Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the stance on tipping HPDE instructors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 11:21 AM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Good point. I prefer to think of challenging and difficult students as those who don't know enough to form an accurate and limited expectation about their pending experience. The better you can sketch that out, the easier the goals will be to attain and the more satisfied and open the student will tend to be, IMO.

I agree with the benefit of some in-depth discussion before going out first time, but in practically all groups I run with (PCA, Audi, BMW, Hod, Chin, Ferrari..) the first morning is very full of stuff to do and no time is allocated for instructor-novice interactions. Most amateur instructors (gentlemen instructors?) like myself also need time fiddling with their own car in the morning etc.

Still, I make sure that I always have some chat with the student before going out, but it will usually be very brief. I do try to manage expectations by telling them that in my very first session I drove the entire track in fourth gear, as it would have been unthinkable to take a hand of the steering wheel to switch gears... Of course, the real high achievers have paddle shifters, so that story loses some of its salience...
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 11:23 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyHabits
^To ProCoach point concerning pre event preparation having a direct correlation to on track positive experience;
I mentioned in a prior post a reference to a really top notch instructor from Jersey I was fortunate to have instruct me at Sebring. This instructor reached out to me several days prior to the event, and during the course of our conversation he asked what books or other educational materials I might have read or looked at. When I replied I just finished Bentley's Speed Secrets, he suggested I re-read the chapters on braking. Guess what, we really cleaned up my braking!
NNJR instructors always talk to their students a few days before the event. So much can be learned about each other and it really puts the student at ease. Even when I instruct with regions or groups that don’t require that pre event contact between student and instructor, I will always email and then talk to the student before the event, usually a few days before.
It really does make the students experience much more relaxed, especially if they are really nervous to begin with. Nice post.
ProCoach (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 11:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

That connection that @NastyHabits makes over something as simple as “what have you read in preparation?” is terrific and serves many good ways to establish a positive, constructive interaction.

@dgrobs reaching out for a ten or fifteen minute call in advance can do even more, especially for those instructors who know they have limited time to establish the connection the first morning.

These are great examples to insure starting off best foot forward.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

dgrobs (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 08:39 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

Yup, I've refined my pre-event student contact over time, and I definitely think it helps get over some of the initial trepidation. Emails have turned into phone calls on occasion, and it's great. SO much better to get some basic recon and questions out of the way before a busy 1st morning in the paddock.

While it sets the stage, the pre-session interview is where you really get a sense of personality and actual mindset - no matter what you've been led to believe in advance

I'll make time for the interview even at the expense of my 1st run if necessary. Lots of time to drive, would much prefer to get off on the right foot with my student. Or sometimes less 'right foot' LOL.

Cheers

Matt

The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Lane:
Mike Roblin (12-14-2022), ProCoach (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 08:53 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

So back to the original matter, I received a bottle of Lebanese ouzo style liquor from my last student. Greatly appreciated and absolutely not turned down.

Last edited by mhm993; 12-13-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:08 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Raki can kill you, it's not a tip, it's a plot

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-15-2022, 11:12 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Raki can kill you, it's not a tip, it's a plot

Cheers

Matt
Good think its Arak, not Raki
mhm993 (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 09:14 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Good think its Arak, not Raki
Definitely not going to instigate a war with the Lebanese, Turks and Cretans

Cheers

Matt

Old 12-18-2022, 02:39 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Was at a meeting with our DE team today and mentioned this thread. NO one ever heard of anyone tipping a DE instructor ever, at any DE event in our region.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:14 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Was at a meeting with our DE team today and mentioned this thread. NO one ever heard of anyone tipping a DE instructor ever, at any DE event in our region.
It happens, I have received a couple track t-shirts and bottles of wine at multi-day events, never solicited.... though I may have "mentioned" i'm into nice Amarone's..

Quick Reply: What's the stance on tipping HPDE instructors?