suggest I should only drive my Cup in a race, and never just for the pure fun of it, you and I are just going to have to disagree.

That's like being married to a Victoria's Secret model and only having sex when you want to have a kid.

Where are your priorities?
The following 7 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
9114609048 (10-01-2022), jazztrip (10-03-2022), ldamelio (10-03-2022), Mike Roblin (10-03-2022), mike1111 (10-02-2022), PGas32 (10-01-2022), ProCoach (10-01-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-01-2022, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

I agree. I took an old car to my first DE.

The following 6 users liked this post by 9114609048:
ldamelio (10-03-2022), LuigiVampa (10-01-2022), mclaudio (10-05-2022), Mike Roblin (10-03-2022), ProCoach (10-01-2022), T&T Racing (10-02-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Run own car vs arrive and drive for HPDE