Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor jack recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 04:44 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I have one of the big Sears aluminum jobs (no longer available?) which I still use at home but got this smaller one to bring to the track and to have a second one at home. So far so good.

Roadster jack

Old 11-11-2022, 07:19 PM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 293 Likes on 120 Posts

I really don’t understand why people who decide to spend 100 thousand dollars or more on a car, then also decide to skimp on vital equipment such as jacks and stands.

There’s an old racing adage that goes “If you have a cheap head, then buy a cheap helmet.” It can also be said that if you have a cheap life, then buy a cheap jack.

I’ve read many threads with people recommending cheap jacks (and jack stands), and these definitely aren’t tools you want to skimp on. Harbor Freight, Craftsman, and far too many other makes are just rebranded/repainted versions of the same “Made in China” POS jacks. These jacks are poorly manufactured with shoddy components and seals that might last a few years if they're only used once or twice a year. Why keep buying shoddy Chinese-made throwaway jacks every couple of years when a high-quality $400 jack will last a lifetime AND be much less expensive over the long run?

Oftentimes you get what you pay for, and "saving" a few dollars (in the short-term) on cheap POS jacks and jack stands isn’t worth the safety risk either. Potentially getting crushed under a car with some extra money in my wallet just doesn’t seem like a good risk/reward trade-off to me. Simply put, I won't trust my life or my limbs to Chinese jacks or jack stands.

I prefer using high quality tools that are built to last. I have a Danish made AC Hydraulic DK20 4,400 lb (2,000 kg) low profile floor jack and US made Hein-Werner 3-Ton jack stands. The DK20 is an outstanding floor jack with excellent fit, finish and build quality. The jack is priced at around $400 and is an excellent value for the money. I bought mine in 2012 (which averages out to only $40/year so far), and it’s still going strong. This jack will probably last me a lifetime. The DK20 is 16 inches wide and very stable with an extremely low saddle height of about 3.2 inches (for 4 inches past the saddle) and a maximum lift height of almost 20 inches. The DK20 can jack up an entire side of my Spyder, M3, M240i, MX-5, and even my wife’s X5. I highly recommend the AC Hydraulic DK20 floor jack.

AC Hydraulic DK20 4,400 lb Floor Jack.
The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (11-12-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 09:00 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

I get the comment re: jack stands, but there's no aspect of my life that depends on a jack, since I don't crawl under a car supported by only a jack.
The following 3 users liked this post by stownsen914:
MattUF (11-15-2022), Nowanker (11-12-2022), ZnZBar 986S (11-21-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 10:47 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 385 Likes on 250 Posts

Uncle-by-marriage was killed when the jack supporting the car slipped.
Co worker cheated death when the jack supporting his 4000 lb Firebird blew out.
He had just rolled out from under it seconds before.
Several years ago, the head of SCCA tech died under the car from jack failure.

They tell you a thousand times, and common sense dictates...
JACKSTANDS.
Don't cheap out on those!
ProCoach (01-18-2023)
Old 11-12-2022, 12:32 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As Outlaw notes above, love my AC Jacks - Automotive Floor Jacks, Jack Stands, and Accessories - ACJACKS.com
Old 11-12-2022, 04:40 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
I get the comment re: jack stands, but there's no aspect of my life that depends on a jack, since I don't crawl under a car supported by only a jack.
I don’t even put fingers or toes under a car supported by only a jack.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Uncle-by-marriage was killed when the jack supporting the car slipped.
JACKSTANDS.
Don't cheap out on those!
Yes, and the old engineering maxim: Two is one, and one is none.

It's a good reminder to always use two jack stands.

jscott82 (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 09:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
I really don’t understand why people who decide to spend 100 thousand dollars or more on a car, then also decide to skimp on vital equipment such as jacks and stands.

There’s an old racing adage that goes “If you have a cheap head, then buy a cheap helmet.” It can also be said that if you have a cheap life, then buy a cheap jack.

I’ve read many threads with people recommending cheap jacks (and jack stands), and these definitely aren’t tools you want to skimp on. Harbor Freight, Craftsman, and far too many other makes are just rebranded/repainted versions of the same “Made in China” POS jacks. These jacks are poorly manufactured with shoddy components and seals that might last a few years if they're only used once or twice a year. Why keep buying shoddy Chinese-made throwaway jacks every couple of years when a high-quality $400 jack will last a lifetime AND be much less expensive over the long run?

Oftentimes you get what you pay for, and "saving" a few dollars (in the short-term) on cheap POS jacks and jack stands isn’t worth the safety risk either. Potentially getting crushed under a car with some extra money in my wallet just doesn’t seem like a good risk/reward trade-off to me. Simply put, I won't trust my life or my limbs to Chinese jacks or jack stands.

I prefer using high quality tools that are built to last. I have a Danish made AC Hydraulic DK20 4,400 lb (2,000 kg) low profile floor jack and US made Hein-Werner 3-Ton jack stands. The DK20 is an outstanding floor jack with excellent fit, finish and build quality. The jack is priced at around $400 and is an excellent value for the money. I bought mine in 2012 (which averages out to only $40/year so far), and it’s still going strong. This jack will probably last me a lifetime. The DK20 is 16 inches wide and very stable with an extremely low saddle height of about 3.2 inches (for 4 inches past the saddle) and a maximum lift height of almost 20 inches. The DK20 can jack up an entire side of my Spyder, M3, M240i, MX-5, and even my wife’s X5. I highly recommend the AC Hydraulic DK20 floor jack.

AC Hydraulic DK20 4,400 lb Floor Jack.
Sorry but this is bs. You can crap on the quality of chinese products all you want but youre flat out wrong about harbor freight jacks. Ive regularly used my 3 ton long reach low profile jack that i paid 70 bucks for over the past 6 years and its perfect. Taken to the track, bounced around in trailers, soaked in oil and coolant, etc. Same exact experience with my friends. I will absolutely buy another. You want to waste money, thats your business, but dont post this biased uninformed misinformation.

The hf and other aluminum 2ton are flimsy. They work, but they twist a lot. Those i would avoid
The following 3 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
hbdunn (11-13-2022), MattUF (11-15-2022), ZnZBar 986S (11-21-2022)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:44 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Sorry but this is bs. You can crap on the quality of chinese products all you want but youre flat out wrong about harbor freight jacks. Ive regularly used my 3 ton long reach low profile jack that i paid 70 bucks for over the past 6 years and its perfect. Taken to the track, bounced around in trailers, soaked in oil and coolant, etc. Same exact experience with my friends. I will absolutely buy another. You want to waste money, thats your business, but dont post this biased uninformed misinformation.

The hf and other aluminum 2ton are flimsy. They work, but they twist a lot. Those i would avoid

Is it steel? I could use a long reach low profile jack but they probably aren't $70 in 2023.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
You mispelled R-o-l-e-x...

But ya Brunnhoelzl is the shiznit you want to afford it..

Ah, but Rolex prices are dropping and Brunnhoelzl are going the other way!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-19-2023, 10:27 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been using a Harbor Freight Dayton jack for nearly a decade; it lives in my trailer, gets beat up works perfectly. I also have a Quickjack lift in the trailer for serious repairs.

Well worth the money:
1.5 ton Ultra-Low-Profile Lightweight High Performance Aluminum Racing Jack with RAPID PUMP (harborfreight.com)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
Is it steel? I could use a long reach low profile jack but they probably aren't $70 in 2023.
yes steel. Not terribly heavy

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...red-56617.html

More expensive yes, but there are sales. I'd consider buying the daytona version if you don't mind a few more bucks.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...nge-64241.html
Old 01-20-2023, 05:27 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a Daytona and love it, but that beast stays home. The product page says 103 lbs. That's whacked for one you use at the track.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

I use one of these at the track:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ump-58393.html

Wonderful jack....
Old 01-20-2023, 10:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

They're expensive,but I love my AC hydraulics jack. Low pad height, like 1.5", long reach and lifts 39"...

Quick Reply: Floor jack recommendation